Name a movie critics hated but you liked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saracene

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Melbourne, Australia, some time after tea
A movie that gets slapped by the majority of critics, but when you actually watch it you go, "Hmm... that wasn't bad at all..."?

I really enjoyed "Devil's Advocate" with Al Pacino and Keanu Reeves, for example.

I just saw Kingdom of Heaven and really liked it, despite the critics saying it sucked.

I thought 'The Interpreter' was better than it was given credit for - that's the only one I can think off of the top of my head.

Gladiator

Most of the reviews I've read weren't so nice, but I LOVE it. LOVE Russell Crowe, LOVE Joaquin Phoenix, LOVE LOVE LOOOOOOOVE Hans Zimmer (score composer). Perfect!

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Gladiator

Most of the reviews I've read weren't so nice, but I LOVE it. LOVE Russell Crowe, LOVE Joaquin Phoenix, LOVE LOVE LOOOOOOOVE Hans Zimmer (score composer). Perfect!

I love Gladiator too!! I remember Ebert saying something like" the colosieum (sp?) looked like something out of a video game" I also remember the multiude of critics who bashed Joaquin Phoenix for his acting. Phoenix was my favorite part of the movie! He was so sympathetic and yet a good villian at the same time.

And yes Gladiator has one of the best film scores of all time.

Vanilla Sky. It has it's problems when weighed up against the original (which I saw 2nd), and the ending is a little shady, but it was wrongly panned by everyone when it's really a great, great film.

I have to add Brotherhood Of The Wolf on the list. I loved that the movie was a mix of different genres.

House of 1000 Corpses

Can't tell you why, but I loved it.

Gregg Araki's "Nowhere" and "The Doom Generation."

I can see why a critic would hate these movies, but they are very interesting nonetheless and an excellent example of making interesting movies with disjointed to no plots.

Melon

melon said:
Gregg Araki's "Nowhere" and "The Doom Generation."

I can see why a critic would hate these movies, but they are very interesting nonetheless and an excellent example of making interesting movies with disjointed to no plots.

Melon

Do you mind if I sit on your face and cut a big juicey fart?
:lmao:
And he could still get work after that!

Sparkysgrrrl said:
Do you mind if I sit on your face and cut a big juicey fart?
:lmao:
And he could still get work after that!

LOL...indeed.

Well, Araki's latest film, "Mysterious Skin," is probably getting the best reviews of his career. I can't wait to see it someday.

I wish "Nowhere" would get a Region 1/NTSC DVD release. It's available in Region 2/PAL in the UK. :angry:

Melon

melon said:

Well, Araki's latest film, "Mysterious Skin," is probably getting the best reviews of his career. I can't wait to see it someday.

I wish "Nowhere" would get a Region 1/NTSC DVD release. It's available in Region 2/PAL in the UK. :angry:

Melon
You know, I just realized I was listening to Ebert and Roeper review that film last night and it didn't click who the director is. Now I definately want to check it out. :yes:

Gladiator :heart: I saw this movie in the theatre so many times when it first came out and I never see movies even twice.

Sliding Doors is one of my FAVORITE movies and the ONLY movie with Gwyneth Paltrow that I like.

A Life Less Ordinary is also perfection, though I'm not sure that it was slammed by critics, I would bet it was and it certainly wasn't successful at the box office.

Say It Isn't So is a Farrelly Brothers movie (not written/directed, only produced) that was slaughtered by critics but I think it's pretty funny overall. Sure, some parts are baaad, but "You have a robot?!" is one of the most-repeated-movie-lines between me and my husband. And :heart: Orlando Jones in that movie :heart:

Adding more to the list........

Bladerunner : Bashed by the critics and by the leading actor Harrison Ford and I still love it!
Flash Gordon
Legend: Yes Mia Sara is annoying but Tim Curry kept me entertained.
Labyrinth: A movie I enjoyed since childhood. It scared me a little when I first saw it.
Essex Boys: Sean Bean is the main reason I enjoyed the film. Bean is great when it comes to portraying ruthless thugs/villians.
The Lost Boys: A 80's classic
Highlander
Point Break

The_One1932 said:
CABLE GUY

"I JUST WANTED TO HANG OUT...NO BIG DEEEAAALLLLL!!!!!!!"

Very underrated movie....too dark of a comedy to come out when it did. If it came out now, I think it would have been recieved better. I mean, didn't this follow Dumb and Dumber and Batman and Robin on Mr. Carrey's resume?

Back
Top Bottom