National Hockey League 2011-2012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also just a bit of info, the Florida Panthers are hardly Miami based. They're actually Sunrise, FL, which is western Florida. .

Western? Really?
C'mon. Its what maybe 15 miles max from the Atlantic coast in Ft Lauderdale...hardly western.

Sunrise_FL.gif

:up:

Meanwhile, the atmosphere at the MTS Centre in Winnipeg last night looked incredibly insane and must have been a lot of fun. But that's nothing. Imagine...IMAGINE how loud and crazy it will be in Toronto when they finally get an NHL team.

*throws very large and very heavy things westward* :madwife:

I only got to see the pregame and most of the first period, but it looked like a hell of a party in Winnipeg last night, despite the loss :D

BoMac said:
:up:

Meanwhile, the atmosphere at the MTS Centre in Winnipeg last night looked incredibly insane and must have been a lot of fun. But that's nothing. Imagine...IMAGINE how loud and crazy it will be in Toronto when they finally get an NHL team.

Ass. Where was Montreal's team opening night? Oh yeah, thats right, they got shutout by some guys in Toronto...

Western? Really?
C'mon. Its what maybe 15 miles max from the Atlantic coast in Ft Lauderdale...hardly western.

Sunrise_FL.gif

That absolutely came out wrong...

Western South Florida was what was intended. As in... not Miami and not Ft. Lauderdale. Plantation, Weston, Tamarac, etc. it's very much so a suburban setting.

Thanks for the geography lesson.

For the record, I don't see it as a Canada/U.S. thing. But in non-traditional hockey markets in the south, the vast majority of fans in attendance will not be able to pick up the nuances of the game, even when it comes to what constitutes a penalty and why a referee called one or not, when compared to places like NYC, Boston, St. Paul, Philly etc.

And this is especially true for places that have a season ticket base of five or six thousand. The rest of the crowd is a mix of fans, from the knowledgeable to the casual observer there for a good time, people that probably wouldn't understand some of the nuances.

Am I doubting that a casual fan might not know what boarding is? Or perhaps they might not understand the jersey tie-down rule? No. However, I expect every fan minus infantile, stupid, imbeciles to not notice an illegal move such as a hook right in front of their face. And to generalize an entire crowd over it... absolutely ignorant. Yeah, and for the record, it was over a hooking call where they didn't call a penalty shot so the crowd was booing. Right, like they wouldn't have been booing in Atlanta.

And by the way, the 'geography lesson' wasn't necessarily aimed at you.

Really pissed me off though... I was watching the game on NHL Netowrk and this comment:

"It's nice that you know we're in Winnipeg when the fans actually know when a penalty shouldn't have been called"

And I'm just thinking 'fuck you asshole'. I hate that stupid stereotype 'herp derp hockey don't belong down there'. Go to hell. The fans in Atlanta knew fine well what was a penalty and what wasn't. How dare you make such an irrational, stupid statement.
A more accurate statement would have been "as opposed to a place where there aren't any fans to react at all." The problem wasn't stupid fans, it was that there were no fans.

A more accurate statement would have been "as opposed to a place where there aren't any fans to react at all." The problem wasn't stupid fans, it was that there were no fans.

Absolutely, and I wouldn't disagree. I wouldn't disagree about my team, either. I just thought it was audacious that they were taking shots at the little fans that DID show up.

I agree. I don't consider any fanbase more intelligent than any other: basically every fan base has a wide range from intelligent to stupid that is on balance for them most part. Numbers and loyalty are the variance. Which is why I hate the Tampa Rays.

There are plenty of hockey fans in Atlanta. You cannot walk through my neighborhood without tripping over someone who moved here from New York, New Jersey, New England, Pennsylvania or Michigan.

The problem wasn't a lack of hockey fans - the problem was an ownership that gave up a long time ago due to internal disputes and would not put a product on the ice. It was easier for them to give up and sell the team off than to invest and build clientele/customer base by putting a decent product together.

That and fucking Bettman allowing Phoenix to keep a team. Good luck finding a local ownership group (if you could not find one in Atlanta, what makes you think you think you can find one in Phoenix?). Also, Bettman and the NHL benefited from relocation fees (something he would not get if the team he owns in Phoenix wanted to move). Bullshit.

I watched the highlights from the games played last night. There were fewer fans in the stands at the Dallas Stars game last night than some of the worst Monday night games in Atlanta last year.

Bettman does everything he can to keep teams where they are. I think it's a bit unfair that you're getting on his case and claiming that he and the NHL are benefiting from relocation fees. If that were the case, you wouldn't see his overwhelming support for Phoenix, Nashville, Florida, Tampa, Carolina, Dallas, and Washington. He's been strongly in favor of said teams through thick and thin. I can't explain his lack of appeal for Atlanta, but I can guarantee you it has nothing to do with wanting to benefit from relocation fees because if Bettman was a strong advocate of relocation Tampa, Nashville, and Phoenix would've been long gone by now and Florida, Washington, and Dallas would be in line to leave once their time comes round.

Bettman does everything he can to keep teams where they are. I think it's a bit unfair that you're getting on his case and claiming that he and the NHL are benefiting from relocation fees.

You have lost any credibility you have ever had with me after this statement.

Explain to me why they have "saved" Phoenix (a team that was about to disappear completely into bankruptcy before the league had to take ownership) and not Atlanta?

If Bettman truly did everything he could to keep a team in a city, the Thrashers would be playing this week in Atlanta, and would be 0-2 just like the Jets. He never addressed the fans here in Atlanta. He never made an appearance. Nothing.

You have lost any credibility you have ever had with me after this statement.

Explain to me why they have "saved" Phoenix (a team that was about to disappear completely into bankruptcy before the league had to take ownership) and not Atlanta?

If Bettman truly did everything he could to keep a team in a city, the Thrashers would be playing this week in Atlanta, and would be 0-2 just like the Jets. He never addressed the fans here in Atlanta. He never made an appearance. Nothing.

I lose my credibility because I'm stating fact?

Well that's a first.

I can't explain what his infatuation was with Phoenix, but he certainly went above and beyond to support them AND Nashville. Bettman was still opposed to moving Atlanta, he just didn't take the same evasive action that he took on the previous two teams. I don't know the fine details, and most people don't. I can't go out and make an irrational statement. All I know is that Bettman often supported the Thrashers and other small hockey market teams like Florida. It's a direct reason why both cities had all-star games in the past decade, and it's why places like Florida continue to be of speculation for another (although the NHL is currently going through a little 'classic' era with the whole outdoor games and all that jazz).

Bettman does everything he can to keep teams where they are. I think it's a bit unfair that you're getting on his case and claiming that he and the NHL are benefiting from relocation fees.

I lose my credibility because I'm stating fact?

Well that's a first.

I can't explain what his infatuation was with Phoenix, but he certainly went above and beyond to support them AND Nashville. Bettman was still opposed to moving Atlanta, he just didn't take the same evasive action that he took on the previous two teams. I don't know the fine details, and most people don't. I can't go out and make an irrational statement. All I know is that Bettman often supported the Thrashers and other small hockey market teams like Florida. It's a direct reason why both cities had all-star games in the past decade, and it's why places like Florida continue to be of speculation for another (although the NHL is currently going through a little 'classic' era with the whole outdoor games and all that jazz).

Your first statement is not "fact" - again, if Bettman in "fact" did everything he could to keep the team in Atlanta (say, like, buy the team like they did with Phoenix) - the team would still be in Atlanta. He did not do everything. That is why it is not "fact". And the league did benefit from the move. The NHL received 60 million for a relocation fee. THAT is a fact.

Quite honestly Bettman is an arrogant, Napoleonic anti-Canadian asshole who must have incriminating pictures of most of the owners in the league to still have his job after what he's done to the game during his tenure! Not just to Canadian fans/teams either... Estatic as I am to see Winnipeg back I'm sorry it came at the expense of Atlanta fans, who've now had the heartbreak of losing a team twice (Flames were originally in Atlanta).

Anyone want to form a raiding party on Bettman's house, burn the blackmail material, tell the owners they're now free and lead a parade after the gnome-high little shit is gone?

(I may not like Gary Bettman... :shifty:)

I'm sorry you're right. Gary Bettman didn't get down on his knees and kiss the ass of three failing franchises off-season after off-season for three years in a row.

You know... things happen for a reason. Phoenix got lucky. They failed first. You've got so many other reasons to be mad than Gary Bettman. What do you expect from him? It's my understanding that he only has so much power under his belt. Atlanta was doomed.

An angry, biased blog. That's facts for ya.

You know... I can talk blind and out of my ass as well if I want to...

"But why couldn’t he have waited a year to see if another owner for the team emerged? Winnipeg wasn’t going anywhere. Was Bettman that desperate for the $60 million?"

Bettman doesn't own the Atlanta Thrashers and has minimal power over what goes on. He can only block an acquisition so much... these teams are privately owned.

Plus if the NHL is bailing out a team like Phoenix, do you expect them to follow suit with your team? That's ridiculous. If you have $100 and it takes you $75 to save a team but you only make $20 a year, do you expect to save both teams if they're falling like dominoes? That article is so biased and so ridiculous. It's clearly from someone who is upset. I would be upset if I lost my hockey team, too. But you're just looking for someone to blame. The ownership was to blame in Atlanta, not Gary Bettman.

ownership was to blame in Atlanta, not Gary Bettman.

If you read my original post, and did not focus on the Bettman piece, you would have read this.

Now, with that being said....if Bettman should have realized this and not let the Atlanta market fade away.

Further background for you: I have worked here in Atlanta for two years, and have officially lived here for one. I grew up a Ranger fan living five miles from Brendan Byrne/Continental Airlines/Izod (original home of the Devils). I moved to Minnesota for college in 1991 and got to watch the the final North Stars game in 1993. I got a part time job in the ticket office at Excel Energy Center in 2000 so I could watch Wild games. I left Minnesota in 2003,and have not lived in a NHL city until moving here a year ago. My disappointment with this situation stems not from the Thrashers being "my team" - but how it was handled.

I went to two Thrashers games the first year I was working down here, and went to six games last year (mind you, four of last year's games I had comp tickets from the visiting teams - I love my job).

Quite honestly Bettman is an arrogant, Napoleonic anti-Canadian asshole who must have incriminating pictures of most of the owners in the league to still have his job after what he's done to the game during his tenure! Not just to Canadian fans/teams either... Estatic as I am to see Winnipeg back I'm sorry it came at the expense of Atlanta fans, who've now had the heartbreak of losing a team twice (Flames were originally in Atlanta).

Anyone want to form a raiding party on Bettman's house, burn the blackmail material, tell the owners they're now free and lead a parade after the gnome-high little shit is gone?

(I may not like Gary Bettman... :shifty:)

:wave:

Another season, another Rick DiPietro injury. Good fuckin' lord. With another concussion, looks like DP will be out a while. Good thing the Isles actually have some depth at goalie.

Would have like to have seen more goals at the Wild game last night, but it may have been the first time I've EVER seen them put more shots than the other team.

Setoguchi did have the beautiful game winner in the shootout. :drool:

Another season, another Rick DiPietro injury. Good fuckin' lord. With another concussion, looks like DP will be out a while. Good thing the Isles actually have some depth at goalie.

I started questioning about 3 years ago whether or not that fat contract is what makes him get 'injured' so easily... or if it's just a coincidence.

But something tells me the dude is actually made of paper.

Then don't watch again for the rest of the season! :wink:

It's annoying that they haven't been winning more, but it's not all that surprising. They usually don't hit their stride until December. If things haven't improved by then, then I'll start to get concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom