Name a Good Movie You've Hated... - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2005, 07:30 AM   #31
Refugee

Local Time: 10:02 PM
Quote:
Good Will Hunting. Everyone is going to disagree with me on this one, as no one offline has ever agreed with me before. I found it terribly average.
I despised that movie with a vengeance. Everyone was whiny and drowning in pitiful self-loathing, and Matt Damon irritated the hell out of me, as did Minnie Driver. I'm glad Robin Williams got an oscar (finally), because I think the man is not only insanely funny but really a talented actor, but still, his part was very average, if you ask me.

I disagree with you on Fargo, though. Great movie.

Quote:
I rented it simply because of the acclaim, but again found myself spending most of it wondering if it was some kind of joke.
You're actually not too far off on that. Contrary to popular belief, and the movie's intro, Fargo is 'not' based on a true story, and these murders didn't in fact take place (at least, not as depicted in the movie). Fargo isn't even in Minnesota, its in North Dakota .The movie, like many Coen Brothers pictures, is a joke, so to speak. A superbly acted, scripted and elaborate one.

Coen Brothers take rarely take their films seriously in the conventional sense. They like to take old plot devices and genres and give it a whole new spin on them, sometimes even changing them so much you find it hard to even recognise the genre, but its still there. Their easiest example to follow is 'Miller's Crossing', a relatively 'strange' gangster movie, to say the least. Fargo is a rip off of film noir, as many of their films are, and also of 'the true story' film, essentially making fun of all those movies which begin with the 'this is based on a true story' and the oh so patronising 'our of respect for the people involved, their names have been changed' etc. Its one giant piss-take.

Oh, its a lot more than that, but the whole point (if there is a point in any Coen Brothers movie) is really not so much in trying to make a great statement on humanity, but to try to draw the audience into a world so familiar and bland, to catch them as off guard as as the unsuspecting participants in the movie. The only real 'freak' in the film, and even he takes time to unravel, is Peter Stormare's character, the silent one - the rest are all fairly conventional. They're all 'so' blandly normal, until their little eccentricities reveal themselves. Except for Marge (Frances McDormand's character), who is almost absurdly normal.

Again, they love doing this; starting with a very normal, very bland and very realistic setting, and then slowly (sometimes abruptly) tranforming/warping it. In this case, how can anything be more 'normal' in our minds than 'oh, its a true story'? With that device, the plot in the first half of the movie resonates a lot more and, to an extent, disturbs us more. Maybe it even amuses more. But in a way, yes - it is a joke.

Gosh, I love this movie.

Ant.

Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 05-21-2005, 11:11 AM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
Good Will Hunting. Everyone is going to disagree with me on this one, as no one offline has ever agreed with me before. I found it terribly average.
i couldn't understand all the fuss about that movie either. i loathed matt damon's character. i didn't want him to succeed, i wanted him to get run over by a bus so the movie would end already.

mystic river was alright, but it wasn't all that great. i found the plot was kind of slow and dull.

training day--two hours of my life i will never get back.

i'm not a lord of the rings fan, but i can appreciate the artistic mastery that went into making the movies.

Old 05-21-2005, 11:18 AM   #33
Refugee

Local Time: 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Siren
I would like to add Closer to the list. It's not a bad movie just very overrated. Julia Roberts and Jude Law annoyed me so much during the whole film. I did enjoy Clive Owen and Natalie Portman's performance.
Agreed!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-21-2005, 02:48 PM   #34
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by The OOTS
and Moulon Rouge.

I guess I have a thing against musicals.
I absolutely hated this movie.
Old 05-21-2005, 03:48 PM   #35
Refugee

Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
Quote:
Originally posted by Saracene

I gotta say that personally I vastly prefer LoTR movies to the books <grins, ducks, runs>.

:O

yeah... you do right running I love the movies, but the book is even better

I also like the Clockwork Orange... alright, is not as good as the book (as usually) but I just love the 70's visual design and stuff so I really like to see that movie. And I love Moulin Rouge by a similar reason I love art noveau and all about the industrial revolution so I find that movie great in the visual level.

...now.. movies that I don't like:

* the english Patient
* Star Wars ( episodes I and II, I haven't seen the third) and the digitalized versions of the old ones (with unnecesary scenes and awful aliens as ever)
Old 05-21-2005, 04:12 PM   #36
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Muggsy

Star Wars ( episodes I and II, I haven't seen the third) and the digitalized versions of the old ones (with unnecesary scenes and awful aliens as ever)
I think you mean to post this in the "movies that critics and fans both disliked and you don't like either" category.
Old 05-21-2005, 04:19 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

The only good thing bout Moulon Rouge was Gavin's song....
Old 05-21-2005, 07:56 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Last Tango in Paris. It's not a complete waste of time - Brando has some astonishing acting moments, especially his character's monologue by his wife's side. But overall it's a pretentious bore IMO; Maria's Schneider's character is a vacuous plot contrivance and the irritating subplot with her boyfriend tested my patiece to the limit. Sex scenes are pretty tame and un-shocking by today's standards too.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:56 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by starsgoblue
The only good thing bout Moulin Rouge was Gavin's song....
Agreed. I really love Nicole Kidman, but I DESPISE Ewan 3487819385729875 TIMES as much as I love Nicole Kidman. He's so annoying, it makes me want to rip my own hair out!!!!! His voice is nails on a chalkboard.

Other-movies-everyone-else-loves-that-I-hate....

Top Gun
Star Wars
What About Bob
Down With Love (again with the Ewan thing)
Old 05-22-2005, 07:36 AM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:02 PM
I think this belongs in this thread...

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse...._shitty_movies

...lmao at the "Tom Clancy Plot Generator", too clever.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:14 PM   #41
Refugee

Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
Quote:
Originally posted by Saracene
Last Tango in Paris. It's not a complete waste of time - Brando has some astonishing acting moments, especially his character's monologue by his wife's side. But overall it's a pretentious bore IMO; Maria's Schneider's character is a vacuous plot contrivance and the irritating subplot with her boyfriend tested my patiece to the limit. Sex scenes are pretty tame and un-shocking by today's standards too.
hahaha.... I couldn't eat butter for a month after I've seen that movie.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:16 AM   #42
Refugee

Lost In Translation.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:31 AM   #43
Jesus Online

Local Time: 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

Agreed. I really love Nicole Kidman, but I DESPISE Ewan 3487819385729875 TIMES as much as I love Nicole Kidman.
As a rule, I cannot stand Nicole Kidman. She's a woeful actress. Honestly, she is wooden. I will never understand the appeal.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:17 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:02 PM
I hated Mystic River and Chicago.
I haven't seen most "good" moives because I'm not a big movie person.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:54 AM   #45
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
I hate most movies that have A-list actors.

Melon
Me, too. Give me Laura Linney or Diane Lane over Julia Roberts anyday. And give me Vincent D'Onofrio or Campbell Scott over Tom Cruise anyday.