National Hockey League 2011-2012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
pUPWT.gif

YouTube - ‪24 7 Pens Caps Final Segment‬‏

Canadiens1131, those are epic! :lol:

I don't know what to make of the Montreal signings. I haven't seen the team play healthy for so long, I don't know what to expect. I am looking forward to it though. I miss hockey!:crack:

Who said boring free agency?

Pfft. Most exciting free agency ever. Now you know how I NORMALLY feel.

We took just about every winger available lol. We ruined the market, and now there are 6 teams under the cap floor and we've got a bloated Steve Reinprecht contract. Any takers?

Best part about this is that all of the contracts are a total transitional roster. They all expire in 4 years. We'll have tons of money down the road to ink all of our youngsters.

You guys paid 4.5 for the next 4 years for thomas fleichman... :|

The whole day was idiotic, Lieno has played, what? A season and a half and buffalo throws 33 million at him? Really?

Why does it matter what we paid him? We're STILL not at the cap floor. Of course it had to be done.

Once we sign Matthias and Santorelli we should be sitting just above the cap floor. I'm sure if a guy like Brad Richards was interested in a 4 year $36 million deal in Florida, we would've had him, too. It's apparent to me that Dale Tallon threw money at every single player he could. And he definitely threw off the market.

Now, in four years time, all of these contracts are off the book. Until then, we have from the floor to the cap to spend to make additions, and only Dimitry Kulikov to sign to a significant contract (barring a setback in talent).

Of course the Fleischmann contract was 'overpaid' but that's completely contextual. If the Flyers or Blackhawks would've done that it would've been moronic. Fortunately, Florida finally has a GM that realizes how to attract some form of talent. By getting everybody off the books and overspending. There's no doubt this is a transitional roster built for the younger players to move up in, but it's pretty damn solid if you ask me.

Booth-Weiss-Versteeg
Fleischmann-Santorelli-Dadonov
Bergenheim-Goc-Upshall
Kopecky-Matthias-Bradley
(Skille)

Garrison-Weaver
Kulikov-Gudbranson
Jovanovski-Campbell
(Ellerby)

I'm excited to ice a team with some talent, not our AHL bodies. We should be anywhere from 7-12 in the standings this season, depending.

You guys paid 4.5 for the next 4 years for thomas fleichman... :|

The whole day was idiotic, Lieno has played, what? A season and a half and buffalo throws 33 million at him? Really?
Yeah, the Flyers fans bitching about us not matching that deal for Leino are insane. I liked the Briere-Hartnell-Leino line just as much as the next guy, but come on. The guy has not earned that deal.

Was it 33 mil or 27 mil over six years? Anyway I think Leino's a player.

I don't blame Philly for not matching that offer, but overall this is a whole different offense now, isn't it? Hard to believe it's been improved :scratch:

Panthers ink up Mike Santorelli for two years.

Thus finally putting them over the cap floor, despite 'overspending' on 10 different players on FA Day :lol:

Got one more player to sign, Shawn Matthias. Shouldn't be over a mil or 1.5.

Gudbranson got his ELC in Florida, so all of the hopefuls can give it up already.

I'm so flipping excited for this season, despite knowing that the team that we've pieced together is nothing more than a team competing for the 7th/8th spot. Still, couldn't say the same thing one year ago.

Stamkos agrees to five-year pact with the Bolts. Terms not released, but I'd imagine it's in the $25-30 million range.

ETA: It's $37.5 million. Wow.

5 years at 5 or 6 million per year for a 90 point 50 goal scorer? Doesn't matter how young you are... that just wouldn't make any sense.

Seems perfectly in the ballpark for what I thought he would've got.

They can't possibly get the #1 overall pick three years in a row... yeah they'll be better. Not a playoff team IMO, but having RNH and Taylor Hall on the same team in 10 years will make em look like the Chicago Blackhawks.

They still have pretty weak defence and goaltending.
Right about the defence, for sure. There is effectively a map giving teams directions to Edmonton's net right now, with complimentary drinks along the way.

I'm not sure any NHL team has to worry about goaltending anymore. I think as long as a team has an NHL-level goalie (of which there are about 75-odd floating around the league), then your chances of success are as good as any other team's.

I'd somewhat agree with that.

There's still three types of goalies. The ones who play decent, the ones who play stellar, and the ones who can play in the playoffs.

I'd somewhat agree with that.

There's still three types of goalies. The ones who play decent, the ones who play stellar, and the ones who can play in the playoffs.
Well, I agree on point 3 but I still think there is basically no difference anymore between "decent" and "stellar". But there are certainly some who can't seem to do it in the playoffs (Roberto Luongo, stand up).

Until about the mid-1990s, having a top #1 goalie (Brodeur, Hasek) was a priority and helped teams win. Nowadays, I don't think it does.

Speaking of which, when the hell is the NHL going to wake up and make the nets bigger? It's amazing to go back and see games from the 80s or early 90s when you could actually see the net behind the goalie.

I still think there's a discernible difference between a Roberto Luongo, Tim Thomas, Henrick Lundqvist, etc. vs. a Dwyane Roloson, Sergei Bobrovsky, Jose Theodore, etc.

They offer some star power that the other guys don't. They'll come up with some huge saves. There's also a notable difference in that guys in that first group are clearly starters... guys in the next group could easily end up as platoon goalies/backups.

In a series I'd take a hot second tier goalie over the Thomas, Luongo, Lundy types.

But you do want the more consistent goalies during the regular season, to ya know, actually make the playoffs. :cool:

Waiting to see if there'll be a sophomore jinx on Reimer - he's good, but young and still learning without a full season under his belt as yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom