name the worst song on your favourite album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They're pretty good live. Saw them in 95 at MSG (Mom won tix off the radio.) Walked in from work, was suddenly handed tix, and ran out for the train.

I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or not, but I got interested in REM right when Around The Sun came out. It must be, because I've never been even remotely interested in hearing that album.

They opened my show with Around The Sun, the song. It was surprisingly amazing. Much better than the album version, and such a perfect opener.

I saw them twice on the Monster tour in '95, which was the first time I'd seen them. I've been a fan since ... oh, 1988 or so.

Then for the Up tour in 1999, my friend, who was still in the fan club, got tickets through the fan club. 8th row center, face value.

We walked to our seats, our mouths dropping further and further open as we realized just how close we were. There was much shrieking and celebrating until the show started. Everyone around us had paid scalpers through the nose for their seats, and we did a little gloating over our $45 tickets. :wink:

Then I saw them when they were touring behind the "In Time" hits collection. They played "Begin the Begin," and I thought I would die of happiness.

Then I saw them on their last tour in a smaller setting, and they played "Life and How to Live It," and I died a little more. :drool:

I just looked up the setlist for the show I saw:

Around The Sun / Finest Worksong / Begin The Begin / So Fast, So Numb / Animal / Boy In The Well / Get Up / High Speed Train / Maps And Legends / The Outsiders / Electrolite / Bad Day / I Wanted To Be Wrong / The One I Love / Final Straw / Losing My Religion / Walk Unafraid / Life And How To Live It
encore: Happy Birthday / What's The Frequency, Kenneth? / Drive / Leavng New York / I've Been High / Permenant Vacation / I'm Gonna DJ / Man On The Moon

This brings back the most amazing memories. Oh god. Such a great show. Get Up was a highlight, as well as Walk Unafraid. Maps and Legends were nice surprises.

"I've Been High" was a bonus micheal gave us because it was the first time he'd played in A.C. and I don't think it was on the night's setlist. It was definitely my favorite part of the show though. It was so gorgeous. :love:

Lancemc said:
I just looked up the setlist for the show I saw:

Finest Worksong
Begin The Begin
Electrolite
What's The Frequency, Kenneth?
Drive

:drool: Very good stuff there.

Hearing about all these REM concert experiences just makes me more excited for...

Arcade Fire :drool:

Lancemc said:
you want to go out friday
and you want to go forever.
you know that it sounds childish
that you've dreamt of alligators.
you hope that we are with you
and you hope you're recognized
you want to go forever
you see it in my eyes.
I'm lost in the confusion
and it doesn't seem to matter
you really can't believe it
and you hope it's getting better

you want to trust the doctors
their procedure is the best
but the last try was a failure
and the intern was a mess.
and they did the same to Matthew
and he bled 'til sunday night
they're saying don't be frightened
but you're weakened by the sight of it
you lock into a pattern
and you know that it's the last ditch
you're trying to see through it
and it doesn't make sense
but they're saying don't be frightened
and they're killing alligators
and they're hog-tied
and accepting of the struggle

you want to trust religion
and you know it's allegory
but the people who are followers
have written their own story.
so you look up to the heavens
and you hope that it's a spaceship
and it's something from your childhood
you're thinking don't be frightened

you want to climb the ladder
you want to see forever
and you want to go forever.
and you want to cross your dna
to cross your dna with something reptile.
and you're questioning the sciences
and questioning religion
you're looking like an idiot
and you no longer care.
and you want bridge the schism,
a built-in mechanism to protect you.
and you're looking for salvation
and you're looking for deliverance
you're looking for deliverance
you're looking like an idiot
and you no longer care.
you want to climb the ladder
you want to see forever.
you want to go forever.

Bow down to Stipe. Lyrical genius for the ages.
:bow::drool:

I LOVE this song! :heart: When I was young and "Up" came out, I used to play this on my headphones and dance and then sort of jog/run-in-place when it gets all fast at the end, and then I'd be all sweaty and play it again! :dancing:

I love R.E.M. and Stipey is pure brilliance with the words.

I saw them on Monster tour and Up tour and Up was definitely the better of the 2. Just an awesome, awesome show. :applaud: Michael asked if anyone wanted to hear anything in particular and I shouted as loud as I could, "BEGIN THE BEGIN!!!" But he didn't hear me, and they played something else. :sad: But whatever it was, I'm sure it was great. :up:

(Great R.E.M. thread, by the way. :p )

MrBrau1 said:
The thread title actually sucks.

"What's your least favorite song off your favorite album" would work better for me.

Semantics, I know, but...

I'm having a hard time playing my favorite albums and having any opinion that results in "worst."

this is the worst post in my favorite thread.

OK, who wants Murmur and Reckoning? I have links ready for both of them.

Lance has mail.

Last edited:
I think that if/when this thread gets closed, we should have one single REM thread, especially since they are working on new material and all. :drool:

I haven't posted on this thread yet, but because of it I just bought the following:
Automatic for the People
Murmur
Monster
New Adventures in Hi-Fi
Reveal
Around the Sun
(very cheap used copies at amazon!)
I owned Out of Time and Up already, so I'm pretty excited with my new REM collection!

OK, well I just listened to Green and Out Of Time for the first time today, and I must say...

Out of Time owns Green on so many levels. It really is Green on steroids and caffeine.

Song-for-song I enjoy Out of Time far more, it's more experimental, fun, and it has more hits. Radio Song is ridiculously fun, Losing My Religion is still a great song, Near Wild Heaven is fantastic pop, Belong is unique and awesome, Country Feedback (best song title ever) has this creepy, yet enjoyable darkness to it, and Me In Honey is a perfect summation. Shiny Happy People still doesn't make me want to punch anything. I didn't like Low very much, Half A World away is REM-by-numbers, and Endgame needs lyrics before it could become a great, great song.

Green is OK on first listen. Orange Crush is good, as is Turn You Inside-Out. Stand isn't anything special (BTW, I did recognize the chorus immediately :wink: ), and most of the ballads are pretty monotonous. I enjoyed the untitled track. That's about it.

Out of Time - 8/10
Green - 6/10

LemonMelon said:
Green is OK on first listen. Orange Crush is good, as is Turn You Inside-Out. Stand isn't anything special (BTW, I did recognize the chorus immediately :wink: ), and most of the ballads are pretty monotonous. I enjoyed the untitled track. That's about it.

Go listen to World Leader Pretend again pls. It's one of my fav REM songs ever, not just on Green. :drool:

Zootlesque said:

Go listen to World Leader Pretend again pls. It's one of my fav REM songs ever, not just on Green. :drool:

:up:

i listened to that in high school. the lyrics really caught me.

I'm disappointed this thread went ridiculously off-topic, save the REM/Radiohead worship for REM and Radiohead specific threads....

Vale what was a good topic...

Send all of the R.E.M./Radiohead-loving threads to North Dakota to Grand High Bonohating Priest Win Butler.

They will be welcome to the wood chippers.

intedomine said:
I'm disappointed this thread went ridiculously off-topic, save the REM/Radiohead worship for REM and Radiohead specific threads....

Vale what was a good topic...

It's a garbage topic. The fact it went off only improves it. 3 or 4 people got to hear some of REM's best work. If it had stayed on topic that wouldn't have happened. Knuckleheads would have kept saying "Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World" and "Let Down."

its a wonderful topic. you're just jealous because you didnt come up with it.

I love R.E.M.
I would love to see them make another rock record.

and I'll add to the original thread topic

Muse-- Black Holes and Revelations - Hoodoo
U2-- Achtung Baby - So Cruel/TTTYAATW tie
Arcade Fire-- Funeral - Crown of Love

Back
Top Bottom