my pc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kobayashi

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
i have a compaq. it's comin' up on two years old but i've never really been happy with it.
it has a 500 mhz celeron processor, 192 mb ram and is running win98.
for the past year i have had to reformat the hard drive every 2-3 months. this is neccessary because the pc simply starts to bonkers. files are corrupted. drivers disappear.
i burn a disc(s) with my burner(assuming the driver hasn't disappeared), pop in the compaq format disc and start again.
as you can imagine i eventually got really sick of this process and for the past week have been trying to do a clean install of win98. no compaq involvement. windows installs itself fine. but the guts of the computer seem to be proprietary to the compaq version of win98.
doing the clean install does not load the ethernet driver, pci driver, sound, the monitor is stuck in vga it seems. it's ridiculous. so i go back on the net, find every possible driver i can for this model and load that onto the computer. some of them worked. the pci and ethernet driver seems to specifically require one file from the compaq disc as well as something called the 'win98 modem installation disc'?

is it possible for me to just have windows?
any help is appreciated, thank you for your time
wink.gif

Try windows 2000 or XP...it may have the drivers available on the disc. That way you don't have to go looking. But if you a couple dollars, just replace the components that are giving you problems.

test

------------------
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery none but ourselves can free our minds." -REDEMPTION SONG/Bob Marley

Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel:
Damn. Mine's three (*gasps*) and it's not that bad.
frown.gif

That really sucks, kobeson. Hope it turns out ok.

Is yours a Compaq?

------------------
When life hands you a lemon, say "Oh yeah, I like lemons. What else you got?" --Henry Rollins

*BC has a Gateway that is almost 5 years old*
eek.gif

Originally posted by Bonochick & drgnwolf:
eek.gif

Same for me, and it has been giving me all sorts of trouble the past few weeks!
mad.gif

Originally posted by daafish:
Try windows 2000 or XP...it may have the drivers available on the disc. That way you don't have to go looking. But if you a couple dollars, just replace the components that are giving you problems.

hmmm, is 2000 that much better than 98? my understanding is a computer with the bare requirements for xp, such as mine, would not benefit from running it. has anyone else tried this?

Your computer has the essentials to run 2000. It's hell of lot more stable than 98. I've had my laptop (which is running 2000) for a year now. Never had BSOD and only to restart once. I would give it go.

------------------
"Talent without discipline, is wasted."

Originally posted by Bonochick & drgnwolf:
eek.gif

Me too.
mad.gif
I have a horrible 28.8 modem and the stupid computer is giving me so many troubles lately: refusing to load Photoshop when I have AOL open, giving me errors when I try to save images occasionally.. etc. It makes me so pissed off, and no one in my family will pay someone to fix the computer.

------------------
"I dance much better horizontally than vertically." - Bono

Popheart.org

[This message has been edited by elevatedmole (edited 05-20-2002).]

Originally posted by daafish:
Your computer has the essentials to run 2000. It's hell of lot more stable than 98. I've had my laptop (which is running 2000) for a year now. Never had BSOD and only to restart once. I would give it go.

oh its going
smile.gif

thanks for the help
wink.gif

Yeah he's right actually.. win2k kicks major ass.. I almost never have to reboot.

No illegal operations, no errors..
icon14.gif

Win 2000 or win xp, either one is better than 98. I would lean towards xp, only because it performs better in terms of gaming, media play etc. I also have found xp to be more stable than 2000, I leave my PC on 24 hours a day and I reboot once every two to three weeks. also, instead of buying a whole new PC, just get a new motherboard ($100 for a Tyan brand), CPU ($100 for a P3 1000ghz/$100 AMD K7 1200 ghz), and another 128 RAM ($50-75). for about $275 you can practicly have a brand new PC.

------------------
Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Zooropa FTP

MSN Messenger: zooropa16@hotmail.com

Back
Top Bottom