National Hockey League 2011-2012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tonight's game was *ugly*, which is what I was afraid of - especially given Boston has already handed us our asses once this season... They've scored 12 goals against us in 2 games :( Which means we're really going to be pissed off for the Panthers on Tuesday, fair warning :wink:

Will the Blue Jackets please trade Rick Nash for a goalie and a pick or two in the draft!

Booth got his first goal tonight as a Canuck. Sounds like it was a good one - I had to listen to the first 2 periods on the radio, but I'm sure video of it will pop up soon.

Glad to hear it.

Oddly enough Sturm has been good and Samuelsson has been nowhere. Thought it'd be the other way round, honestly.

Panthers lose in the SO AGAIN. After coming out with 3 goals in the 1st period they played like utter shit for the rest of the way out :( I'd imagine coach Dineen is incredibly pissed. They've lost 3 in the shootout where they had the lead until the final 10 minutes of the 3rd and blown it.

Glad to hear it.

Oddly enough Sturm has been good and Samuelsson has been nowhere. Thought it'd be the other way round, honestly.

Panthers lose in the SO AGAIN. After coming out with 3 goals in the 1st period they played like utter shit for the rest of the way out :( I'd imagine coach Dineen is incredibly pissed. They've lost 3 in the shootout where they had the lead until the final 10 minutes of the 3rd and blown it.

Same here - Samuelsson was a fabulous player while he was on the Canucks. Didn't ever know much about Sturm to say either way.

Here's the goal:

David Booth's First Goal as a Canuck - Canucks at Hawks - 11.06.11 - HD - YouTube

Canucks are up 6-2 now. :D

That goal is actually very uncharacteristic of Booth. Normally he's an incredibly North-to-South player, with little shooting ability but a very hard shot. And he's got some wheels... he burns players around the edge and takes a flipping hard shot and if he's on his game he'll beat the goalie.

Seriously though, he'll take a slapshot from like 15 feet off the net. It will blow your mind.

Sounds a lot like Sami Salo. :) Hope to see some of that kind of action from him in the future.

In a funny note, Luongo got tripped up by one of the people shoveling ice during one of the TV timeouts. :lol: Oh man, that was gold!

Blues just fired their coach, Davis Payne, and hired Ken Hitchcock to replace him. FTW!!

Blues just fired their coach, Davis Payne, and hired Ken Hitchcock to replace him. FTW!!

I was wondering how long it'd take for you to find out :wink:

DownGoesBrown had the best comment about it on Twitter: Blue Jackets owner John McConnell: "Hey Ken, did you hear that St. Louis just fired Davis Payne? I wonder who they'll... Ken? Ken?" :lol:

I took me awhile to wade through all the posts on one of the Blues boards I visit, only 11 pages worth. Don't know about bringing in Hitchcock. Seems like a younger version of Andy Murray. But if he puts his foot up the ass of some of the players who are underachieving, I'm all for him.

I always liked Hitch. He got all fouled up with the Clarke situation a few years back that was hardly his fault. Never felt like he or Barber got enough of a chance, unlike John Stevens, who overstayed his welcome.

That said, I'm happy with Lavy now.

Edmonton

Out of nowhere, I just wanted to say how THRILLED I am at the re-emergence of Edmonton this year (I'm a lifelong fan).

Sure, they're probably playing over their heads a bit so far, but it's been a hell of a joyride.

The key to success is that they have to start scoring more goals, because Khabibulin currently has a 0.98 goals-against average, and surely that is not gonna last forever. But now they've got Ales Hemsky back -- one of the more unappreciated, high-talent players in the league.

Go Oil!!!

All I make of it is that it didn't go to OT and the lesser team won.

But what really happened?

Well, they did go to OT and Brett Connolly scored the winner about halfway through the extra period.

But what happened was in the first period Tampa Bay began playing the trap, the 1-3-1 defense, EXCEPT they weren't forechecking. They essentially stood still, which prompted the Flyers defenseman to hold the puck and stay still. They essentially stood there and stared at each other for 30 seconds until the referee blew the whistle and called for a faceoff in the Flyers zone.

This happened for much of the first period. Exciting stuff. I don't really blame Tampa. They were playing a defensive scheme that they thought gave them the best chance to win.

But at the same time that was not very exciting to watch. So, for that reason, some are saying that the NHL might step in to outlaw this sort of defense in a similar way that the NBA doesn't allow certain types of defenses.

I think the Philly-Tampa thing is sort of much-ado-about-nothing. The NHL already has rules that teams have to keep the play in motion, so they cannot just sit back and hold onto the puck all night. Philly tried this and the ref called them on it, so...

Out of nowhere, I just wanted to say how THRILLED I am at the re-emergence of Edmonton this year (I'm a lifelong fan).

Sure, they're probably playing over their heads a bit so far, but it's been a hell of a joyride.

The key to success is that they have to start scoring more goals, because Khabibulin currently has a 0.98 goals-against average, and surely that is not gonna last forever. But now they've got Ales Hemsky back -- one of the more unappreciated, high-talent players in the league.

Go Oil!!!

Boooooo!

:wink: (Wild Fan)

Seriously though, I mentioned Khabibulin earlier in this thread. He is an animal this year. :up:

If you ever wanted more proof that Philadelphia is full of terrible people:

Flyers Counter Lightning's Trap - YouTube

NjpmC.jpg

Way to break hockey, Laviolette. Way to break hockey.

But at the same time that was not very exciting to watch. So, for that reason, some are saying that the NHL might step in to outlaw this sort of defense in a similar way that the NBA doesn't allow certain types of defenses.
That would be total bullshit if zone defense was outlawed. Punishing good strategy doesn't make sense, the Flyers should have been called for delay of game several times.

If they really want to force the issues to continue being assholes, I would rather see a "shot clock" kind of rule where the defensive team has a time limit to exit their zone when they have possession.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom