National Hockey League 2012-13

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Should be interesting.

If Edmonton stays at 1, it's possible they'll pick Ryan Murray, because that's their one glaring need. If that happens, I've heard that Columbus may go with Alex Galchenyuk, which means Nail Yakupov falls to Montreal, which would be fantastic.

The Islanders might then opt for Filip Forsberg or Matt Dumba, or Griffin Reinhart. If they go the defensive route, then Toronto will go with a forward, which likely means Forsberg.

I, personally, hope Galchenyuk is available at 3 for Montreal.

Should be interesting.

If Edmonton stays at 1, it's possible they'll pick Ryan Murray, because that's their one glaring need. If that happens, I've heard that Columbus may go with Alex Galchenyuk, which means Nail Yakupov falls to Montreal, which would be fantastic.

The Islanders might then opt for Filip Forsberg or Matt Dumba, or Griffin Reinhart. If they go the defensive route, then Toronto will go with a forward, which likely means Forsberg.

I, personally, hope Galchenyuk is available at 3 for Montreal.

You got Galechenyuk.

Any truth to the rumor Edmonton passed on Murray because they didn't want to put a team with 20 guys named Ryan on the ice next season.

You got Galechenyuk.

Any truth to the rumor Edmonton passed on Murray because they didn't want to put a team with 20 guys named Ryan on the ice next season.

Ha! Hadn't considered that. :wink:

Really, really pleased with the Montreal pick. He's high risk, high reward, but could wind up being the most talented of the draft. And the Habs haven't had a big presence down the middle in at least two decades.

This was definitely a defense-heavy first round. Presumably, Toronto could have gone with Mikhail Grigorenko, a big and talented centre, but they opted for an offensive dynamo on the back end. Grigorenko ended up sliding down to Buffalo at 12.

Steal of the draft goes to Washington, picking Swedish power forward Filip Forsberg, who some thought might go at 2 or 3.

Can't believe the Bruins picked a Subban! I'm sure Brad Marchand is thrilled. :wink:

And, Peef, the Flyers didn't pick a defenceman in the first round, but they did pick rugged two-way centre Scott Laughton, who's strong on both ends of the ice, blocks shots, etc. In terms of playing style, he is being compared to...Mike Richards.

Someone asked: "If the Flyers like Richards' style so much, why did they trade him?"

Because he got his big money and decided to just drink all the time instead of busting his ass, which is what earned him his contract in the first place.

JVR for Luke Schenn. I like it. JVR is chronically injured and a little soft. Schenn fills a hole.

Well, for Mark (Kramwest) and any other Minnesota Wild fans, today is a good day: the Wild have locked up both Ryan Suter AND Zach Parise to long term deals.

That actually restores my faith a little bit because, for once, the usual suspects of Detroit, Chicago, Philly, NY Rangers, and Toronto, were shut out.

This, of course, means that Philly will now go hard on Rick Nash and/or Bobby Ryan.

Yeah cus Toronto is always getting all the top free agents :rolleyes:

I will agree that Toronto always has rumours of getting big names but when push comes to shove that hasn't happened since before the lockout...

Looks like the Wild are going to be a force next season, thats for sure.

It can go either way: it could be a bargain in 4-5 years or not.

Context is important when it comes to these contracts. Sure, Jonathan Quick got a lower cap hit, bit his term is longer, which allows to spread the money out.

Plus, you're essentially buying four of his prime free agency years, and that doesn't come cheap.

Also, Montreal will ALWAYS have to pay more to attract talent, if for no other reason than to make up the tax deficit that exists in Quebec. It's just a part of their reality, so given all that, the deal seems decent.

Well if they choose not to match their rebuilding efforts won't be too difficult considering they will get four Philadelphia Flyer 1st round picks.

Please match, Nashville. Dick move, Philly.

And as far as a lockout is concerned... The NHL is finally back on their feet. Talk about one step forward and two steps back...

I don't think they're that stupid. They'll figure something out.

Well if they choose not to match their rebuilding efforts won't be too difficult considering they will get four Philadelphia Flyer 1st round picks.

Please match, Nashville. Dick move, Philly.

A lot of comments I've read state that this is a calculated move by Philly because those picks will, in all likelihood, in the bottom half of the first round.

But it's a gamble to be sure, particularly when you consider that Claude Giroux was drafted 22nd overall. Good hockey players can be found in the later stages of the draft (see Red Wings, Detroit).

Another thing to consider: it appears that if there is a salary rollback in the next CBA, it is likely that signing bonuses will not be affected. So Holmgren offered Weber $26 million in bonuses that will be paid from now until July 1, 2013, which means that in order to match, Nashville would have to fork over 16 per cent of their entire franchise's net worth ($163 million in 2011 according to Forbes magazine) in one calendar year to ONE PLAYER.

Cap floors are more important than cap ceilings, man. I don't feel sorry for a team in a cap sport not having the money to pay.

You're saying that as a fan of one of the wealthiest teams in the league.

I don't ever want the NHL to become the EPL, where Chelsea, Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal battle it out year in and year out and every once in a while another team manages to work their way into the conversation.

PhilsFan said:
Cap floors are more important than cap ceilings, man. I don't feel sorry for a team in a cap sport not having the money to pay.

Don't feel sorry for? Who said this was about feeling sorry for them? The Flyers just took all contract negotiation leverage away from Nashville on an absurd contract where Nashville more likely than not will still match.

Philly basically just said that despite the fact that he's your property, we are going to tell you how much you're going to pay him.

BoMac said:
You're saying that as a fan of one of the wealthiest teams in the league.

I don't ever want the NHL to become the EPL, where Chelsea, Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal battle it out year in and year out and every once in a while another team manages to work their way into the conversation.

I think all teams should spend more. If you don't have the money to stay competitive financially, don't buy a team. I feel that way about all sports. I remember when the Phillies were cheap. It blew.

LuckyNumber7 said:
Don't feel sorry for? Who said this was about feeling sorry for them? The Flyers just took all contract negotiation leverage away from Nashville on an absurd contract where Nashville more likely than not will still match.

Philly basically just said that despite the fact that he's your property, we are going to tell you how much you're going to pay him.

Isn't that sort of what restricted free agency is?

Back
Top Bottom