National Hockey League 2012-13

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rumours abound of a Rick Nash to Flyers trade being held up by JVR's surgery.

If true, that would be crazy as it's in no way addressing the Flyers' real weaknesses: goaltending and defense. They do not need another forward.

I have to wonder, however, if some of these long-term mega-deals are really the doings of the owner and not the general manager and the GM, in turn, is left to clean up the mess.

Not sure if Ed Snider is that kind of owner but, in retrospect, what GM in their right mind would give such a huge deal to Bryzgalov?

Snider is a very hands-on owner who has a lot of say. The basic structure in Philly is that Snider puts forth general commands ("I've had it with this shit, get me a franchise goaltender") and Homer tried to work within the confines of that. The 2011 offseason was one of the best performances by a general manager ever (turning Richards and Carter into Couturier, Schenn, Voracek and Simmonds while also adding Read), even if you consider Bryzgalov a mistake. It at least keeps the team competitive for many years to come.

And it's not like Bryzgalov is bad. He just may never live up to his contract. There are worse things to be. He actually played really well towards the end of the regular season until he got hurt, and it seemed to disrupt all of his momentum heading into the playoffs. He also suffered because the Flyers defense was atrocious. With Pronger and Meszaros out, the team was playing stiffs like Lilja and Bourdon who had no business being out there. And don't get me started on Carle.

I cannot blame Homer for wanting to get rid of JVR now. That contract is a trainwreck, and he is the team's most tradable piece since other teams still see him as being potentially very solid. What I can blame him for is giving him the contract in the first place. The problem is that the team has often been too quick to reward players for great playoff performances. JVR and Richards are two prime examples.

If the Flyers can get Weber or Suter, I'll be feeling pretty good going into 2012-2013, no matter what happens with this JVR situation.

Of course. But the point was obviously to overpay a bit in order to lock him up. There's no question the contract is too big, and that the length was placed upon it in order to lessen the cap hit from year-to-year. The question is, did they overpay too much? That's where it gets hazy.

While I understand that the goal was to lessen cap hit, I'm still making a case in point that no goalie should ever receive a contract for that long, period. There's a nice list of Vezina nominees who have had a window of success lasting three to four years. Either hunt low risk-high reward like normal or just buy an average goalie.

Buying a 'franchise' goalie simply doesn't exist. Acquiring one does. The only other alternative to that is drafting one and taking the four or five year goalie development period by buying into goalies like Jose Theodore for two year contracts.

Devils player picked up a major + game misconduct for hitting a Kings player into the boards from behind and bloodying his face, Kings scored thrice on the power play. The end.

I dunno. I don't know that it was a malicious hit, but it was incredibly dumb.

The Devils gave 'er a go. If they had won tonight, I figured them to win Game 7. The Kings obviously didn't give them that chance. Good to see some new blood win the Cup.

Kings fans didn't boo Bettman mercilessly. I take back everything nice I've ever said about them.

Anybody else notice the Stanley Cups on the blonde behind the Devils' bench? The camera crew was cutting over to there a lot.

^^^ That's right!

How awesome it was seeing Richie and Gagne hoisting the cup...Carter can still go piss off ;)

Also Hexy gets a ring...all in all, I'm satisfied with the win by Flyers West.

Back
Top Bottom