National Hockey League 2011-2012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, they did go to OT and Brett Connolly scored the winner about halfway through the extra period.

But what happened was in the first period Tampa Bay began playing the trap, the 1-3-1 defense, EXCEPT they weren't forechecking. They essentially stood still, which prompted the Flyers defenseman to hold the puck and stay still. They essentially stood there and stared at each other for 30 seconds until the referee blew the whistle and called for a faceoff in the Flyers zone.

This happened for much of the first period. Exciting stuff. I don't really blame Tampa. They were playing a defensive scheme that they thought gave them the best chance to win.

But at the same time that was not very exciting to watch. So, for that reason, some are saying that the NHL might step in to outlaw this sort of defense in a similar way that the NBA doesn't allow certain types of defenses.

NOOOOO!!!! Damn you ESPN mobile for not claiming F/OT.

But really, I think it'd be silly to outrule a defensive system. I don't like the idea, even though I do recognize the trap as some really boring hockey (2000 Devils).

NjpmC.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

A day without seeing Admiral Ackbar is just a wasted day. :up:

Drea who's gonna win tonight, your boys or my boys???

I was actually worried given how my boys have been playing that yours would walk all over them :lol: Despite blowing the lead in the third my boys won in the SO (which I still hate) and Scrivens had his first big pressure situation and seemed to deal with it okay. I'd rather have Reimer in net over Monster or Big Ben, but that's not an option right now.

I was actually worried given how my boys have been playing that yours would walk all over them :lol: Despite blowing the lead in the third my boys won in the SO (which I still hate) and Scrivens had his first big pressure situation and seemed to deal with it okay. I'd rather have Reimer in net over Monster or Big Ben, but that's not an option right now.

Got home from the game a little while ago. Great game for
both teams. I agree with you about shoot outs, I hate them also.
Not one of our shooters went high, top of the net was open on all 3 shots.
Your goalie looked pretty good in the last 10 minutes of he 3rd period.
He saved his teams bacon on so many shots.

Had to add this, the guy behind me asked his wife what the "SOG"
on the scoreboard meant. I not kidding, I nearly wet myself
laughing.

Last edited:
Good game minus the left-and-right penalty calls...

Gotta hand it to Dineen though. 7.4 seconds... and the Panthers actually generated a shot that stood a chance. Dude can diagram a late game play for sure.

Shit, it's only the second week of November and an Islander head coach is already calling out his team for sucking. Hopefully, it works. Can't have a repeat of last year's ten game losing streak.

When a goalie is out of the crease and handling the puck,he's another player that expose himself.

...at least for me.

Having seen the replay, yes Miller took his chances leaving the net - HOWEVER, Lucic pretty much ran him over *and* knocked his mask off. Had this been in the pre-instigator penalty days, I'm sure Lucic would've been jumped on by a couple Sabres immediately... He's going to be a marked man in Buffalo for at least a couple years now.

As Dave Hodge tweeted (paraphrase), the NHL has a choice: either change the rule and keep the goalies in their crease, or take the credit for the big brawl that's bound to happen.

(For those who haven't been following in the thread, Kristen and I have had a bet re: Sens/Leafs games going since last year... So far this year she's had a Leafs avi twice, and this is my second time wearing the godawful Sens logo :lol:)

The Minnesota Wild :heart:

Even if my heart is broken in the second half of the season, this has been fun so far.

You have no idea... this is the first time the Florida Panthers have been in 1st place in a decade. Just BEEN in first place! That's how bad we've been!

We need it more than ever now. This feeling of a successful team is amazing in hockey. Here's to hoping it holds up.

Panthers give up 3 goals in the 1st, come back with 2 in the second, and 2 in the third (tying with a shortie, taking the lead with 2 minutes left).

Now with the 2nd most points in the NHL and a thin grasp on the Southeast lead (which on a side note... the parity in the NHL right now is crazy!).

It's... beautiful. In the past 10 years we haven't led the Southeast division even for a game. In fact, past the first 10 games our peak was FIFTH place! And that was in ONE season over the past 10 years! Even if it's all a mirage... this is so exciting!

Oh... I had the beautiful opportunity yesterday of getting to hear somebody (a Bruins fan) talk shit about the Panthers.

For the first time in 10 years I was allowed to say "Hey dude... look at the standings."

Even though I know fine well what's really going on... it felt good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom