"My Super Sweet 16" on Vh1 - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2005, 10:14 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 11:02 AM
I knew it was only a matter of time before someone brought this show up. This from the same network that wants to take something like "Choose or Lose" seriously....

Honestly, though, the more I think about it, the more I just can't see MTV not putting this show on without the tongue being at least a little in cheek. I mean, really, do those reasonably educated people over at the network look at this show and take it seriously? I think part of the appeal of this show and part of the reason it's even on is to laugh at the subjects. I mean, I went to school with a lot of very wealthy kids and none of them even came close to this kind of thing.

(And when did 16th birthday bashes become a cool thing? I had no idea until MTV told me they were cool )

Old 08-26-2005, 01:27 AM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 10:02 AM
One of the reasons I hate San Diego.
That show is scary.

Old 08-26-2005, 06:47 AM   #18
The Fly

Local Time: 06:02 PM
I pray that adults will not base the people of my age group entirely on those monsters on this show (or any other crap which passes for entertainment these days). Let's just hope that these teen's will grow up to be well adjusted adults, and if they don't, they should be prevented from breeding.

As for my 16th birthday, my mum gave me $50 as a present, and for my party I took a bunch of friends to see Lords of the Rings: The Two Towers. Nothing beats a good geek party .
Old 08-26-2005, 07:44 AM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Local Time: 02:02 PM
Re: "My Super Sweet 16" on Vh1

Quote:
Originally posted by Dulce de Leche

Honestly I am disgusted. This mother said at the end she spent $180K on this birthday party. Can you even imagine....for a child
That's 6.5 years of my salary .
Old 08-26-2005, 07:56 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Re: Re: "My Super Sweet 16" on Vh1

Quote:
Originally posted by kellyahern
That's 6.5 years of my salary .
PRE tax!!!

These are the same little shit-weasels that will grow up to be on "Bridezillas". I am ashamed to admit that my remote always stops on Lifetime whenever this show is on.

It's like a bug zapper to me & I'm a moth.... I want to look away, but I can't. It's..... so...... beautiful!
Old 08-26-2005, 08:18 PM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 11:02 AM
Re: Re: Re: "My Super Sweet 16" on Vh1

Quote:
Originally posted by BluRmGrl

PRE tax!!!

These are the same little shit-weasels that will grow up to be on "Bridezillas". I am ashamed to admit that my remote always stops on Lifetime whenever this show is on.
At least the Bridezillas are talking about at wedding, something that our culture has made into a THE day of our life. Something most people, of all economic backgrounds, expect to have if they so desire. (Though I believe we put too big an emphasis on weddings but that's another topic).
Old 08-26-2005, 08:59 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

You're absolutely right about the cultural pressure/expectations for a wedding. My point, though, was that the women who show up on Bridezilla didn't just morph into whacked out uber-bitches when an engagement ring was put on their fingers.
These monsters were bred at home by mommies & daddies who give and give and give, not out of love, but out of competition with THEIR peers. The old "look-what-I-can-afford-to-do-for-my-kids" competition.

It's always about more, more, more....
Old 08-26-2005, 09:00 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:02 PM
That show is a train wreck, you just can't look away. My sister and I watch it.

As for Rich Girls, I loved that show. Those 2 girls were not nasty bitches.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:06 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BluRmGrl
You're absolutely right about the cultural pressure/expectations for a wedding. My point, though, was that the women who show up on Bridezilla didn't just morph into whacked out uber-bitches when an engagement ring was put on their fingers.
These monsters were bred at home by mommies & daddies who give and give and give, not out of love, but out of competition with THEIR peers. The old "look-what-I-can-afford-to-do-for-my-kids" competition.

It's always about more, more, more....
I could agree with that. And I am utterly thankful that my parents never got caught up in that "keeping up with the Jones" trap. If we couldn't afford something, we couldn't afford it, plain and simple. I understood this, life went on.

And I hope, if I ever get to be like these parents you're referring to, somebody slaps some sense into me .

Angela
Old 08-27-2005, 07:25 PM   #25
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:02 PM
Sitting through one episode was more than enough to last me a lifetime
Old 08-28-2005, 10:00 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:02 AM
ok

i'll admit i watched two 1/2 hours episodes

last night

1. palm beach, moulin rouge

that mother created a frankenstein monster.

2. fremont 18 year-old triplets

hey, these girls were cute, and sweet
nothing bad about them.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:23 AM   #27
arw
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat

I thought that one was funny...I remember this one time where Tommy Hilfiger was going through his daughter's clothes and she had ONE Ralph Lauren shirt and he FLIPPED out. I thought that was hilarious.q

in her defense though I really liked his daughter. She was really very appreciative of what her father's money could buy her. She was on a vacation with her friend saying how they didn't deserve to be on that kind of vacation. She also wanted to go to college and major in something that she could do to help poor countries. Sure she still spend hundreds of dollars at a salon each week or bought a $5000 purse but at least she wasn't a brat like a lot of the sweet 16 girls.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:26 AM   #28
arw
Blue Crack Addict

I watch all of these shows...Laguna Beach is my favorite. I think that's mainly because I really want to live in Southern CA so I get to for a half hour each week over the scenery. My coworker, who is 51, watches them all too with her husband! We talk every morning about them.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:55 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

I can't remember my 16th birthday... my family's never been really big into birthdays (read: never been rich enough to spend much on us) and usually my mom would just let me pick out a shirt at the mall or something simple like that.

Have you guys noticed that as awful as these kids are, it's really not surprising when you look at their parents? If Sophie was my mother's daughter, she would've been slapped silly and tossed out of the house within the first 5 seconds of her bullshitting, but her mom lets her walk all over her and then spends 100K on her birthday to boot! WTF?!?!?
Old 08-28-2005, 07:01 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by arw9797
I watch all of these shows...Laguna Beach is my favorite.
I watch Laguna Beach religiously. It's one of those shows that makes me feel better about myself because, hey, I'm not perfect, but I do have SOME sense of maturity, responsibility, purpose, and direction in my life. There's a girl Heidi at my school from Laguna Beach and yes, she's EXACTLY like the chicks on that show. She was on our trip to Tanzania so I spent a month listening to her going on and on about how they had a house on the beach with 12 TV's and custom made swim suits were a steal at $120 a piece. One day we were at this museum at Oldupaai Gorge reading about Lucy (the famous homonid) and Heidi, smacking on her gum and bursting out of a totally inappropriate tank top, says in this annoying little California accent "hmmmm, I wonder if you're a Christian...and you're studying this evolution....how do you reconcile the two?" and you could tell she felt soooo special for using such big words. I rolled my eyes and muttered to Ellen, "I wonder...if you're Heidi, and then there's reality.....how do you reconcile the two?"