National Hockey League 2012-13

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sooooo.. who's got the best chance to overcome the 1-3 deficit?

Habs or Leafs ?

I'll go with the Leafs,even though they'll have to win 2 games in Boston to achieve that.Habs have too many injuries with Prust,Eller,Gionta,White,Price. And even though he's in the line up,Pacioretty doesn't do anything on the ice do to that what ever injury he's got.

So game 7 tonight and the Leafs are here resting comfortably in Boston, Bruins still in Toronto due to airplane issues, no sleep....not a good sign.

glad i was only listening on radio. i didn't have to actually see it

So its the morning after and I'm a little numb, only the Leafs could take something as positive as making it to the playoffs for the first time in 9 years, taking the Boston Bruins to 7 games and somehow, someway, manage to still embarrass themselves.

I could complain about the Bruins playing one of the dirtiest games I have ever witnessed and the refs somehow being completely oblivious to it but whatever, I honestly don't have the energy.

I'm gonna rant a sec. I don't go off about hockey alot because in my family it's not something you write about - we play, cheer, boo, curse, break tvs and objects over, but we don't write about it. But am I ever about to.

Fuck sportsmanship and better luck next year guys. This is so pathetic now it's not even funny anymore. If you don't want to read stop now. If you take this personally because you come from Toronto, well maybe it's finally time for Torontonians to start fucking taking it personally.

I'm not Torontonian by birth. I'm born in Montreal and am proudly a Habs fan, and as such I am obligated to be sworn enemies of the Boston Bruins.

So given that I have lived in Toronto most of my adult life and the rivalry with Boston, I had millions of reasons to hope in my secretest of hopes that the Leafs actually would prevail against Boston.

And the Leafs, again, blow it. Again. For the who knows how many dozens-th time in my life.

There was an article someone posted from Deadspin and the premise was "why would you ever raise your child to be a Leafs fan?" Indeed, why? To teach them what it's like to be a loser, year after year?

Torontonians are too pathetic to ever demand success and accountability. Until fans are willing to turn off the TV, not buy seasons tickets, leave the ACC half full for games on end, nothing will change. This shit cannot happen in Montreal year after year. The city burns and heads roll. In Toronto, the fat cats just get fatter while they laugh all the way to the bank.

We need a team in Hamilton. Fuck the stats and all the money-centric boardroom arguments, there's a psychological dependence factor missing here with a close rival. The Sabres aren't close enough and they are American. Any self-respecting Southern Ontario hockey fan that wants to jump on the Buffalo bandwagon should likely just fuck off anyways. Just like a potential return of the Nordiques would absolutely re-ignite the fire under the Habs collective asses, the addition of a Hamilton NHL team would do wonders for getting the Maple Laughs organization shook down, and then some. Sorry Toronto but that's the truth and every self-respecting hockey fan knows it.

Toronto hockey is to the Canadian sporting world what Cleveland is to the American sporting world. A fucking joke! And yet, no offense to Cleveland, but it aint Toronto! Toronto is a world class city, a top tourist destination, and yet our hockey team is the laughingstock of the NHL year after year...in a province that produces as much if not even a bit more NHL talent than any other, and in CANADA. Where hockey reigns supreme.

The second sentence of that article I referenced earlier reads: "There isn't a Toronto fan under the age of 50 who knows what it's like to end a season happily." What the hell??? It's patently atrocious, and disgraceful. At least I can hold my head up high with the Habs. I've lived through, and experienced, not only far trips into the playoffs, but at least 7 or 8 Stanley Cup wins! In my lifetime!!

Fuck the Leafs, seriously. For all my allegiances and the obligatory hatred for Boston that is supposed to entail, the Bruins played with the hearts of champs and thoroughly deserve to march on. The Leafs did exactly what was expected of them: choke.

You can hold your head up high as a habs fan?! :lmao:

I would rather go 7 games against the Bruins than get beat in 5 games by the fucking Ottawa Senators.

Go hold your head up high up your ass.

Don't be ridiculous. The Leafs have given you little, if anything, in your lifetime, to be proud of.

The Canadiens on the other hand are absolutely an organization worthy of having pride in, in my lifetime. Any idea to the contrary is just a complete failure at objectivity.

But nice way to make it personal. :up: :lol:

Oh my god you're right, this whole time I've been living a lie!

Oh why couldn't I like a better hockey team like the Montreal Canadiens?!!!

Why can't I ever be proud of anything?! My life is a constant failure because I can't be proud of the Maple Leafs because they always lose and they are a bunch of losers!!!!

Please.

Don't write a long winded rant in the hockey thread about my team the morning after they suffer a humiliating loss and not expect me to take it personal.

Well then mission accomplished. I had no idea you were such a passionate Leafs fan, but that's probably a good thing (that you are). Because that's exactly what we need, passionate fans to realize that Toronto needs to collectively wake the fuck up.

You can take it personal all you want, but if you start flinging personal insults back at people, that's when it gets into objectionable territory.

Too bad in your seething anger at my rant aimed at noone in particular, especially you, who I respect, you fail to see a genuinely passionate fan of the game of hockey who actually wished he could have something to root for in the city he's called home for most of his adult life. Or, that I was addressing the bigger issues that continue to support a losing hockey system in a city and province that has no rational excuse for it.

I mean, it's not like it didn't leap off the page in several different paragraphs.. :rolleyes: :lol:

I've heard all this before, hell, I've said all this before and it's not going to change in our life times.

Sorry but you are wasting your time.

Did you see how many people stood outside the ACC every game this series? Do they do that in Montreal? Do they do that to that level in any other city in the US or Canada not for one game but every game, home and away?

The city of Toronto loves the Leafs, winning a bit seems to really bring it out but even when they lose it doesn't seem to matter.

If that makes us losers or idiots then I guess thats what we are. If you don't like it then I would suggest moving because I honestly don't see it ever stopping.

I've heard all this before, hell, I've said all this before and it's not going to change in our life times.

Sorry but you are wasting your time.

Did you see how many people stood outside the ACC every game this series? Do they do that in Montreal? Do they do that to that level in any other city in the US or Canada not for one game but every game, home and away?

The city of Toronto loves the Leafs, winning a bit seems to really bring it out but even when they lose it doesn't seem to matter.

If that makes us losers or idiots then I guess thats what we are. If you don't like it then I would suggest moving because I honestly don't see it ever stopping.

We agree, fans in other cities don't do that, win or lose.

And you're right, it doesn't seem to matter.

I'm just saying that this is isn't necessarily something to admire, rather it's more like the crux of the problem, because it's just about bandwagoning and cheering for some notion of pride of city, not a love of the sport or a desire to win/succeed to a respectable level.

I guess being born in a different culture does that to a person. Hockey is life! Like soccer for people in soccer mad cultures, I guess?

Back
Top Bottom