Name the musicians you've had the pleasure of meeting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't think of a single famous or even semi-famous musician I've met in person, but I've interviewed a few over the phone since I used to do quite a few stories for the Arts and Entertainment section of the newspaper I work for. I got to interview Merle Haggard once which was really cool even though I'm not exactly a fan. I also got to interview Robert Cray once, which was cool because I am a fan.

My list is so random it makes me laugh.

James Hetfield
Tom Araya
Slash
Gene Loves Jezebel
Michael Stipe (if you call yelling at him behind the venue a "meeting")

:uhoh:

I loved Los Angeles in the 80's.

There aren't many.

- Steve Kilbey, Marty Willson-Piper, Peter Koppes, and Tim Powles of The Church
- Rob Dickinson of Catherine Wheel (and now solo)
- and the members of Sea Ray -- I don't remember all their names offhand and don't feel like looking them up. The band has since broken up.

All of them have been amazingly nice.

Oh and I said hello to Bootsy Collins once. He was a guest musician at one gig with a local band I liked. :)

Last edited:
Not many! I did meet Lawrence Gowan, otherwise known as "Gowan." He was pretty big in Canada for a long time. I interviewed him for the university paper at the very end of that cycle. :wink: Nice guy...he's with Styx now.

I also received an actual email from Eddie Vedder once, but I'll save it for a "Name the musicians you've had the pleasure of corresponding with" thread.

This thread reminds me of the good ol' days of growing up in my old stomping ground of Sth Melbourne (here in Oz). At the time (and probably still does now) it had a high concentration of recording studio's and record company office's in the neighborhood, so seeing members of Aussie bands roaming about was a regular occurance :wink: I always remember one time seeing Michael Hutchence wandering down the street and my sis and I calling out to him and saying hello .. which makes me sad thinking about it now :(

The first time I ever saw members of the Church in person was standing a couple of people behind them in a queue and the local supermarket checkout :wink: As a giggly 14 year old (or something!) fan, this was quite something special!

:)

lazarus said:

Me and a couple friends met Bob before a Sugar show at the University of Iowa. It was in some school venue, which we were free to wander around in, and ran into Bob in the hallway. He stopped and talked to us for about 10 minutes, and was totally gracious and laid back (much like he comes across in his on-stage banter if you've ever seen him perform solo).

BTW, that show was absolutely blistering. It's difficult to describe exactly how intense Sugar was in concert. They would just plow through song after song, the pop melodies barely detectable undernearth the fury. A real shame the band only put out 2 albums and an EP.

I have one of the Sugar albums :up: Never saw them live.

Where on Melrose do you, or did you work? I worked on it in the 80s :shifty:

Most of these I've just met and shook hand with or said "Hi" to, but a couple I did actually talk to for a few minutes:

Brandon Flowers, David Keuning and Mark Stoermer (The Killers)
Robert Smith (The Cure)
Mark Hoppus (Blink182, +44)
Simon LeBon, Nick Rhodes, Andy Taylor, Roger Taylor (Duran Duran)
Curt Smith and Roland Orzabal (Tears For Fears)
Kevin Haskins, David J. and Daniel Ash (Love and Rockets)
Jaime Morrison (The Noisettes)

and I saw Andrew Fletcher from Depeche Mode. He was standing 3 feet away from me, but I didn't get to say "Hi".

I think that's it. At least all I can remember for now.

Adam Clayton
Ben Harper and all of the Innocent Criminals (sat and talked to them for a bit)
Wayne Coyne, Steven Drozd, and Kliph from The Flaming Lips (talked to Wayne for a few minutes)
Justin Sane from Anti-Flag (shook his hand and said thanks for the music)

They've all been amazingly nice and gracious. :D

angelordevil said:

"Name the musicians you've had the pleasure of corresponding with" thread.

oooh! I could add JD Daugherty (Patti Smith group and briefly The Church) and Jeffery Cain (Remy Zero). Jeffery Cain emailed me an (at the time) unreleased song. That was cool. :)

Last edited:
Weird Al Yankovic - At a Halloween party in the 80's - He was very sweet.

(Not me but my brother went to a family barbeque at Snoop Dogs house :ohmy: ... and he used to help BB King when BB went music shopping.... :) )

I used to work at Amoeba Records in Hollywood. If anyone has been there they know that it is the best record store in the world. Its as big as a supermarket. Ive had the pleasure of metting Elvis Costello, Dwight Yokahm ( who is the nicest guy in the world), Dolly Parton ( and she called me her Sugar Booger haha), Iggy pop, Brody from the Distilers ( I actually fell in love at that point hehe) Billy Joe from Green day, JC from Nsync ( who is the biggest Jackass Ive ever met). Dr. Dre, Ice Cube. Also I work as asst. manager and Bartender at slidebar which is owned by Jeremy Popoff from the band LIT, So our regular clients are all the guys from LIT obviously, Dexter from offspring, Jason Freeze from Green Day, Josh Freeze ( his older borther) from The Vandals and Ozzy and Perfect Circle, Tre Cool of Green Day, I could go on and on. Also, my band has opened up for Sublime, No Doubt, Offspring, Bad Religion, Unwritten Law and Reel Big Fish. The Baws used to have a cool picture of me and Gwen holding hands while walking across the street to go to sound check. When I used to live at home I used to have it on display in the living room, haha.

Lila64 said:

I have one of the Sugar albums :up: Never saw them live.

Where on Melrose do you, or did you work? I worked on it in the 80s :shifty:

I worked at Aardvark's vintage clothing for a couple years. I'm pretty sure it was around in the 80's, one of the few stores that survived all this time.

I forgot to mention that I also met the members of Maroon 5 when they were temporarily just called Maroon, as my ex was good friends with them. It didn't come to mind before because I'm not a fan.

All of the members of Midnight Oil.
Talked with Peter Garrett for a few minutes about his impressions of Utah, etc. It was after their last ever US concert.

Howard Jones

I think thats it, oh yeah

I watched the members of Duran Duran play blackjack at the Hard Rock Hotel in Vegas from a couple feet away. Didn't actually talk to them though.

Wish I could meet Stipe or Edge

Last edited:
Bono
Edge
Adam
Gene Simmons
Paul Stanley
Bruce Kulick
Eric Singer
:uhoh: :reject: Matthew and Gunnar Nelson :shifty:

I feel like there's one more from my high school days but I can't remember who it was. :hmm:

lazarus said:

I worked at Aardvark's vintage clothing for a couple years. I'm pretty sure it was around in the 80's, one of the few stores that survived all this time.

I forgot to mention that I also met the members of Maroon 5 when they were temporarily just called Maroon, as my ex was good friends with them. It didn't come to mind before because I'm not a fan.

Aardvark's had been around a long time in the 70s/80s if I remember correctly. My sister got her Hawaiian shirt there, back when there were still deals and it wasn't a popular place and Melrose wasn't quite the shopping street it turned into. I worked on Melrose as well. I sent you an email :shifty:

Oh, back in the 80s I had Kelly from Girlschool in my living room :happy: And saw many celebrities in the record store I worked at, including George Carlin. Though I didn't realize it was him til I swiped his card and looked at the name :ohmy:

n94801290_31043868_638.jpg

Me and the bass player and guitarist from The Trews.

I met Matt Mays and Joel Plaskett, too. Mostly local artists.

dsmith2904 said:

OMG, I met them too! I actually kissed Matthew on the hand (I was 13 and he was gorgeous!!!).

I forgot until now that I did meet them a few years ago (it was work-related). They both looked good. Their hair is shorter now, but I thought they looked much better that way. I remember seeing some video of theirs back in the late '80s and thinking,
"Hmmm. I like pretty boys with long hair, but that might be taking things a bit too far."

bono
edge
johnny marr :drool: :heart: :combust:
isaac brock :drool: :heart: :combust:
tom peloso
eric judy
abe davis (johnnys guitar tech)
pat graham (photographer)
lots of country musicians and shit..famous and not so famous..too many to list and i dont care..

well, i "sort of" met frankie valley when i was younger. was just a fleeting "hello" "hey, how ya doing.." lol. (damn new jersey!)

met all the members of Marcy Playground (with the "Sex and Candy" song back in '97-98) in 2004. all very very very very down to earth guys.
me, my friend who used to be their roadie, and a couple of us from their message board all hung out with them most of the night after their show at the Mercury Lounge.

met the bands Drowning Pool and Coal Chamber in Philadelphia in 2002 at the Electric Factory. Same roadie friend was with DP at the time and my friend was a fan and dragged me along. the drowning pool guys were suprisingly really nice and polite. not a fan of their music, though. lol.

met the drummer from American Hi-Fi. very cool band.

met Isaac Brock and Eric Judy of Modest Mouse in August with tanner_sis. VERY nice guys. and no, isaac is not the rude asshole rumors may have it. well, he can be rude if he wanted to, but he was very, very nice to us and down to earth. just regular guys.
and sort of met their guitar tech Abe. HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA. depends on how ya look at that.

sooort of met johnny marr, LOL. well, talked to him on the phone. tanner_sis met him and put him on the phone to talk to me, heh. very very very very very very very awesome, kind, down to earth, gracious, polite guy. one of the sweetest people in the world.

and uh... letsee.. heh.

a bunch of local bands... lol.

yeah if you add sortas..

love as laughter
band of horses

and again tons of people i dont really care about..or country shit..

i met trick pony..used to tour with confederate railroad and american grease.. knew them all personally.. john berry..know him personally.. like i said tons of country artists..kenny chestney..garth brooks..ty herndon.. john micheal montgomery.. willie nelson ( tho i was really young and barely remember it) .. reba mccantire ..spelling..dont care..

tanner_sis said:
yeah if you add sortas..

love as laughter
band of horses

and again tons of people i dont really care about..or country shit..

i met trick pony..used to tour with confederate railroad and american grease.. knew them all personally.. john berry..know him personally.. like i said tons of country artists..kenny chestney..garth brooks..ty herndon.. john micheal montgomery.. willie nelson ( tho i was really young and barely remember it) .. reba mccantire ..spelling..dont care..

LMAO!!! Reba LMAO!!!!!!!

:lmao:

DAMN COUNTRY FREAK!! :madspit:

heh.

Back
Top Bottom