National Hockey League 2012-13

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So Bob Hartley is the new head coach in Calgary.That narrow it down to 2 candidates for the Head coach job for the habs.Therrien or Crawford.

So unfortunate that language is limiting are field for the job.Its stupid,it's stinks and it's dumb.

And in more former Flyers on the Kings news: Simon Gagné is expected to make a surprise return to the lineup tonight.

This move probably has more to do with a desire for more offense, but I can't help but think that a very, very small reason is to allow Gagné to get his name engraved on the Stanley Cup in the event of a Kings win.

The criteria to get your name on the Cup is 41 regular season games or one Stanley Cup finals appearance. As such, Gagné falls just short, playing 34 games before getting injured.

I know coaches have done this in the past so, if this is the case, it's a classy - if not presumptuous - move by Darryl Sutter.

The entire world series is on national T.V (FOX)

The entire NBA final is on national T.V. (ABC)

The stanley cup clitching game will be on????..cable......pathetic.

Way to go Gary.

So Michel Thérrien is Habs new..(sort of) head coach.

Second time around for a HC fails most of the time.I doubt it will be different with a guy who got fired 4 months before another guy wins them the cup.

LUNEDEMINUIT said:
The entire world series is on national T.V (FOX)

The entire NBA final is on national T.V. (ABC)

The stanley cup clitching game will be on????..cable......pathetic.

Way to go Gary.

There was no demand for hockey on national TV coming out of the lockout in 2005. Not sure what you think Bettman should have done.

This season was the first year of the new T.V deal with NBC (10 YEARS /2 billions $) Bettman couldn't get NBC to broadcast all the games of the stanley cup final with the new deal.And that will be the case for the entire duration of the contract,btw.

Sorry,but if you can't showcase your Championship series,even if it's only for 2 games,(when a series ends in 4 like it will be the case this year)it looks bad.

Agree with Midnight Moon, for once.

Was Game 1 on NBC or NBC Sports Network? I'm not sure but, in any event, Game 1 had 2.9 million viewers, a rerun of "2 Broke Girls" had 4.2 million, and a rerun of "Rules of Engagement" had 6.4 million.

It's a combination of this being a less than compelling series so far, with a style of hockey on display that is effective, but far from attractive, and the presence of the Devils. I think the numbers would have been far better had the Rangers made it.

Sorry,but if you can't showcase your Championship series,even if it's only for 2 games,(when a series ends in 4 like it will be the case this year)it looks bad.

They did showcase it for 2 games, games 1 and 2 were on NBC.
Its backwards thinking, but frankly the interest in the series outside of LA was probably highest before game 1, I doubt there's many casual fans too hyped up about things now, unlike last year with a tightly contested 7 game series.

Agree with Midnight Moon, for once.

Was Game 1 on NBC or NBC Sports Network? I'm not sure but, in any event, Game 1 had 2.9 million viewers, a rerun of "2 Broke Girls" had 4.2 million, and a rerun of "Rules of Engagement" had 6.4 million.

1 and 2 were both on NBC, so if game 1 got slaughtered by reruns of middle of the road sitcoms, I can understand NBC not putting any further games on the parent network. They probably fared much better last night with "America's Got Howards"... sad, but true.

They won't get each other, for the time being. NBC Sports is the first attempt by a major corporation (Comcast) to challenge what Disney has done with ESPN. Their signature sport, their biggest draw? The NHL. ESPN has everything else. NBC Sports would probably fold before they'd let the NHL go.

One advantage NBC Sports has is the fact that they are owned by the same company that owns and operates every Comcast Sportsnet in the country. ESPN lacks that sort of affiliate-based network of operations (only Fox Sports can compete with that, and they have not established anything like ESPN or NBC Sports at this point). But the network is too young to figure out a way to use that to its advantage. So far, all it has been able to muster is a rotating cast of analysts from CSN cities making appearances on daily sports talk shows. There must be more. It is one of the few things the network has going for it.

Naturally, the NHL is going to get pummeled in the ratings game. It has little to do with the fact that NBC Sports is a cable channel, though. I mean, most of these playoff games for the NBA appeared on TNT and ESPN.

It has much more to do with the fact that, outside of select regions, hockey is a distant fourth in the American consciousness. I happen to be from Philadelphia, a city (and really, a whole state) where the sport happens to have flourished. But in the second largest city in the country, a city with the hottest team in the sport making one of the greatest playoff runs of all-time, there's barely any support at all. There is not even a local interest in the sport in many places, let alone a national interest that would draw huge ratings.

Oh yeah, for sure. Pre-lockout though, the NHL as a whole wasn't so outcasted (despite the fact that the individual bad teams were). Now, post lockout, even almost 10 years later, the league is very... pushed aside. I'd say that it's more than a 'fourth sport' at this point. When you start to factor in NCAA basketball, football, international soccer, etc., the NHL really appears incredibly weak.

Even so, I think they should abandon the idea of overtaking any of the other three professional team sports.

It's still a $3 billion sport, but they should really focus on strengthening the markets they have now.

Why the Kings are taking it easy with a minute left on the PK I'm not quite sure.

They should be going all in right now. They're winning 3-0 and losing game 4 1-2. Goalie should be pulled for 5-on-5 hockey. They've got a chance to win it tonight, I dunno why it looks like they're just trying to not allow another goal.

NHL and NBCSportsNetworkformerlyknownasVSformerlyknownasOutdoorLifeNetwork must be thrilled the Celts/Heat is going to a game 7 at the same time as the Kings winning the cup in game 5.

Back
Top Bottom