Name the musicians you've had the pleasure of meeting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

impy13

ONE love, blood, life
I figured this would be a interesting, light little idea for a thread.

I've had the pleasure of meeting:

The three girls in Eisley. Eisley, like myself, hail from north Texas and are starting to get noticed a little bit here and there. Nothing too special, but the girls have excellent voices and a handful of nice songs.

I also met the National last month at ACL Fest.

And earlier this year, I met my favorite songwriter, Jeff Tweedy. I don't normally get starstruck, but I struggled to find coherent sentences. Meeting him was easily one of the highlights of this year for me.

Now your turn. Go.

Can't think of whether I've met anybody, but Tony Levin, bassist extraodinaire for Peter Gabriel and many other groups, e-mailed me back once after I sent him a note saying how much I appreciated his work. That was nice. Over the years, he's had a great online journal of his activities.

http://www.tonylevin.com/

I saw Rage Against The Machine in a small club in Toronto in 92. They had just released their first album and hadn't really become famous yet.

After the show, me and a couple of friends went to eat at a restaurant up the street and ended up eating at the same table with Zack and Tom.

Zack was very quiet and seemed shy almost but Tom was hilarious and very entertaining to talk to...

Mr. The Edge in 2005.

That's it! We didn't say very much to each other (mostly because I got starstruck).

Bono & Edge
Lou Reed
Bob Mould from Husker Du and Sugar
Mos Def
Louise from Veruca Salt
4/5 of Pavement (no Malkmus :( )
Britt Daniel from Spoon (just last week!)
Dave Grohl
Humpty a.k.a. G-Shock from Digital Underground
Andre 3000 from OutKast
Davey von Bohlen from The Promise Ring & Maritime

Bono
Larry
Ryan Adams
Jimmy Gnecco
Grant Lee Phillips
Kristen Hersh
Wayne Coyne (he literally ran into me almost knocking me down in the Chicago airport and I talked to him for about 5 minutes)

Mr Hudson & Joy from Mr. Hudson & The Library

they were very nice (though slightly stoned :D ) and they will be huge some day soon if there's any justice left in this world

lazarus said:

You probably won't want me to post my list of actors and actresses then.

Especially if Jeff Goldblum and/or Willem Dafoe make that list... fuckin' love Dafoe.

You should post it in the Random Discussion thread though, it'll be cool to see.

elevated_u2_fan said:
I saw Rage Against The Machine in a small club in Toronto in 92. They had just released their first album and hadn't really become famous yet.

After the show, me and a couple of friends went to eat at a restaurant up the street and ended up eating at the same table with Zack and Tom.

Zack was very quiet and seemed shy almost but Tom was hilarious and very entertaining to talk to...

That...is the greatest story I've ever heard. I love that Zack is so soft-spoken...this is the same guy who wrote FUCK YOU I WONT DO WHAT YA TELL ME UNNGHHHH MUTHAFUCKAAAAAA UNGGH!

laz- holy shit, how do you manage to meet so many awesome musicians? B-man and Edge, Mos, Lou Reed, Andre 3000, Dave Grohl? wow is all I gotta say. That's amazing. I'd like to hear those stories in detail!

I met Alien Ant Farm because my good friend knew their drummer from the internet (yes, THE INTERNET!). They're fucking cool as hell, we chilled backstage for like an hour just talking about various things. The guitarist Joe Hill even let me play his guitar 'cause I said I figured out the solo to one of the new songs...fuckin' unreal. I know most people only know them because SMOOTH CRIMINAL COVER LOLOLZOL, but they're a legitimate rock band with four good albums and they are one of my favourites, so it was one of the best days of my life for sure.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Ryan Adams

Me too...since we met him together. :D

Not really a meeting, but when April and I saw Damien Rice, April was in the bathroom when Damien got offstage. When he walked by me, he accidentally kicked over April's beer bottle. He looked at the bottle and then looked at me, and he actually looked really horrified, like I was gonna be mad. I said, "That's okay, it was almost gone." He smiled and thanked me.

Thanks to April's beer/bladder, I got to talk to Damien Rice. :wink:

Bono
Regine, Win and Marika from Arcade Fire

some jazz drummer who's now dead .... we (the jazz band at school) went to a concert of his in high school and met him afterwards. Buddy Rich, maybe?

And I saw Chris Martin from afar when he was at my workplace a few years ago. I had no desire to go join the throng to meet him, I just observed and said "Yup, there's Chris Martin." :wink:

Bonochick said:

Me too...since we met him together. :D

Not really a meeting, but when April and I saw Damien Rice, April was in the bathroom when Damien got offstage. When he walked by me, he accidentally kicked over April's beer bottle. He looked at the bottle and then looked at me, and he actually looked really horrified, like I was gonna be mad. I said, "That's okay, it was almost gone." He smiled and thanked me.

Thanks to April's beer/bladder, I got to talk to Damien Rice. :wink:

Bastard, knocking over my beer :mad:

:wink:

AtomicBono said:
laz- holy shit, how do you manage to meet so many awesome musicians? B-man and Edge, Mos, Lou Reed, Andre 3000, Dave Grohl? wow is all I gotta say. That's amazing. I'd like to hear those stories in detail!

Living in Los Angeles helps a lot. So does working on Melrose Ave.

When I was living in Boston, Lou Reed was doing a record signing across the street from my work and I had to bring him an ashtray so he could smoke while he was giving autographs. He wasn't very friendly.

Oh, I forgot to mention the 2 guys from Supergrass who aren't Gaz.

And Joanie Sledge from Sister Sledge.

i tried meeting Ryan Adams, but met the rest of the band, The Cardinals, instead..nice guys they signed my poster

Conor Oberst and some random band members
they signed my I'm Wide Awake It's Morning vinyl

Willy Mason
Eisley
Fran Healy (Travis singer)

musicians I would like to meet:
Bruce Springsteen
Jeff Tweedy
Ryan Adams
The Edge
Wayne Coyne

Bono
Edge
Adam
(I got Larry's autograph but didnt really get to talk to him)
Jim Kerr (Simple Minds)
Charlie Burchill (Simple Minds)
Andrew Farriss (INXS)

miles hunt, malc treece (the wonder stuff)
oasis (noel, liam, bonehead, tony mccarroll)

thats all...

The Edge
Win Butler (he did not steal my basketball)

Also, as a funny sidenote, a friend of mine used to work for the famous Bigelow's pharmacy in NYC. Lou Reed walked in, on the day of a big David Bowie tribute concert, sick as a dog. Long story short, he was very pleased with the humidifier my friend picked out for him, and came back the next day and took her out to lunch. Neat, huh?

Last edited:
One of my good friends from high school had an older brother who got into wrestling (as in WWE stuff). Somehow through wrestling fan circles, he met Bob Mould, who is also a big wrestling fan (or at least was at the time). They got to be friendly, and my friend's brother invited him to his wedding.

Much to my good friend's dismay, Bob Mould did not attend.

Bono
Mike Peters from the Alarm (one of the nicest people in music)
Billy Bragg (ditto)
Grant Lee Phillips (ditto again)
Peter Buck :drool:
Marty Willson-Piper from the Church
Daniel Lanois
Fiachna from the Hothouse Flowers

The Sad Punk said:
None.

Nice. What's he like?

Me and a couple friends met Bob before a Sugar show at the University of Iowa. It was in some school venue, which we were free to wander around in, and ran into Bob in the hallway. He stopped and talked to us for about 10 minutes, and was totally gracious and laid back (much like he comes across in his on-stage banter if you've ever seen him perform solo).

BTW, that show was absolutely blistering. It's difficult to describe exactly how intense Sugar was in concert. They would just plow through song after song, the pop melodies barely detectable undernearth the fury. A real shame the band only put out 2 albums and an EP.

Back
Top Bottom