Nanaimo Bars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nanaimo means "7 potatoes" in Japanese. Well, kind of.

I just wanted to throw that in there because the name seemed weird to me. "7 potato" bar, mmmmmm! :wink: I will have to try to eat them if I'm ever in Canada again.

That's pretty strange. 7 Potato Bar. I smell a new product name.

All visitors to Canada should follow the following meal plan:

Appetiser: toutons
Main course: moose steak with a side order of poutine
Dessert: Nanaimo bars and Timbits

You couldn't go wrong with that.

GibsonGirl said:
Coconut haters, be at peace! You hardly even taste the coconut in Nanaimo bars. There's a tiny hint of it in the texture, but there's so much else going on in your mouth that you don't even notice it. It's not like it's a Bounty bar, or anything.

Oh dear...now I did it...

Bountyyyyy :drool:

SWEET NECTAR OF LIFE!

Bounty-chocolate.jpg

BOOOOOOOOOUUNTY :drool::drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

i've never heard of this nanaimo bar. :shifty:

:yikes:

I have a coconut phobia. Seriously. I cringed during Pirates of the Carribean 2, when he speared the coconut, and it was dripping, ugh :sad:
And texture? UGH! The texture is the worst part! :scream:

Agaaaaaain...you barely notice the coconut in Nanaimo bars. Barely.

And what is it with all this coconut hatred anyway? Come on, TRE, we'll go eat a whole box of Bounty bars together. :grumpy:

GibsonGirl said:
Agaaaaaain...you barely notice the coconut in Nanaimo bars. Barely.

Just the fact that it's there is a turn-off for me. :yuck:

If I were deserted on an island, I'd die. I don't like coconuts. I don't like most fish.

If there were a banana palm, I'd live. :drool:

the rockin edge said:

:drool:

milk or dark chocolate?

Milk! I don't think dark chocolate and coconut goes all that well together, but that could just be me.

I actually don't like coconuts much - hate coconut milk, but it really makes Nanaimo bars a lot better! Because it gives them a solid base - really great.

GibsonGirl, do you have M&M meatshops in Newfieland? I've never bought their Nanaimo bars but I hear they're rather delicious.

Yes, I believe there's an M&M shop in St. John's. Hmm...might have to make a trip down there soon to check out their Nanaimo bars! Dominion make a good batch, but things can be a little pricey at Dominion.

Unfortunately M&M isn't really cheap either. I think it might be about $10 for their box of Nanaimo bars. Usually that's what their desserts run.

GibsonGirl said:
Forget poutine. (Only for a short while, don't be crazy!) The Canadian delicacy that everyone should be talking about is the nanaimo bar. I had the pleasure of discovering its glory today. A crumbly chocolate and coconut base, topped with a layer of frosting-like custard and crowned with soft chocolate. A fine treat on a cold Canadian day! The nation's finest Mounties should salute those wonderful women from British Columbia who first brought the nanaimo bar into the world.

nanaimo.jpg

:giggle: :)

I'm still searching for a retailer who sells Tim-Tams in NYC! :lmao::lmao:
The first 2 leads :tsk: panned out, but i still have a third{place} i haven't dropped in on yet.

But by this stretch {how far away the Aussies are from us} - I'm guessing that nanaimo bars might be easier to find since we are direct neighbors to Oh!Canada here in NYState! :D.
Surely they've "migrated South" towards NYC by now! :D

Last edited:
GibsonGirl said:
Yes, I believe there's an M&M shop in St. John's. Hmm...might have to make a trip down there soon to check out their Nanaimo bars!

Swing by and get me! :wink:

I can confirm the M&M shop's existence here in St. John's. I don't go there often, but I'm now inspired to do some important nanaimo 'research'. Auntie Crae's bake shop on Water Street could be another point of interest on this most critical matter. :hmm:

This thread :drool:

Back
Top Bottom