My U2 iPod = Problem Ridden

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GG_The_Fly

The Fly
Three weeks after replacing my STOLEN iPod (I really felt violated - one's music collection is a very personal thing), my replacment U2 iPod is going back to Apple for a number of issues:

1. Things the headphones have been disconnected with only slight manipulation of jack
2. Freezes at least 1-2x/day
3. Battery life a pathetic 4-5 hours

Has anyone else experienced these problems with your iPod (mini, U2, or otherwise) ???

What a drag having to return this damn thing and wait for a replacement. . . :mad:

I got my U2 one yesterday, just downloaded the complete U2 on to it and to say im impressed is an understatement. The way it organizes your songs is simply brilliant. Cant comment on problems coz ive only had it a day!!!

NamelessStreets said:
I got my U2 one yesterday, just downloaded the complete U2 on to it and to say im impressed is an understatement. The way it organizes your songs is simply brilliant. Cant comment on problems coz ive only had it a day!!!

NICE! :)

Yeah, iTunes is a good program-- and congratulations. . . hopefully it will work better than mine. . .

It's really nice to see the songs evolve, for example, to hear how Vertigo sounded when it was Native Son. . .

I haven't had problems with mine. I :heart: it. Yeah, the battery life isn't that great, but it's usually not a problem for me because it charges when connected with speakers, and I also have a charger for the car.

I went to an Apple store for the first time today. It was so cool to see all the iPods. :drool:

They have the case I want. :love:

One thing you can try is to reboot it (specially when frozen): press and hold the menu and play/pause buttons at the same time for about 5-6 seconds. It'll also come back with an accurate battery life indicator.

Mine's been behaving pretty well. I just hate that I've scratched the display so much.

Mine has frozen up once and as soon as I plugged it back to my USB port, it was fine.

Its been pretty problem free and I've had no issues with battery life or the headphones.

Thanks for replying everyone. . . :)

I don't mind the battery problem THAT much, although, I do listen to music when I study (not U2 though - WAY too distracting, I think about playing my guitar and forget about work - I mostly listen to classical) but I am studying for my board licensing exams for being a doc and so, I am VERY iPod dependent right now. And the freezing, as ya'll have said, can be reset with the 2-button hold.

That's not the big problem, though, the headphone jack is. I mean, anytime the jack rotates more than a little, it pauses, thinking the headphones have been unplugged - that's the intolerable problem for me. . .

Anyway, sorry to rant. . . what cases are good for this iPod? I have a black leather incase one right now i got at the apple store
but i am not that happy with it. Thinking about this one:

http://www.agent18.com/index.cfm?ac..._product=2847b4bb-2c49-4d38-ae33-427c58ade7a9

Thoughts?

Mine's been behaving pretty well. I just hate that I've scratched the display so much.

I KNOW! It scratches SO easily. . . it looked so nice when it came. If they replace mine with a new one (when i finally send it back to apple), I'll have another honeymoon with it all nice and shiny. . . :)

Headache in a Suitcase said:
only problem i've had is that it no longer charges when it's connected to the computer... i don't know why.

Mine actually gets power sucked from it when it's plugged into the computer. No lie.

Mine has froze once last week, I didnt know how to restart it at the time. I do now.

Battery power isnt bad if you listen to full albums or use shuffle. Also, make sure to turn it off when it's not in use. Dont scroll through things to pass the time while listening to music too. Etc.

u2popmofo said:
Dont scroll through things to pass the time while listening to music too. Etc.

I wish the equalizer and automatic volume adjustor thingie didn't use power up. . .

I've noticed that now mine isn't charging in the cradle either, only when i plug it onto the apple/jbl speaker thing i bought for them. Weird.

GG_The_Fly said:

That's not the big problem, though, the headphone jack is. I mean, anytime the jack rotates more than a little, it pauses, thinking the headphones have been unplugged - that's the intolerable problem for me. . .

do you have an apple store near you?
if so, just take the ipod there and show them the headphones, maybe they can just replace them for you :shrug:

I haven't had any problems with my U2Ipod.
The only thing i get sometimes...is the little "do not disconnect "sign won't go away after i'm finished updating it....but thats not unusal from what i have read..so i just reboot my computer then disconnect it.
Sorry to hear your having problems with yours...hope they get resolved :)

Battery life sucks for me also
That depends on a lot of things though, how full your iPod is (apparently)

So i brought a AA add on pack ($100 in australia!!!) Bit of a high price....but i use my iPod a lot, and will be worth it in the end.

GG_The_Fly said:
Thanks for replying everyone. . . :)

One thing you can try is the wired remote. I know, more money, but it should minimize the movement where the headphones connect to the iPod. Plus, it may be a more secure fit. I actually like the wired remote, specially when I have my iPod in my pocket at the gym. I don't have to try and feel for the wheel to change the volume or move to the next/previous track. The remote part clips easily to any clothing edge. I even use it at my desk at work; just seems easier to control when I'm already at an album or playlist that I like.

It costs about $40, but I think it's worth the convenience.

has anyone bought an extended support plan for their ipods? i got an email a couple weeks ago saying that my 'complimentary' support will end soon. the ipod support is good for 90 days from the time that you order your ipod.

my only problem with this is that many of us had to wait 2-3 weeks or more before the ipods were even ready to be shipped. wouldn't this mean they owe us about 15 days on the support service?

ABEL said:
has anyone bought an extended support plan for their ipods?

Mine was a gift from my parents and sister, and they also got me the 3 year service plan.

ABEL said:
has anyone bought an extended support plan for their ipods? i got an email a couple weeks ago saying that my 'complimentary' support will end soon. the ipod support is good for 90 days from the time that you order your ipod.

my only problem with this is that many of us had to wait 2-3 weeks or more before the ipods were even ready to be shipped. wouldn't this mean they owe us about 15 days on the support service?

Apparently, if you call 1-800-my-apple and tell them you are a student or educator, you get the extended plan at a considerable discount. I have not tried this yet though. . .

u2popmofo said:

Mine actually gets power sucked from it when it's plugged into the computer. No lie.

Mine has froze once last week, I didnt know how to restart it at the time. I do now.

Battery power isnt bad if you listen to full albums or use shuffle. Also, make sure to turn it off when it's not in use. Dont scroll through things to pass the time while listening to music too. Etc.

that's what mine's doing...

i've solved the issue though... i only plug it into the computer when moving songs onto it. i plug mine into the "iPal"

ipal_ipod-thumb.jpg

the sounds quality is fantastic.

ABEL said:
do you have an apple store near you?
if so, just take the ipod there and show them the headphones, maybe they can just replace them for you :shrug:

Unfortunately, it's the iPod itself - no matter what headphones i use, the problem reoccurs. . . thanks though! :)

GG_The_Fly said:

that actually happens every now and then to me when i'm using it through my car stereo's aux input... never had a problem with the headphones though.

Regarding scratching ... as soon as I got my iPod, I got a cover for it and I don't have a scratch on it (some minor suff on the actual click wheel, but none on the case).

I actually have the clear iSkin Evo2 case (they sell it at the apple store and I think places like Best Buy/Comp USA, etc).

Because it's clear, you can see the unique coloring of the U2 iPod. The iSkin also has a small screen protector. I highly recommend it.

ta919lla_125.jpg

Back
Top Bottom