Nar Nar Goon, Victoria, Australia Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cobbler, or any one else, are you familiar with a band called Miami Horror? I'm not familiar, but they have a lot of listens on last.fm and are Aussie. They got recommended to me on last.fm, and so far I'm loving their 2010 release.

Heh, Alpine worked with somebody from Miami Horror for one of their music videos. They've told us to check them out ... but I haven't yet. :lazy:

Right OK I said I'd post the 2011 musics I've listened to, and I'm going to now, since I'm getting tipsy because nowhere's open due to the crucifixion of some guy ages ago.

RATINGS PER RYM. OUT OF 5 STARS. Many are singles/EPs because format distinctions in our digital age ARE FOR ANALLY RETENTIVE PEOPLE.

Absence Of The Sun - The Aurora (2.5): What even is this, they can't figure out what to release, whether it's new material or old released material or old unused demos FUCKING MELODEATH BANDS I mean if they had their shit together they might not be copping some metalcore labels!
All-Devouring Light - Descent Into Hadal (3.5): Symphonic black metal with a title that I keep reading as "Descent Into Halal", like a bad Yank sitcom about a guy trying to be a Muslim for a month WITH HILAAAARIOUS RESULTS.
Asobi Seksu - Flourescence (3.5): It was good but I need to listen again so that I can make a non-shit comment.
Beach Fossils - What A Pleasure (3): If Beach House didn't suck they'd have released this!
Rebecca Black - Friday (0.5): GONNA GET CRUNK ON GOOD FRIDAY. Abuse in the front seat, sarcasm in the back seat, which insulting should I taaaaake?
Blackfield - Welcome To My DNA (2.5): HI I'M AVIV GEFFEN I'M 15 AND EMO AND I GOT SW DRUNK SO THAT HE'D AGREE TO RELEASE MY SHITTY POETTYR GO TO HELL GO TO HELL I DON'T CARE ANYMOOOoooOOOoooOORREE.
Crowded House - North America Travelogue 2010 (4): Hi we're the Crowdies and we play all kinds of cool stuff live because we're not U2. Roll back the tombstone!
Deafheaven - Roads To Judah (4): Because blackgaze is the best thing to happen to metal since Jon Haughm first spewed his lungs all over a microphone.
dredg - Chuckles And Mr Squeezy (2.5): THEY ARE SO TROLLING.
Dum Dum Girls - He Gets Me High (3): But there's a Smiths cover ewww.
Echo Lake - Young Silence (3): Would be much better shoegaze IF THERE WERE HOOKS.
Explosions In The Sky - Take Care, Take Care, Take Care (4): I bet Munaf Rayani thinks to himself all the time "goddamn we are SO consistent".
Foster The People - Foster The People (2.5): Indie electronic influenced by SHITTY EARLY NINETIES RADIO I mean I swear to god I've actually HEARD some of this before.
Hammock - Longest Year (3.5): Not bad for your ambient needs!
Alana Lee - Butterflies (1): Or, "Heeeyyyy dis is Ark Muzic Faktory and we desided 2 rite a better song than Fryday BUT FOR THE PETER FILE MARKET!"
Long Distance Calling - Long Distance Calling (4): Goddamn post-rock is going well so far in 2011. WHAT WHO SAID THIS GENRE IS DEAD YOU'RE FUCKING DICKHEADS WHO PROBABLY JUST FAP TO MERRIWEATHER POST PAVILLION AND HAVWN'T ACTUALLY HEARD POST-ROCK BY A BAND NOT CALLED EITS OR MOGWAI OR GODDSPEED YOU! BLACK EMPEROR WITH YOUR GRATUITOUS EXPCLAMATION MARK!~

Moooaaar later.

Miami Horror's album was excellent. Very dance/pop heavy and very fun. If I'd heard it last year, it would have very likely ended up in my top ten.

What style is it? I mean, before Alpine talked about them and I gathered that they arent' what I thought they are, I actually kind of thougth they were some sort of like horrocore thing! Horrorcore. Not because of their name either. or maybe just pop-punk.

I anticipated them sounding like the horrors based on name lol. But last.fm shows you related artists, so I knew it wouldn't be that.

They're definitely a synth pop band. Not as electro as cut copy, but there are sythesizers and dancey music all up in this bitch.

Ashley I'm trying to PM you but you've apparently exceeded youtr storage quotta!

MORE MUSIC REVIEWS BECAUSE I CAN.

Minks - By The Hedge (3): You know this is fine when you listen to ti but as soon as it's done YOU'FVE FORGOTTEN EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING.
Mogwai - Hardcore Will Never Die, But You WilL (3.5): TRUE.
ThE new Division - The Rookie (3.5): Unexpectedly good indie synth pop, some great choruses/atmosphere and maybe I'll whack this up to 4 if it grows enough! man that first song is GREAT.
Opeth - The Throat Of WQintr (3): Opeth don't think much of record store day if this is the single they'll dish out for it! I mean it's fine but it won't blow your mind or consume your SOOOUUUULLLL RRAAAGGGHHHHH.
Our Ceasing Voice - When The Headline Hit Home (4): Well OF COURSE I love post-rock with a helping of shoegaze duh!
The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart - Belong, the single (4.5): Goddamn what a good song FUCK OFF SMASHING PUMPMKINS COMPARISONS. BILLY CORGAN NEVER SANG THIS GOOD HE JUST NASALLED IT UP.
The Pains Of Being Purw At Heart - Belong, the album (4): Yeah it's got good tracks and it's pretty consistent but I think it may be just a hair below the debut. I don't know. Where's the Aussie tyour lasds and why isn't Doing All The thangs That wOuldn't Make Your Parents Proud in the set any more?!
Robin Pecknold - Three Songs (3.5): Who knew I appreciate sparse indie folk this much. I mean sparse. SPARSE. SPAAAARSE.
Pinback - Information Retrieved Part A (3.5): Well it's not quite vintage Pinback but YAY MOAR PINBACK WHY DON'T THEY EVER TOUR DOWN HERE?!? :( :( :( And "Thee Srum Proggitt"? God i love their weird song titles. God I love Pinback. Srertiously like my band of the moment. QWHY DON'T YOU LISTEN TO PINBACK.
Radiohead - The King Of Limbs (2.5): No of course i don't bloody get the Radiohead thang that most of everybody else has. I don't really get the rage of the detractors either, though I end up lumped with them just because excessive fapping by Radiohead fanboys puts me off what I'd otherwise dismiss as a forgettable mediocre band for forgettable mediocre people! But RH fanboys as mediocre as they may be are not forgettable for better or worse worse WORSE.
REM - Collapse Into Now (3.5): SHOULD'VE JUST RELEASED THE FIRST THREE TRACKS. You senile fools you don't know when to sotop and you keep singing about oh my heart WHEN YOU SHOULDN'T YOU SHOULD JUST KEEP CRANKIN;' THAT DISCOVERERERER.
The Republic Of Wolves - The Cartographer (3): Generic post-hardcore influenced indie rock for all your generic post-hardcore influenced indie rock needs when you're too much of a pussy to listen to Hüsker DÜ or Big BLack or something!
Sleeping Peonies - Ghosts, And Other Things (4): Did you ever wonder what Slowdive would sound like IF A NORWEGIAN FALLING DOWN STAIRS WAS THE VOCALIST! Well here's your answer now go hang at a northern lighthouse at midnight!
Social Distortion - Daytrotter Session (2.5): Listened to as part of an RYM project that requires me to listen to THESE GODDAMN STERIULE DAYTROTTER SESSIONS. I mean they're OK but the concept promises so much more than it delivers damn!
Sparkadia - The Great Impression (3): Did you have to write the same goddamn song twelve or so times! I mean it's not a bad song but I got bored before the end.
Toro Y Moi - New Beat (3.5: Or, "lol fuck chillwave ethereality I LYK THE JAMIROQUAI".
Toro Y Moi - Underneath The Pine (3): "lol yay JAY KAY" but we're all lucky (real name alert) CHAZWICK BUNDICK is better than thjat Jamming Quai.
▼▲▼vagina Vangi - Benighted United (3.5): The sound of a Russian city within the Arctic Circle AND YOU THOUGHT IT WAS JUST BORING FUR HATS UP THERE.
The Veils - Troubles Of The Brain (2.5): Don't fucking start with a good song if all the rest you make is mediocre, it gets my hopes up for no good reason!
Verme - Bad Verme (2.5): lol Italian emo indie rock.
whirr - Black Island (3): Fair amount of variety but not fair amount of awesome damn.
Young Prisms - Friends For Now (3): Kind of forgotten this now but think it was alright indie rock informed by shoegaze.

OK THERE YOU GO THERE'S AX'S 2011 FOR NOOOWWWW. Though I still need to listen to Braids again to rate it (I think it was an alright thang akin to Blue Hawaii?) and Sepalcure's EP (not exactly the mindfuck I expected from my first encounter with something called FUTURE GARAGE - I mean, future garage, what the hell does this sound like, some guys working on a fucking DeLorean? NO IT DOES NOT ALAS).

END.

Right OK I said I'd post the 2011 musics I've listened to, and I'm going to now, since I'm getting tipsy because nowhere's open due to the crucifixion of some guy ages ago.

RATINGS PER RYM. OUT OF 5 STARS. Many are singles/EPs because format distinctions in our digital age ARE FOR ANALLY RETENTIVE PEOPLE.

Absence Of The Sun - The Aurora (2.5): What even is this, they can't figure out what to release, whether it's new material or old released material or old unused demos FUCKING MELODEATH BANDS I mean if they had their shit together they might not be copping some metalcore labels!
All-Devouring Light - Descent Into Hadal (3.5): Symphonic black metal with a title that I keep reading as "Descent Into Halal", like a bad Yank sitcom about a guy trying to be a Muslim for a month WITH HILAAAARIOUS RESULTS.
Asobi Seksu - Flourescence (3.5): It was good but I need to listen again so that I can make a non-shit comment.
Beach Fossils - What A Pleasure (3): If Beach House didn't suck they'd have released this!
Rebecca Black - Friday (0.5): GONNA GET CRUNK ON GOOD FRIDAY. Abuse in the front seat, sarcasm in the back seat, which insulting should I taaaaake?
Blackfield - Welcome To My DNA (2.5): HI I'M AVIV GEFFEN I'M 15 AND EMO AND I GOT SW DRUNK SO THAT HE'D AGREE TO RELEASE MY SHITTY POETTYR GO TO HELL GO TO HELL I DON'T CARE ANYMOOOoooOOOoooOORREE.
Crowded House - North America Travelogue 2010 (4): Hi we're the Crowdies and we play all kinds of cool stuff live because we're not U2. Roll back the tombstone!
Deafheaven - Roads To Judah (4): Because blackgaze is the best thing to happen to metal since Jon Haughm first spewed his lungs all over a microphone.
dredg - Chuckles And Mr Squeezy (2.5): THEY ARE SO TROLLING.
Dum Dum Girls - He Gets Me High (3): But there's a Smiths cover ewww.
Echo Lake - Young Silence (3): Would be much better shoegaze IF THERE WERE HOOKS.
Explosions In The Sky - Take Care, Take Care, Take Care (4): I bet Munaf Rayani thinks to himself all the time "goddamn we are SO consistent".
Foster The People - Foster The People (2.5): Indie electronic influenced by SHITTY EARLY NINETIES RADIO I mean I swear to god I've actually HEARD some of this before.
Hammock - Longest Year (3.5): Not bad for your ambient needs!
Alana Lee - Butterflies (1): Or, "Heeeyyyy dis is Ark Muzic Faktory and we desided 2 rite a better song than Fryday BUT FOR THE PETER FILE MARKET!"
Long Distance Calling - Long Distance Calling (4): Goddamn post-rock is going well so far in 2011. WHAT WHO SAID THIS GENRE IS DEAD YOU'RE FUCKING DICKHEADS WHO PROBABLY JUST FAP TO MERRIWEATHER POST PAVILLION AND HAVWN'T ACTUALLY HEARD POST-ROCK BY A BAND NOT CALLED EITS OR MOGWAI OR GODDSPEED YOU! BLACK EMPEROR WITH YOUR GRATUITOUS EXPCLAMATION MARK!~

Moooaaar later.

What style is it? I mean, before Alpine talked about them and I gathered that they arent' what I thought they are, I actually kind of thougth they were some sort of like horrocore thing! Horrorcore. Not because of their name either. or maybe just pop-punk.

Well that'd explain the Alpine connetction!

Ashley I'm trying to PM you but you've apparently exceeded youtr storage quotta!

And this is how you find out if Axver is drunk. :wink:

EDIT: Missed the part where you said you were tipsy.

MORE MUSIC REVIEWS BECAUSE I CAN.

Radiohead - The King Of Limbs (2.5): No of course i don't bloody get the Radiohead thang that most of everybody else has. I don't really get the rage of the detractors either, though I end up lumped with them just because excessive fapping by Radiohead fanboys puts me off what I'd otherwise dismiss as a forgettable mediocre band for forgettable mediocre people! But RH fanboys as mediocre as they may be are not forgettable for better or worse worse WORSE.
REM - Collapse Into Now (3.5): SHOULD'VE JUST RELEASED THE FIRST THREE TRACKS. You senile fools you don't know when to sotop and you keep singing about oh my heart WHEN YOU SHOULDN'T YOU SHOULD JUST KEEP CRANKIN;' THAT DISCOVERERERER.

OK THERE YOU GO THERE'S AX'S 2011 FOR NOOOWWWW. Though I still need to listen to Braids again to rate it (I think it was an alright thang akin to Blue Hawaii?) and Sepalcure's EP (not exactly the mindfuck I expected from my first encounter with something called FUTURE GARAGE - I mean, future garage, what the hell does this sound like, some guys working on a fucking DeLorean? NO IT DOES NOT ALAS).

END.

This is absolutely brilliant. Start a music review blog where you only review albums when drunk.

Ax it is good to see you are drunk, have you heard Casa del Mirto's 1979? Italian chillwave, not bad.

Ooh, no, shall investigate.

This is absolutely brilliant. Start a music review blog where you only review albums when drunk.

Looking back now in the light of sobriety ... this shall become an RYM list, yes indeed.

Off to Bendigo for the day! :wave:

Bah, sucks that the footy today isn't on free-to-air.

Can't wait for Essendon vs Collingwood tomorrow though.

Time to buy lots of cheap chocolate on special tomorrow?

I could ... but who needs that when you have a large Lindt golden bunny as well as a collection of chocolate eggs? :wink:

Because having more (and bought at half price or an even greater discount) is even better?

We've basically bought no Easter choccies. My tradition is to just wait for Easter Monday and get at least twice as much for the same price.

Suppose it could but I'm basically full in the stomach right now.

And speaking of chocolate, Axver, do you like Whittakers the NZ chocolate?

Back
Top Bottom