"My Super Sweet 16" on Vh1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dulce de Leche

War Child
I cannot believe I just watched this show. Mostly though I cannot believe what I saw.

The concept is a half hour documenting some extremely rich girl's 16th birthday party her parents put on for them. A different girl each episode I presume.

I cannot believe this spoiled brat. Has anyone else seen this show? This girl at least is bossing her mom around, being so disrespectful, using the f word, and just being a BITCH! She even admits she knows she is one! Just a horrible person and it is mostly the parent's fault I think spoiling her like that!!!!

Honestly I am disgusted. This mother said at the end she spent $180K on this birthday party. Can you even imagine....for a child who you've spoiled her whole life and doesn't appreciate a goddamn thing because of it. She's obviously WORSE off b/c of it!!

:| :crazy: :shame: :tsk:

Well uh...actually it's on MTV :wink:

Yeah...it's a HORRIBLE show. One of the many reasons I hate MTV is the blatant promotion of disgusting materialism, and only pretty people can succeed. This show is one of the worst of them all :down:

oh, mtv, vh1, it's all the same to me

:wink:

I know, I was just wondering, what does this say about our society?! :banghead:

randhail said:
So I guess you guys weren't fans of the show Rich Girls? :wink:

I thought that one was funny...I remember this one time where Tommy Hilfiger was going through his daughter's clothes and she had ONE Ralph Lauren shirt and he FLIPPED out. I thought that was hilarious.q

I've seen that show, those kids are disgusting. So materialistic and downright nasty

I had a small family party for my 16th birthday, and my Mother gave me a beautiful ring that had been my grandmother's. That meant the world to me.

I don't get the need to make such a spectacle

U2democrat said:

I thought that one was funny...I remember this one time where Tommy Hilfiger was going through his daughter's clothes and she had ONE Ralph Lauren shirt and he FLIPPED out. I thought that was hilarious.q

LOL

I saw the one where one girl's dad took them out to dinner and Hilfiger's daughter gave the other a Sex & The City book and the dad went on about how they were all prostitutes on that show or something. :lol:

I was addicted to it for a short time. :reject:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I wanted to reach through the tv and smack the shit out of one of the spoiled bitches just after watching four minutes of that crap.

Sophie! That foul mouthed beast! I wanted to kill her especially when she yelled at that girl when she was handing out her invites! Her mother should be shot :|

I've never seen this show, and have no desire to. I put up with enough snotty rich kids back in Iowa, and I really don't have any desire to see more of them act in such ways on TV each week.

My 16th birthday was pretty simple, too. No big, fancy-schmancy stuff like these kids got, and I was pretty happy with how it went. And if I'd talked back to my parents the way some of you are claiming these girls are talking to theirs, I probably wouldn't be on this computer talking to you guys now :p.

Angela

Sophie! That is the girl I saw!!!! I would think anyone who interacts with her in real life or has seen her on that shoe would (rightfully so) want nothing to do with her. :|

And 180K, seriously, and I thought the average price of WEDDINGS is ridiculous (isn't it over 20K or something now?).....:huh:

I had a little party with my friend whose birthday was around the same time; we got one of those murder mystery kits and all dressed up and acted it out....:reject:

but hey it was fun :sexywink:.....and CHEAP! :up:

I knew it was only a matter of time before someone brought this show up. This from the same network that wants to take something like "Choose or Lose" seriously....

Honestly, though, the more I think about it, the more I just can't see MTV not putting this show on without the tongue being at least a little in cheek. I mean, really, do those reasonably educated people over at the network look at this show and take it seriously? I think part of the appeal of this show and part of the reason it's even on is to laugh at the subjects. I mean, I went to school with a lot of very wealthy kids and none of them even came close to this kind of thing.

(And when did 16th birthday bashes become a cool thing? I had no idea until MTV told me they were cool :shrug: )

I pray that adults will not base the people of my age group entirely on those monsters on this show (or any other crap which passes for entertainment these days). Let's just hope that these teen's will grow up to be well adjusted adults, and if they don't, they should be prevented from breeding.

As for my 16th birthday, my mum gave me $50 as a present, and for my party I took a bunch of friends to see Lords of the Rings: The Two Towers. Nothing beats a good geek party :lol:.

Last edited:
Re: Re: "My Super Sweet 16" on Vh1

kellyahern said:
That's 6.5 years of my salary :yikes:.
PRE tax!!! :faint:

These are the same little shit-weasels that will grow up to be on "Bridezillas". :yes: I am ashamed to admit that my remote always stops on Lifetime whenever this show is on. :reject:

It's like a bug zapper to me & I'm a moth.... I want to look away, but I can't. It's..... so...... beautiful! :lol:

Re: Re: Re: "My Super Sweet 16" on Vh1

BluRmGrl said:

PRE tax!!! :faint:

These are the same little shit-weasels that will grow up to be on "Bridezillas". :yes: I am ashamed to admit that my remote always stops on Lifetime whenever this show is on. :reject:

At least the Bridezillas are talking about at wedding, something that our culture has made into a THE day of our life. Something most people, of all economic backgrounds, expect to have if they so desire. (Though I believe we put too big an emphasis on weddings but that's another topic).

You're absolutely right about the cultural pressure/expectations for a wedding. My point, though, was that the women who show up on Bridezilla didn't just morph into whacked out uber-bitches when an engagement ring was put on their fingers. :no:
These monsters were bred at home by mommies & daddies who give and give and give, not out of love, but out of competition with THEIR peers. The old "look-what-I-can-afford-to-do-for-my-kids" competition.

It's always about more, more, more.... :tsk:

BluRmGrl said:
You're absolutely right about the cultural pressure/expectations for a wedding. My point, though, was that the women who show up on Bridezilla didn't just morph into whacked out uber-bitches when an engagement ring was put on their fingers. :no:
These monsters were bred at home by mommies & daddies who give and give and give, not out of love, but out of competition with THEIR peers. The old "look-what-I-can-afford-to-do-for-my-kids" competition.

It's always about more, more, more.... :tsk:

I could agree with that. And I am utterly thankful that my parents never got caught up in that "keeping up with the Jones" trap. If we couldn't afford something, we couldn't afford it, plain and simple. I understood this, life went on.

And I hope, if I ever get to be like these parents you're referring to, somebody slaps some sense into me :p.

Angela

ok

i'll admit i watched two 1/2 hours episodes

last night

1. palm beach, moulin rouge

that mother created a frankenstein monster.

2. fremont 18 year-old triplets

hey, these girls were cute, and sweet
nothing bad about them.

U2democrat said:

in her defense though I really liked his daughter. She was really very appreciative of what her father's money could buy her. She was on a vacation with her friend saying how they didn't deserve to be on that kind of vacation. She also wanted to go to college and major in something that she could do to help poor countries. Sure she still spend hundreds of dollars at a salon each week or bought a $5000 purse but at least she wasn't a brat like a lot of the sweet 16 girls.

I watch all of these shows...Laguna Beach is my favorite. I think that's mainly because I really want to live in Southern CA so I get to :drool: for a half hour each week over the scenery. My coworker, who is 51, watches them all too with her husband! We talk every morning about them.

I can't remember my 16th birthday... my family's never been really big into birthdays (read: never been rich enough to spend much on us) and usually my mom would just let me pick out a shirt at the mall or something simple like that.

Have you guys noticed that as awful as these kids are, it's really not surprising when you look at their parents? If Sophie was my mother's daughter, she would've been slapped silly and tossed out of the house within the first 5 seconds of her bullshitting, but her mom lets her walk all over her and then spends 100K on her birthday to boot! WTF?!?!?

arw9797 said:
I watch all of these shows...Laguna Beach is my favorite.

I watch Laguna Beach religiously. It's one of those shows that makes me feel better about myself because, hey, I'm not perfect, but I do have SOME sense of maturity, responsibility, purpose, and direction in my life. There's a girl Heidi at my school from Laguna Beach and yes, she's EXACTLY like the chicks on that show. She was on our trip to Tanzania so I spent a month listening to her going on and on about how they had a house on the beach with 12 TV's and custom made swim suits were a steal at $120 a piece. One day we were at this museum at Oldupaai Gorge reading about Lucy (the famous homonid) and Heidi, smacking on her gum and bursting out of a totally inappropriate tank top, says in this annoying little California accent "hmmmm, I wonder if you're a Christian...and you're studying this evolution....how do you reconcile the two?" and you could tell she felt soooo special for using such big words. I rolled my eyes and muttered to Ellen, "I wonder...if you're Heidi, and then there's reality.....how do you reconcile the two?" :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom