My next musical discovery: Muse - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2007, 02:05 AM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Queen Bee

That is quite brilliant and a fair call too....i'm pissing myself....

Old 12-11-2007, 02:16 AM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem

Really?

I like Travis and all, they're very pleasant. Nice melodies.

But really???

Not to even mention the fact that they're such apples and oranges. Why would you even compare?

It's like saying: "Stuff Mozart, Metallica are twenty times more absorbing."
I've tried listening to Muse, origin of symmetry and all that, and I just find it all a little too frustrating.....

The lyrics just seems so heard-it-all-before and meaningless and lacking in earnest, they don't seem to compliment the songs musically, which occasionally excite me, but more often than not underwhelm me......

Travis on the other hand are not glam or fancy and are straight to the point. Franny's vocal sigh (Pipe Dreams, The Fear, 3 Times and You Lose) seems so much more sincere than the Muse bloke's post-Thom wail.

Starlight's a cracker of a tune, but it's just a delightful peice of pop music rather than anything to take seriously.....I would find Muse songs more redeeming if they were at least a wee bit catchy, but they seem to go in one ear and straight out the other, which I suppose leads me to find Muse very overhyped, just on a personal level

Old 12-11-2007, 03:21 AM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 06:56 PM
I think a big part of that may have to do with the type of music each band does. With the kind of music Muse makes, I don't think it's really meant to be all that straightforward and blatantly catchy (though they have their catchy moments). Not to mention, the kinds of topics Matt often chooses to write about don't make it any less complicated or weird . With bands like Travis, who make more pop-oriented music, it makes sense to be catchy and straightforward, as that's the nature of that sort of music.

As for sincerity, eh, that's a subjective thing. I think they sound as sincere as anyone else, but that's just me.

All that being said, 'tis your opinion. Some bands just don't grab you as much as other ones, and that's cool . If Muse does happen to warm to you eventually (hey, it took me a few listens to appreciate some of the band's stuff when I first started getting into them-that's happened with quite a few of the bands I now consider my favorites), great, but if not, eh, to each their own.

Angela
Old 12-11-2007, 03:29 AM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel
That pretty, red, sparkly guitar Matt used at one point during the show looked really cool, and I want one .
That would be the infamous Glitterati Manson.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:00 AM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
That's right, that's what it's called! Thank you .

Ooh. Preeeeeeetty...*Makes grabbing motion with hands*

Angela
Old 12-11-2007, 04:46 PM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:56 PM
Who the fuck listens to the lyrics in Muse songs, besides the choruses?
Old 12-11-2007, 05:00 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

I do. Namely because I just like learning the lyrics to my favorite bands' songs so I'm not sounding like an idiot when I'm singing them along with others at a show or something, but also 'cause I like reading what all they have to say, weird or nonsensical as it may be sometimes .

But you're right, I'm betting many listen to these guys for the music more than anything else. That's the main attraction for bands of their kind.

Angela
Old 12-11-2007, 05:14 PM   #38
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine
I've tried listening to Muse, origin of symmetry and all that, and I just find it all a little too frustrating.....
I totally understand all that you've said, and hey - one person's favorite band is another person's "Ugh, turn that shit off!!"

It was just such a random comparison.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:49 PM   #39
War Child

I just discovered this band in the last 2 years as well. While I was not totally drawn to them right away, the past few months have cemented them as one of my favorite bands (especially after seeing them at Red Rocks).

I have totally enjoyed the Glastonbury DVD and have to over Matt's ability to play the guitar (and I mean really play) while singing. The best example being during the second verse of Time is Running Out where he goes through a sequence of strum, slide, and pick at the nut...THE FREAKIN' NUT...all the while singing. That is genius!

Anyway, this band seems overlooked for its talent. I can't wait for the DVD coming out and future albums.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:18 PM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160

I do....
Old 12-11-2007, 09:19 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

LOL, maybe you and I are just weird in that regard, then, U2Fanatic .

Quote:
Originally posted by ADecentMelody
I just discovered this band in the last 2 years as well. While I was not totally drawn to them right away, the past few months have cemented them as one of my favorite bands (especially after seeing them at Red Rocks).
Ooh, cool, you were there, too, eh ?

I find it really funny the way I stumbled across this band-I heard another band cover one of their songs, and it's odd because the aforementioned band sounds absolutely NOTHING like Muse whatsoever (the band I'm referring to being the Feeling, by the way).

Yeah, Muse is the kind of band that takes a few listens to fully absorb some of their stuff, but once you're hooked, well....

Quote:
I have totally enjoyed the Glastonbury DVD and have to over Matt's ability to play the guitar (and I mean really play) while singing. The best example being during the second verse of Time is Running Out where he goes through a sequence of strum, slide, and pick at the nut...THE FREAKIN' NUT...all the while singing. That is genius!
I haven't noticed the guitar stuff you're referring to, will check that out closer next time I'm watching that performance. But I fully agree with you-all that you mentioned, combined with the fact that he can go back and forth between guitar and piano like it's nothing and sing all the while without missing a beat...it's pretty amazing.

Quote:
Anyway, this band seems overlooked for its talent. I can't wait for the DVD coming out and future albums.
Hear, hear! And thankfully they're getting more attention now. If they continue to play their cards right, who knows how big they could be. Like I said in the other thread, it's pretty exciting watching their popularity rise.

Angela
Old 12-11-2007, 11:46 PM   #42
ONE
love, blood, life

All I know is that synth apreggios > Radiohead > Travis. otay?
Old 12-12-2007, 12:02 AM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160
I love to listen to Matt's awful, awful lyrics

Zetas in the skies
Old 12-12-2007, 12:04 AM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

or Matt's unintended Choice to live his life extended
Old 12-12-2007, 02:08 AM   #45
Refugee

This was a cool video I found that someone made for the movie Equilibrium with "Take a Bow"

Good video.

Thought I'd share.