Name a Good Movie You've Hated...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good Will Hunting. Everyone is going to disagree with me on this one, as no one offline has ever agreed with me before. I found it terribly average.

I despised that movie with a vengeance. Everyone was whiny and drowning in pitiful self-loathing, and Matt Damon irritated the hell out of me, as did Minnie Driver. I'm glad Robin Williams got an oscar (finally), because I think the man is not only insanely funny but really a talented actor, but still, his part was very average, if you ask me.

I disagree with you on Fargo, though. :wink: Great movie.

I rented it simply because of the acclaim, but again found myself spending most of it wondering if it was some kind of joke.

You're actually not too far off on that. Contrary to popular belief, and the movie's intro, Fargo is 'not' based on a true story, and these murders didn't in fact take place (at least, not as depicted in the movie). Fargo isn't even in Minnesota, its in North Dakota .The movie, like many Coen Brothers pictures, is a joke, so to speak. A superbly acted, scripted and elaborate one.

Coen Brothers take rarely take their films seriously in the conventional sense. They like to take old plot devices and genres and give it a whole new spin on them, sometimes even changing them so much you find it hard to even recognise the genre, but its still there. Their easiest example to follow is 'Miller's Crossing', a relatively 'strange' gangster movie, to say the least. Fargo is a rip off of film noir, as many of their films are, and also of 'the true story' film, essentially making fun of all those movies which begin with the 'this is based on a true story' and the oh so patronising 'our of respect for the people involved, their names have been changed' etc. Its one giant piss-take.

Oh, its a lot more than that, but the whole point (if there is a point in any Coen Brothers movie) is really not so much in trying to make a great statement on humanity, but to try to draw the audience into a world so familiar and bland, to catch them as off guard as as the unsuspecting participants in the movie. The only real 'freak' in the film, and even he takes time to unravel, is Peter Stormare's character, the silent one - the rest are all fairly conventional. They're all 'so' blandly normal, until their little eccentricities reveal themselves. Except for Marge (Frances McDormand's character), who is almost absurdly normal.

Again, they love doing this; starting with a very normal, very bland and very realistic setting, and then slowly (sometimes abruptly) tranforming/warping it. In this case, how can anything be more 'normal' in our minds than 'oh, its a true story'? With that device, the plot in the first half of the movie resonates a lot more and, to an extent, disturbs us more. Maybe it even amuses more. But in a way, yes - it is a joke.

Gosh, I love this movie.

Ant.

Angela Harlem said:
Good Will Hunting. Everyone is going to disagree with me on this one, as no one offline has ever agreed with me before. I found it terribly average.

i couldn't understand all the fuss about that movie either. i loathed matt damon's character. i didn't want him to succeed, i wanted him to get run over by a bus so the movie would end already.

mystic river was alright, but it wasn't all that great. i found the plot was kind of slow and dull.

training day--two hours of my life i will never get back. :mad:

i'm not a lord of the rings fan, but i can appreciate the artistic mastery that went into making the movies.

Saracene said:

I gotta say that personally I vastly prefer LoTR movies to the books <grins, ducks, runs>.

:O

yeah... you do right running :wink: I love the movies, but the book is even better :)

I also like the Clockwork Orange... alright, is not as good as the book (as usually) but I just love the 70's visual design and stuff so I really like to see that movie. And I love Moulin Rouge by a similar reason I love art noveau and all about the industrial revolution so I find that movie great in the visual level.

...now.. movies that I don't like:

* the english Patient
* Star Wars ( episodes I and II, I haven't seen the third) and the digitalized versions of the old ones (with unnecesary scenes and awful aliens as ever)

Last Tango in Paris. It's not a complete waste of time - Brando has some astonishing acting moments, especially his character's monologue by his wife's side. But overall it's a pretentious bore IMO; Maria's Schneider's character is a vacuous plot contrivance and the irritating subplot with her boyfriend tested my patiece to the limit. Sex scenes are pretty tame and un-shocking by today's standards too.

starsgoblue said:
The only good thing bout Moulin Rouge was Gavin's song....

Agreed. I really love Nicole Kidman, but I DESPISE Ewan 3487819385729875 TIMES as much as I love Nicole Kidman. He's so annoying, it makes me want to rip my own hair out!!!!! His voice is nails on a chalkboard. :banghead:

Other-movies-everyone-else-loves-that-I-hate....

Top Gun
Star Wars
What About Bob
Down With Love (again with the Ewan thing)

Saracene said:
Last Tango in Paris. It's not a complete waste of time - Brando has some astonishing acting moments, especially his character's monologue by his wife's side. But overall it's a pretentious bore IMO; Maria's Schneider's character is a vacuous plot contrivance and the irritating subplot with her boyfriend tested my patiece to the limit. Sex scenes are pretty tame and un-shocking by today's standards too.

hahaha.... I couldn't eat butter for a month after I've seen that movie.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Agreed. I really love Nicole Kidman, but I DESPISE Ewan 3487819385729875 TIMES as much as I love Nicole Kidman.

As a rule, I cannot stand Nicole Kidman. She's a woeful actress. Honestly, she is wooden. I will never understand the appeal.

And I hated "Sweet Home Alabama." I hate any movie that states one can only find truth in a small town among the simple folks whose lives don't go beyond than hanging out at the local honky tonk and the big city is full of evil and nasty people, especially nasty career women. Ugh.

Last edited:
You know, Tom Cruise gets bashed a lot, and I'm not going to sit here and tell you that he's the 2nd coming of Olivier....but, he has had a pretty strong career, and he has worked with the following directors:

Ridley Scott
PT Anderson
Steven Spielberg (Twice)
Cameron Crowe (Twice)
Francis Ford Coppola
Michael Mann
Rob Reiner
Barry Levinson
Stanley Kubrick
Neil Jordan
Martin Scorcese
Oliver Stone
Ron Howard
Sydney Pollack
Brian De Palma

That's an incredibly amazing list of Directors. Again, I'm not arguing for Cruise as our greatest actor or anything, just saying that the man has had an interesting career.

Still scratching my head over the antipathy towards Clockwork Orange. Yup, book was better, the book is supposed to be better. The end of the book was different than the film, which upset Burgess to no ned, amongst other elements of the film. But, man, I just find that film mesmerizing. Then again, I know a lot of people that cannot stand anything by Kubrick, so, I'm not surprised, I'll stop scratching my head....he's not everyone's cup of tea.

Agree on Closer...did not think it horrid, but, certainly did not think it was a great film. Roberts kills it for me, agree with the earlier post about preferring Laura Linney or someone of that ilk to Roberts any day.

And, I loved Fargo, I love most of the Coen brother's work, though, again, I know plenty that dislike.

Please tell me Batman Begins will be good. I love a good action movie, and I love the Batman mythos. The director is 2 for 2, as far as I'm concerned, so I hope his first foray into this genre of blockbuster films is a strong one.

Golightly Grrl said:
And I hated "Sweet Home Alabama." I hate any movie that states one can only find truth in a small town among the simple folks whose lives don't go beyond than hanging out at the local honky tonk and the big city is full of evil and nasty people, especially nasty career women. Ugh.
I hated pretty much everything about it. :D

Everybody & their brother seemed to love Pulp Fiction, There's Something About Mary and Dumb & Dumber.... I hated them all. :madspit:

The House of Flying Daggers. I thought that visually it was one of the most jaw-droppingly beautiful and exquisite movies I've ever seen, but eye candy can get you only that far without anything resembling an interesting plot or emotional involvement. By the time the final death scene happens I was thinking, oh get over with it already!

I struggled with The Thin Red Line , although I will return to it for another viewing at some point. There's a lot going on it that film; a bit too much for me to take in from one sitting.

I really like Fargo , but I must admit, it took a while to really get into the film and realise what made it so great. It's so subversive, deceptively so. If you didn't like it the first time, really do try again :)

Didn't like My best friends' wedding even though a lot of people seem to like it!

i love Mystic River :drool: about bloody time sean penn got an oscar:wink: :dance:
though i thought he did quite well on 21 grams and assasination of richard nixon as well

umm...i dont really keep up with critics so im not sure what is they love
i dont like new start wars, lord of the rings, harry potter, anything with tom hanks...or mel gibson and tom cruise [minus magnolia and vanilla sky:reject:]

but i guess if critics actually liked closckwork orange, donnie darko, fargo, usual suspects, pulp fiction, eternal sunshine on the spotless mind, american beauty then i have to conclude some of them do have good taste:up::cool:

Back
Top Bottom