Name the album(s) you just bought

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the long winters--when i pretend to fall
u.s. roughnecks--twenty bucks and two black eyes

Honestly, IWB, knowing what you usually listen to, I'm not sure how you'd feel about Death Cab and The Postal Service. And I'm no expert on Death Cab's whole back catalogue, but I'd recommend these songs for you to try out if you can find them:

Death Cab for Cutie:
The New Year
We Looked Like Giants
Tiny Vessels
The Sound of Settling (mofo likes that one a lot)

Those are all from their latest album. Maybe someone else could suggest older songs of theirs.

The Postal Service:
Such Great Heights
The District Sleeps Alone Tonight
Clark Gable
We Will Become Silhouettes

Hope that helps. :) Or were you looking for a description of the music? :huh:

IWasBored said:
get me to like that album.

with all the purchases of it, i can't help but feel like i'm missing out on something.

it bored me last i heard it. change my mind, somebody.

Wait...nevermind! Seems you've already heard the Death Cab album. And if it bored you the first time, the only thing to do is listen a few more times and see how you feel. I like it because of the lyrics, and I'm a big fan of Ben Gibbard's voice. The music suits my fancy, too. :wink: The Postal Service is basically just Ben Gibbard with an electronic wizard (Jimmy Tamborello) rather than a band. You might still check them out, though.

HeartlandGirl said:
Honestly, IWB, knowing what you usually listen to, I'm not sure how you'd feel about Death Cab and The Postal Service. And I'm no expert on Death Cab's whole back catalogue, but I'd recommend these songs for you to try out if you can find them:

Death Cab for Cutie:
The New Year
We Looked Like Giants
Tiny Vessels
The Sound of Settling (mofo likes that one a lot)

Those are all from their latest album. Maybe someone else could suggest older songs of theirs.

The Postal Service:
Such Great Heights
The District Sleeps Alone Tonight
Clark Gable
We Will Become Silhouettes

Hope that helps. :) Or were you looking for a description of the music? :huh:

thanks. starting points. that's what i was asking. given what i usually listen to...i'm wierd that way though, and i will get into anything if i end up listening and ejoying it.

i think my boredem and annoyance with the one album was me listening to an album with some kind of cyncaism or pre-deciding i would hate it, and listening was supposed to solidify my hatred for it. since i didn't loathe it, and plenty of interferencers whose musical tastes i respect are so into this album, it must not just be for elitist indie college radio kids, and perhaps it's not an overrated piece of shit afterall. which means i must listen again. but where to start? and now i have starting points. thank you.

i was not aware of the postal service/death cab connection. interesting.

Jack In The Box said:
best Transatlanticism song :drool:

:yes: Easily my favorite song on the album so far.

IWB, glad you have some starting points now. You'll have to let us know what you think if you check either or both of the bands out. And I wanted to clarify that I didn't mean anything bad by "knowing what you usually listen to..." I just meant that it was hard to know which songs you might like. It's cool that you're open minded about music. :up:

HeartlandGirl said:

:yes: Easily my favorite song on the album so far.

IWB, glad you have some starting points now. You'll have to let us know what you think if you check either or both of the bands out. And I wanted to clarify that I didn't mean anything bad by "knowing what you usually listen to..." I just meant that it was hard to know which songs you might like. It's cool that you're open minded about music. :up:

i've got plans to check stuff out one week from friday (when i'm next around said albums). i will be sure to tell you (probably more than you want to know) what i think.

no worries, i didn't think you meant it to be a bad thing about knowing what i usually listen to. hey, even if you did that would be ok, i've got some rather screwed up combinations of favorite bands. there aren't a lot barenaked ladies and agnostic front fans out there as far as i know...

arw9797 said:
:reject: I haven't bought anything new since around this time last year :reject:

:shocked:

seeing as it's weird for me to go a month without buying something, i cannot imagine this.

arw9797 said:

:shrug: I have a slight obsession with live U2 so that keeps me busy.

but...it's just the same songs...over and over...

well, whatever floats your boat. :up: not like me and my repeat button habits should talk or anything ;)

I should add...what's even worse is I wouldn't know what to buy. I hardly listen to the radio long enough to catch anything new. Going back to the Velvet Revolver talk from the other thread, I actually have seen the video on MTV more than I've heard it on the radio. Yeah...MTV actually plays videos again off and on....scary.

i saw the video on MTV too...it was wierd. it was like 4am, but it was still on regular MTV.

and then they played modest mouse.

yes, i nearly wet my pants. ok, not really...;)

fah said:

:ohmy:

I know this isn't confessionals but I too buy several cds every month.

And there is nothing wrong your obsession with U2 - many of us have it :wink:

:D I never said there was anything wrong with it. I was just stating that I have enough live U2 to even care about listening to other stuff right now. On top of it I've spent so much time listening to live stuff that I just started listening to the albums again. Some of them I probably haven't heard in at least a year or longer. So now I have that stuff to listen to again. Sometimes I'd like to have something else to listen to but if I'm in the car then I just listen to the radio for a while.

my list:

Vintage Vaults Presents: Johnny Cash
Vintage Vaults Presents: Bob Marley
Vintage Vaults Presents: Billie Holiday
*all are 4cd box sets
Best of Frank Sinatra
*3 cd set

= to about $80 worth of cds

:laugh:

That doesnt even list the cds coming from Amazon.com

The Frames: Set List
Modest Mouse: Good News For People Who Love Bad News
Gavin Friday: Adam & Eve

and thats all I can remember right now!!

:lol:

adamswildhoney said:
my list:

Vintage Vaults Presents: Johnny Cash
Vintage Vaults Presents: Bob Marley
Vintage Vaults Presents: Billie Holiday
*all are 4cd box sets
Best of Frank Sinatra
*3 cd set

= to about $80 worth of cds

:lol:

:applaud:

Frank, Johnny, Bob and Billie :drool:

long list, and all used.

Chemical Brothers - Dig Your Own Hole
Midnight Oil - Blue Sky Mining
Gorky's Zygotic Mynci - Diamond Dew single ($1!!!!)
Travis - The Invisible Band
Noir Desir - Tostasky
The Rentals - Seven More Minutes
Uncut: 17 Track Guide To The Month's Best Music 2001
Crowded House - Temple of the Low Men
Sugarflies (local band): Q:A - And That's Why!

using the gift certificate i received to the used record shop in town:

mighty mighty bosstones--question the answers
mighty mighty bosstones--more noise & other disturbances
REM--green
oasis--(what's the story) morning glory

this is all stuff i should have bought years ago.

IWasBored said:

seeing as it's weird for me to go a month without buying something, i cannot imagine this.

I just don't have the money to do that anymore. :sigh:

I've been sharing lots of Ryan Adams boots lately though, so I have some more shows and stuff coming my way from people to say thanks. :drool: My Ryan collection keeps me occupied.

I still wish I could hit the music stores and drop some cash though. :mad:

oh, i don't actually have the money either...

i mean, i do, because i've been spending it, but as of late i've been buying a 7" single, split EP, whatever, here and there...basically spending about the equivalent of 1 cd a month. it's just not a great deal of money...and i shouldnt be spending it.

my birthday allowed me to purchase that last haul.

I've said it before in this thread not too long ago, but I'm stoked that people are buying (What's the Story) Morning Glory. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom