Name The Album(s) You Just Bought - Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
macphister said:
Sorry Bonochick, but the feeling of downloading a great album for free beats any feeling I get from opening the CD....and putting it in the player?

You could always burn your free music to a CD-R, throw it in an empty case, and then wrap it in cellophane and tape. Then it's like you just bought it from the store. Commence the unwrapping, put the CD-R in your CD player, and read the liner notes online....and ahhhhhh.....you've satiated your need to touch, you've got your music, and you've got an extra $15 in your pocket.

Bittorrent is what the internet was made for. I suggest downloading Shareaza (shareaza.com) and shopping at suprnova.org. You'll also want a high-speed connection.

it just sounds better once you own the actual cd, not some CD-R you made 5 minutes ago. are you being sarcastic, or completly honest? because this really rubs me the wrong way if you're serious. perhaps i'm reading your posts the wrong way, because i dno't believe that anyone could be naiive enough to completly advocate not buying any music at all. maybe i'm reading too much into it, but it seems like you're fishing around for a fight on the subject of whether or not downloading music should be allowed.

Bonochick said:

There are other musicians besides U2 that need to have their love spread as well.

I love buying CDs...the feeling of peeling off the packaging and opening it up for the first time...putting that disc in the player...reading the liner notes...shit, ya can't beat it.

Oh my. I totally agree. :drool:

And this thread is for people who buy albums. If you don't buy any, then I fail to see why you would post here. Keep the downloading debate to the proper thread--I come in here to see what my interland friends are picking up at the record stores. :up:

:|

Do I need to mention all my excuses?
- I just got some extra money for my birthday from my parents (just ignore the fact that my birthday was more than 2 months ago :wink: )
- The music store that's going out of business had the CD's for 30% off today
- I woke up too late to go to Amsterdam to buy the English version of U2 Show
- Well, that's it, I think...

:|

Anyway, on to a happier message. This is what I bought today:
Calexico - Feast Of Wire (I just realised a few moments ago that this one is copy controlled :no: :barf: )
The Clash - London Calling
The Who - Who's Next

And I bought Uncut magazine, the one with the U2 Achtung Baby/Zoo TV/Zooropa article and a CD with 16 Tracks From The Films Of Martin Scorsese.

:hyper:
:dance:

And to the person who cannot see the joy in buying art. :tsk:
:madspit:

I needed some retail therapy today...

Chutes Too Narrow, the Shins
OK Go, OK Go
As/Is, John Mayer (double live CD)

plus a CD of Debussy's "La Mer/Prelude"

Oh, yeah, and please reserve this thread for your own retail therapy experiences, and not downloading.

Personally, for me, I have my 2 favorite record stores that I ALWAYS buy music at, because the clerks know me very well and they always have new recommendations for me. I owe my love of the White Stripes to Todd at Gallery of Sound; Rich at Musical Energi turned me on to PJ Harvey and Tori Amos a million years ago...

But, yah, talk about CDs you recently PURCHASED here.

'Kay? :)

Dark side of the Moon- I've had the vinyl for ages, but since my record player was destroyified in a flood a year ago, i've had no way to play it. So tonight I bought me a bonified new copy.

the lunatic is in the hall...

I just finished ordering three albums:

Beside Yourself
Seance (remastered)
Heyday (remastered)

all by The Church (well, it was from the ChurchMerch, so that would figure...)

And to add my comment to the little buy or download thingie going on earlier here.... I love to buy cds and related stuff, especially from bands I love and want to keep producing work. I adore getting all the album artwork, and quite frankly, as an artist myself, I understand the thrill of having someone like my work well enough to buy it. To me when someone illegally downloads music from an artist, it's the same as if someone shoplifted some of my artwork and had the nerve to tell me I should feel honored he/she liked it enough to bother stealing it! :madspit:

Anyway, back to cd artwork...I love cd artwork so much I actually bought the original artwork for the first album I purchased tonight! :D Five paintings altogether, about 14" x 14" each, (painted by the band's lead singer) and I am completely thrilled with them. Now THAT'S retail therapy!!

(oh, yeah, I have no problem whatsoever with legal downloading, just the illegal variety.)

robyn hitchcock's new album 'spooked' just arrived thursday (i was hoping it'd get here before halloween!) -- haven't listened to it yet though.
also i've ordered a bunch of other stuff but can't remember what it is.

okay. wtf. 'weird tales' by golden smog just showed up today except i only ordered it yesterday. amazon's shipping has gotten better, i guess.

Massive Attack - 'Mezzanine'

($6.99 used, cant beat that!)

I also ordered some CDs which will remain un-named.

u2popmofo said:

I also ordered some CDs which will remain un-named.

now that you've mentioned it, you don't get off the hook that easily.

:wink:

TELL US.

IWasBored said:

now that you've mentioned it, you don't get off the hook that easily.

TELL US.

One was the U2 - 'Vertigo' single. The other will not be named for a few weeks (cannot give away presents)

i thought it was some super-embarrasing thing.

so i could laugh at you.

;)

the killers - hot fuss
franz ferdinand
wilco - yankee hotel foxtrot
uncle tupelo - anodyne
and emmylou harris - stumble into grace

all showed up today. i thought i'd ordered morrissey's 'you are the quarry' too but it wasn't there. maybe i didn't order it...? :eyebrow:

u2popmofo said:
AFI - 'AFI'

:der:

i'll be buying that tomorrow because i completly forgot about it.

i went into the store and remembered bouncing souls, but forgot AFI, and spent the money on blood for blood.

so i got:
bouncing souls - maniacal laughter
blood for blood - revenge on society

my school decided to give me back $645 bucks when my health insurance waiver went through (which was months ago, but it took them until now to give me back the money), i get paid on friday, so i do believe a few albums can be purchased without causing too much financial stress.

:drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom