National Do Not Call Registry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joyfulgirl

Blue Crack Addict
Here is an opportunity to reclaim your home privacy from telemarketers. It just started up recently. You can enter your telephone number (even mobile number) and after a short time your number will appear on a do not call list meant for telemarketers.

http://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx

none of it starts till october 1st i believe. good idea though.

it is going to kill a large portion of an industry, albeit an annoying one.

"The Industry" has filed suit to stop the program. Something like 28 Million people have already signed up for the list. The Industry says that it will acount for two million people losing their jobs.

perhaps "the industry" should have policed itself and avoided government intervention. :tsk:

sulawesigirl4 said:
perhaps "the industry" should have policed itself and avoided government intervention. :tsk:

I will not defend the industry...but, I would like to know what you mean by "Policed itself"?

I realize this is not FYM....but, I like a good debate, especially with my smart friends! ;)

Last edited:
zonelistener said:
"The Industry" has filed suit to stop the program. Something like 28 Million people have already signed up for the list. The Industry says that it will acount for two million people losing their jobs.

if i was still working for the daily tribune, i would be losing my job because of this.

there are some telemarketers that are just plain annoying, and then there are some that are not. im one of those who are not. maybe thats why i lost my job last year. their goal was to sell papers any way they can. i can't force someone to buy something they dont need or worse, can't afford. some of the things used to suggestive sell was just appalling imo.

i dont mind decent telemarketers. i've always had a soft spot for them since i know what its like to be hung up on, cursed at, told to go th hell, etc...

icelle said:

if i was still working for the daily tribune, i would be losing my job because of this.

there are some telemarketers that are just plain annoying, and then there are some that are not. im one of those who are not. maybe thats why i lost my job last year. their goal was to sell papers any way they can. i can't force someone to buy something they dont need or worse, can't afford. some of the things used to suggestive sell was just appalling imo.

i dont mind decent telemarketers. i've always had a soft spot for them since i know what its like to be hung up on, cursed at, told to go th hell, etc...

In my last marketing job, one of the tactics we used was telemarketing. I would have to write scripts for telemarketers, and would monitor the number of sales they would have. It was one of, if not the most succesful sales tools we had for the product I marketed.

Despite this, I am not fond of telemarketers, and have had an unlisted number for some time.

zonelistener said:

I will not defend the industry...but, I would like to know what you mean by "Policed itself"?

I realize this is not FYM....but, I like a good debate, especially with my smart friends! ;)

I think the statement is pretty clear. Sorry, but it's not a topic that I'm really interested in debating. ;)

sulawesigirl4 said:

I think the statement is pretty clear. Sorry, but it's not a topic that I'm really interested in debating. ;)

Well, you make a bold statement like they have commited federal offenses by calling people to sell items. Telemarketing has never been a crime, I believe, that should be "policed."

i'm gonna give a HUGE :up: to sula's concept that telemarketers should've policed themselves.

and i'm also gonna say that i totally agree with icelle - that there are telemarketers who are very respectful of the people they're calling. and i think a lot of times that goes back to the business that hired the telemarketers. i've been a telemarketer, and i too have been told to go to hell etc etc - but honestly what's the point of that? but my bosses were really considerate and didn't give me a quota or anything - and stressed that i be polite and respectful of peoples' wishes.

my family joined the minnesota do no call list a few months ago and now the phone really doesn't ring as much as it did before [insert comment about me having no friends that call me or something like that here ;)].

i think if the telemarketing industry had set limits and laws in the first place - we'd be in a different situation.

unfortunately, a LOT people are facing losing their jobs right now, and that is never friendly - especially in this economy where it's going to be VERY hard to find a different job.

I am not trying to be an instigator here, but I am still having trouble understanding the "Policing" part.

Are there examples of what the industry could have policed?

I truly feel like I am probably missing something obvious - and I hope I am.

Can anyone help here?

companies shouldn't have set high quotas, should not have pushed their associates to push their telemarketing so hard, and should not have paid their associates only on how many sales they make.

police themselves.

The only drawback are the loopholes in the Registry Program. Certain classes of telemarketers can continue to call, even if your number is on the list.

Lilly said:
companies shouldn't have set high quotas, should not have pushed their associates to push their telemarketing so hard, and should not have paid their associates only on how many sales they make.

the industry got too large doing the things youve listed. this regulation allows society at large to correct the industry. it seems perfetly efficient to me.

I did put my number on this list, but after reading who can still make the calls, I don't think I will notice a big difference.

I get a lot of calls from credit card companies that I have cards with and my long distance company calls to tell me about new products.

I don't really see the need for telemarketers in this day and age. If you are interested in a product you can just get on-line to see what's out there and go from there. I like to find out things for myself, I don't want them to call me at home and tell me about it.

EPandAmerica said:
I don't really see the need for telemarketers in this day and age. If you are interested in a product you can just get on-line to see what's out there and go from there. I like to find out things for myself, I don't want them to call me at home and tell me about it.

its push and pull marketing. as mr. brau1 said, it works. telemarketing is a push in the sense that you are pushed to buy. and it works. the next question is whether or not they are using unseemly methods of doing the pushing.

for companies to wait for people to investigate product options through what ever avenue is too passive for them.

People don't buy stuff they want, they buy stuff the advertisers TELL them to buy. It's everywhere, from your phone to the "Gap" tag on the inside of your skippies. It's all advertising. And it works. I really want a Coca Cola.

You know now that I really think about it, I think I am mostly annoyed at the /personal/ contact. I :love: to get junk mail and look through catalog after catalog and then go shopping on line; but if that same company were to /call/ me at home I would be so put off that I wouldn't buy, even if I really wanted it.

:huh: :huh: :huh:

Show it to me in print or on t.v. then I am a sucker, just don't call me at home. :help:

Coke is actually developing a plan where they surgically implant computer chips into people heads. These chips can be activated by radio-waves, and cause the person desire CocaCola. Coke also stands to make millions by licensing out the chips to make people want Sprite, or a Jaguar or HotPockets, or April Levine album. It's totally true. Coke is giving a free tote bag and umbrella to people who volunteer for the procedure. 34,123 people are lined up so far, myself included. I really want that tote bag.

Lilly said:

police themselves.

Maybe we should just blame it on shareholders and the drive to make bigger profits.

Companies set high quotas/sales goals (whether it is telemarketers, direct sales, etc. etc.) to create revenue goals. Positive revenue creates profit - which increases share prices. Increased share pirces put smiles on share holders. :D

What company (in our society) WOULDN'T want to do that?

kobayashi said:

its push and pull marketing. as mr. brau1 said, it works. telemarketing is a push in the sense that you are pushed to buy. and it works. the next question is whether or not they are using unseemly methods of doing the pushing.

for companies to wait for people to investigate product options through what ever avenue is too passive for them.

:up:

Yes, unseemly methods! Now THAT is what I am looking for. Thank you Kobe. Deceptive practices should not be "policed" by an Industry group, necesarilly, but by the feds/BBBs or whatever may be the case.

zonelistener said:

Screw the tote bags, I want to know who April Levine is? Sounds like a girl from my elementary school in Long Island. I think I got an invite to her bat mitzvah.

She's that Jewish girl from Canada who sing punk rock about complicated skater guys. I think?

MrBrau1 said:

She's that Jewish girl from Canada who sing punk rock about complicated skater guys. I think?

226a200051ff6cd1acc56a4e1e3c32_sm.jpg

Ooohhhhhh, Avril Lavigne. I got you now!

kobayashi said:

the industry got too large doing the things youve listed. this regulation allows society at large to correct the industry. it seems perfetly efficient to me.

i was explaining the term "policing" to zonelistener.

i like the do not call list.

and the telemarketers that do get through, a simple "please take me off your list" is a good way not to get their calls again.

Telemarketers are not welcome on my phone and Avril Lavigne is not welcome in my thread. Not today, not tomorrow. :angry:

Back
Top Bottom