My next musical discovery: Muse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Fan101

Refugee
For the past few years I only owned and heard of one Muse song - Falling Away With You.

I thought it was fantastic. Recently I was hanging out with a friend playing his music library on shuffle and "Map of the Problematique" came on. This song just blew my mind but I thought there were some similarities to a song I heard from the 80's but couldn't put my finger on it. After some research I discovered it was that Depeche Mode song (which is another great band I am beginning to discover).

But anyway, I bought Black Holes and Revelations and have immediately loved this album, even with any similarities to other bands/songs (Queen, Audioslave: Exo-Politics really reminds me of Like a Stone).

Muse is brilliant. Discovering new bands is great, especially when it's a brilliant band.

Curious as to what people think of Muse and Black Holes and Revelations. I'm sure there's a thread on the band/album already, but I figure another thread on this brilliant band isn't a bad thing. :drool:

There is, but it's probably getting close to the point where it'll be closed anyway because it's reached a certain amount of pages or something, so always nice to have a backup :up:.

Looooooove "Falling Away With You". Hell, I just love the entire Absolution album in general :drool: :heart:.

As for Black Holes and Revelations, I personally like it. I'm not that keen on "Assassin"...kinda slows the middle of the album down a bit...but everything else is good stuff. I love the fact that they brought in things like spaghetti western music, a bit of '80s new wave, and even some '50s/'60s harmonies/music-makes it that much more interesting. I've also wondered if they haven't been listening to a bit of Danny Elfman or people similar to him, 'cause "Hoodoo" really sounds like something I could hear Elfman do. Interesting comparison with "Exo-Politics" there, too, I never thought of that. Hm.

And I don't know if it was intentional on the band's part or not, but I like that the whole album sort of seems to be a sci-fi/war movie in CD form. You've got "Take A Bow", which is the political "Yeah, let's fight the government!" thing, "Starlight" is the love song for the main male & female characters, "Invincible" is the "we'll make it through this" empowerment song for the good guys, "Knights Of Cydonia" is the climactic ending battle scene...and so on and so forth. Looking at the album in that way makes me enjoy it all the more. It's also good to listen to when you're sitting out on your deck late at night in the summertime, with the stars out and everything (one night there were shooting stars-fit PERFECTLY).

Yeah. Fantastic band, absolutely love them. Definitely one of the best band discoveries I made this year :up:. And they kick ass live as well-if you haven't seen them yet, I highly suggest you do so whenever they come your way down the line.

Angela

what can I say about this amazing band.... I have just fallen head over heels for them. I too, just discovered them this year and thought wtf took me so long to discover these guys.. Better late than never I guess.
As angela said you HAVE TO CATCH THEM LIVE... what can I say just mindblowing. Matt is a guitar genius to watch him play ...just wowie wow... :ohmy: :drool:
As soon as I discovered them I went crazy and downloaded all their albums and a ton of live bootlegs.. I wasn't disappointed. :D

As far as studio albums this is what I recommend in this order:

1. Black Holes and Revelations
2. Absolution
3. Origin of Symmetry
4. Showbiz
5. Hullabaloo Soundtrack

here are some pics I took from the show I saw back in August.

DSCF1616.jpg

DSCF1620.jpg

DSCF1627.jpg

DSCF1628.jpg

DSCF1640.jpg

DSCF1635.jpg

DSCF1643.jpg

U2Fanatic4ever said:
As angela said you HAVE TO CATCH THEM LIVE... what can I say just mindblowing. Matt is a guitar genius to watch him play ...just wowie wow... :ohmy: :drool:
As soon as I discovered them I went crazy and downloaded all their albums and a ton of live bootlegs.. I wasn't disappointed. :D

LOL, I went on a YouTube watching spree after I got into 'em (though I've recently started collecting live bootlegs and that, too). Was watching this the other night...exhibit A showcasing Muse's live prowess-"Stockholm Syndrome" from Glastonbury 2004:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFdncDjK0mw

Pardon my language, but seriously... Holy. Shit.

Originally postd by U2Fanatic4ever
DSCF1640.jpg

Matt & a piano...ahhhh :love:.

Nice megaphone shot there, too-"Feeling Good" is sooooooooo fantastic live. All those pictures are awesome, you did a great job of capturing them in their element there. I should go through and share a few from the show I was at.

And now that you have BH&R, U2Fan101, I agree with the order of the remaining albums U2Fanatic listed there.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:

As for Black Holes and Revelations, I personally like it. I'm not that keen on "Assassin"...kinda slows the middle of the album down a bit...but everything else is good stuff.

There is nothing slow about Assassin
if anything Exo Politics slows things down :scratch:

:wink:

Moonlit_Angel said:

LOL, I went on a YouTube watching spree after I got into 'em (though I've recently started collecting live bootlegs and that, too). Was watching this the other night...exhibit A showcasing Muse's live prowess-"Stockholm Syndrome" from Glastonbury 2004:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFdncDjK0mw

Pardon my language, but seriously... Holy. Shit.

Matt & a piano...ahhhh :love:.

Nice megaphone shot there, too-"Feeling Good" is sooooooooo fantastic live. All those pictures are awesome, you did a great job of capturing them in their element there. I should go through and share a few from the show I was at.

And now that you have BH&R, U2Fan101, I agree with the order of the remaining albums U2Fanatic listed there.

Angela

Post ur pics Angela! We would love to see them. :D

I have the Glastonbury 2004 aka Absolution DVD but it's in PAL format so I can only watch on my puter... I am still trying to see how I can convert it to NTSC.

:heart: What I love is the shuffle dance Matt does during Time is Running out from Glastonbury. here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c8v46RdoE8

:giggle:

Last edited:
Wooooooooo :rockon:! Headbanging commenced, Chris-style-that rocked. I love watching them all throw so much personality into their playing-Dom pounding away at the drums, Chris rocking out and doing the cool bass player thing, Matt strutting about and commanding the stage (those moves halfway through...on his knees...uh...yeah :shifty:...). That shuffle dance is so cute, too.

Hope you figure out how to convert that DVD. I asked for the Absolution tour DVD for Christmas, here's hoping...

xaviMF22 said:
There is nothing slow about Assassin
if anything Exo Politics slows things down

You're right, the song isn't slow at all...I think what I meant to say is that the album hits a snag at that part or the flow's sort of disrupted or something like that. I don't think "slow" was the right word, I think I meant "snag" :p.

I like "Exo-Politics"-that spooky, whistling, "X-Files" sound in the background is cool. And the beat is so funky :dance:.

U2Fanatic4ever said:
Post ur pics Angela! We would love to see them. :D

Will do! No closeups of the guys, unfortunately, as we were too far back, and they aren't the best of quality, but there's still some decent shots in there. Their music fit Red Rocks so perfectly (they should've done an homage to U2! LOL):

Dark, but I love the stage lighting in this one:
Muse7.jpg

Better view of the band members in these:
Muse12.jpg

Muse23.jpg

Muse28.jpg

And none of these are mine, as I didn't get any video footage, but a few video clips from others at the show:
Sing For Absolution:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU04XhmN2kw
(You have nooooooooooo idea how happy I was to hear this one. If I couldn't hear "Blackout" (favorite Muse song), hearing my second favorite Muse song was definitely the next best thing-this just made my night)

Time Is Running Out (I apologize to anyone in the area who had to dodge my hands and arms flailing all over the place during this one):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39JUwvTT5kc
as well as the Zeppelin bit beforehand (I so want to hear them cover "Whole Lotta Love" now...):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thPyAFFKvkU

and Stockholm Syndrome once again-the audio in this is crappy as hell, but it's good visually because of what happens after the song proper. So you can always mute it to ignore the bad sound quality :p:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IasiW4fAJTc

Angela

Last edited:
Moonlit_Angel said:
Wooooooooo :rockon:! Headbanging commenced, Chris-style-that rocked. I love watching them all throw so much personality into their playing-Dom pounding away at the drums, Chris rocking out and doing the cool bass player thing, Matt strutting about and commanding the stage (those moves halfway through...on his knees...uh...yeah :shifty:...). That shuffle dance is so cute, too.

Hope you figure out how to convert that DVD. I asked for the Absolution tour DVD for Christmas, here's hoping...

You're right, the song isn't slow at all...I think what I meant to say is that the album hits a snag at that part or the flow's sort of disrupted or something like that. I don't think "slow" was the right word, I think I meant "snag" :p.

I like "Exo-Politics"-that spooky, whistling, "X-Files" sound in the background is cool. And the beat is so funky :dance:.

Will do! No closeups of the guys, unfortunately, as we were too far back, and they aren't the best of quality, but there's still some decent shots in there. Their music fit Red Rocks so perfectly (they should've done an homage to U2! LOL):

Dark, but I love the stage lighting in this one:
Muse7.jpg

Better view of the band members in these:
Muse12.jpg

Muse23.jpg

Muse28.jpg

And none of these are mine, as I didn't get any video footage, but a few video clips from others at the show:
Sing For Absolution:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU04XhmN2kw
(You have nooooooooooo idea how happy I was to hear this one. If I couldn't hear "Blackout" (favorite Muse song), hearing my second favorite Muse song was definitely the next best thing-this just made my night)

Time Is Running Out (I apologize to anyone in the area who had to dodge my hands and arms flailing all over the place during this one):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39JUwvTT5kc
as well as the Zeppelin bit beforehand (I so want to hear them cover "Whole Lotta Love" now...):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thPyAFFKvkU

and Stockholm Syndrome once again-the audio in this is crappy as hell, but it's good visually because of what happens after the song proper. So you can always mute it to ignore the bad sound quality :p:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IasiW4fAJTc

Angela

Thanks for the pix! :cool:

The Absolution DVD is not available in the US anymore. You can get it on ebay but it is going to be in PAL (europe's format). Unless you have a dvd player that plays PAL. Or can convert it to NTSC... which I am still trying to figure out..

xaviMF22 said:
thats nothing wanna see some Chris headbanging??:wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4BaB7NBLtA

:lmao:...I'm telling ya, one of these days, that boy's head's gonna pop off and go flying off into a crowd somewhere...

He's got almost his entire body moving here! That's great :D *:hug: Chris*.

xaviMF22 said:
Chris would headbang to unintended if he could :lmao:

*Nods* There's probably video somewhere of him doing just that :p.

Angela

Last edited:
U2Fanatic4ever said:
Thanks for the pix! :cool:

You're welcome :)!

U2Fanatic4ever said:
The Absolution DVD is not available in the US anymore. You can get it on ebay but it is going to be in PAL (europe's format). Unless you have a dvd player that plays PAL. Or can convert it to NTSC... which I am still trying to figure out..

Had a feeling we'd have to get it online, but it's a bummer it's not sold in the U.S. anymore (why not? We deserve to enjoy the Muse goodness, too *Stomps foot*!). Thanks for the info-I don't believe the DVD player we have now does either of those things. It might play on my computer, though-I could live with that until we got an actual DVD player that allowed for both formats.

Different DVD formats suck. Hmph.

Angela

I've heard "Invincible" on my Launchcast. It was pretty good, and I downloaded it from iTunes. Hopefully, there would be more from this band.

Pearl said:
I've heard "Invincible" on my Launchcast. It was pretty good, and I downloaded it from iTunes. Hopefully, there would be more from this band.

Scroll up on this page..... there's a lot to hear from Muse.. I posted the albums up there..and just go to youtube and discover for yourself. :D

trust me, you will be converted.. But seeing them live is the end all be all.. So go catch them next tour! :drool:

Ooooh. They use a real grand piano on stage, and a Kawai to boot! As a classical musician that makes me very happy.

Moonlit_Angel said:

And I don't know if it was intentional on the band's part or not, but I like that the whole album sort of seems to be a sci-fi/war movie in CD form. You've got "Take A Bow", which is the political "Yeah, let's fight the government!" thing, "Starlight" is the love song for the main male & female characters, "Invincible" is the "we'll make it through this" empowerment song for the good guys, "Knights Of Cydonia" is the climactic ending battle scene...and so on and so forth. Looking at the album in that way makes me enjoy it all the more.

Angela

I like your thoughts as it being a sci-fi/war movie. I can completely see that and it really completes the album for me. Great thoughts!

U2Fan101 said:
Ooooh. They use a real grand piano on stage, and a Kawai to boot! As a classical musician that makes me very happy.

Matt's very influenced by classical music. It shows in quite a few of their songs.

I love it whenever piano is a prominent part of their songs (one big reason why I love Absolution so much, and why I get the feeling you'll probably enjoy it, too). I've always liked that instrument, and they're excellent at incorporating that into their music.

U2Fan101 said:
I like your thoughts as it being a sci-fi/war movie. I can completely see that and it really completes the album for me. Great thoughts!

Thanks :)! Glad you agree with me on that. I look forward to hearing more of your thoughts on these guys the further into them you get.

Ditto everything U2Fanatic said as well.

Angela

Last edited:
Wow, I used to be crazy about Muse and listened to all their albums constantly, but not so much in recent months, for no particular reason, though. I have never seen them live but would love to.

seeing them live changes everything! Seriously, they have to be THE BEST LIVE BAND right next to U2... ! And I don't say that without lightly. I have been to many a concert in my day over the last 20+ years and I still feel this way. IMO

last unicorn, go see them next time around! trust me you won't be disappointed..:D

And I don't know if you saw the webcast they did last nite but I am sure either at&t will rebroadcast it or will show up on youtube (probably already there) Bono_man mentioned that the torrent is already up...

If I find some links to it I will post it here.:wink:

Last edited:
I'm another who is only a recent Muse convert - saw them at this years Big Day Out, and (even from a very long way away!!!) was blown away!!!! I've spent the year accumulating everything I possibly could, and a few weeks ago was lucky enough to see them live again - and WHAT A SHOW!!!!!! I would put it as No3 on my all time favourite concerts list (if I had such a list:wink: ) But seriously, it was just awesome :love::love:

I posted these in the other Muse thread, but for anyone who might have missed it:

A couple of (kinda dodgy) videos I took at the show:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=mH5LAyzvFxA
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=CvDkR2lLSqc

And some of my photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/acrobat73/sets/72157603203785765/

Now I'm just patiently waiting for the Wembley DVD - can't wait!!!

I'm looking forward to that DVD, too, I hope they release it as soon as possible. Based on what I've heard about it, I'm very curious to see that show.

I still say that clip of "Starlight" you shared there sounds so pretty. I love that.

intedomine said:
Stuff Muse, Travis are twenty times more absorbing

I only know a few Travis songs, and I think I've only seen one live thing of theirs, but still, I dunno, I personally like both bands :shrug:.

last unicorn said:
Wow, I used to be crazy about Muse and listened to all their albums constantly, but not so much in recent months, for no particular reason, though. I have never seen them live but would love to.

Maybe you're just needing a break? That happens to me sometimes with my favorite bands, I listen to them a bunch, then I take a bit of a break, then I come back to listening to them again. U2Fanatic4ever is (once again) right, if you ever get a chance someday to see them live, do it. You won't regret it. Muse is only the second in the list of my favorite bands I've seen live, but out of all the concerts I've seen over the years, yeah, they're easily one of my top live experiences.

Saw in the thread for that XMas show that the Muse one is up for downloading now, will get on that (thanks to last night I'm on a serious live Muse kick right now), thanks for sharing the link there :up:.

Angela

intedomine said:
Stuff Muse, Travis are twenty times more absorbing

Really?

I like Travis and all, they're very pleasant. Nice melodies.

But really???

Not to even mention the fact that they're such apples and oranges. Why would you even compare?

It's like saying: "Stuff Mozart, Metallica are twenty times more absorbing."

corianderstem said:
Not to even mention the fact that they're such apples and oranges. Why would you even compare?

It's like saying: "Stuff Mozart, Metallica are twenty times more absorbing."

Good point :up:.

In other topics completely unrelated to band comparisons, I meant to say this when talking about the Muse webcast last night: That pretty, red, sparkly guitar Matt used at one point during the show looked really cool, and I want one :yes:.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom