My next musical discovery: Muse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Queen Bee said:

loltraviscomfortpy7.jpg

That is quite brilliant and a fair call too....i'm pissing myself....:wink:

corianderstem said:

Really?

I like Travis and all, they're very pleasant. Nice melodies.

But really???

Not to even mention the fact that they're such apples and oranges. Why would you even compare?

It's like saying: "Stuff Mozart, Metallica are twenty times more absorbing."

I've tried listening to Muse, origin of symmetry and all that, and I just find it all a little too frustrating.....

The lyrics just seems so heard-it-all-before and meaningless and lacking in earnest, they don't seem to compliment the songs musically, which occasionally excite me, but more often than not underwhelm me......

Travis on the other hand are not glam or fancy and are straight to the point. Franny's vocal sigh (Pipe Dreams, The Fear, 3 Times and You Lose) seems so much more sincere than the Muse bloke's post-Thom wail.

Starlight's a cracker of a tune, but it's just a delightful peice of pop music rather than anything to take seriously.....I would find Muse songs more redeeming if they were at least a wee bit catchy, but they seem to go in one ear and straight out the other, which I suppose leads me to find Muse very overhyped, just on a personal level

Last edited:
I think a big part of that may have to do with the type of music each band does. With the kind of music Muse makes, I don't think it's really meant to be all that straightforward and blatantly catchy (though they have their catchy moments). Not to mention, the kinds of topics Matt often chooses to write about don't make it any less complicated or weird :wink:. With bands like Travis, who make more pop-oriented music, it makes sense to be catchy and straightforward, as that's the nature of that sort of music.

As for sincerity, eh, that's a subjective thing. I think they sound as sincere as anyone else, but that's just me.

All that being said, 'tis your opinion. Some bands just don't grab you as much as other ones, and that's cool :). If Muse does happen to warm to you eventually (hey, it took me a few listens to appreciate some of the band's stuff when I first started getting into them-that's happened with quite a few of the bands I now consider my favorites), great, but if not, eh, to each their own.

Angela

I do. Namely because I just like learning the lyrics to my favorite bands' songs so I'm not sounding like an idiot when I'm singing them along with others at a show or something, but also 'cause I like reading what all they have to say, weird or nonsensical as it may be sometimes :p.

But you're right, I'm betting many listen to these guys for the music more than anything else. That's the main attraction for bands of their kind.

Angela

intedomine said:
I've tried listening to Muse, origin of symmetry and all that, and I just find it all a little too frustrating.....

I totally understand all that you've said, and hey - one person's favorite band is another person's "Ugh, turn that shit off!!" :wink:

It was just such a random comparison.

I just discovered this band in the last 2 years as well. While I was not totally drawn to them right away, the past few months have cemented them as one of my favorite bands (especially after seeing them at Red Rocks).

I have totally enjoyed the Glastonbury DVD and have to :drool: over Matt's ability to play the guitar (and I mean really play) while singing. The best example being during the second verse of Time is Running Out where he goes through a sequence of strum, slide, and pick at the nut...THE FREAKIN' NUT...all the while singing. That is genius!

Anyway, this band seems overlooked for its talent. I can't wait for the DVD coming out and future albums.

LOL, maybe you and I are just weird in that regard, then, U2Fanatic :hug:.

ADecentMelody said:
I just discovered this band in the last 2 years as well. While I was not totally drawn to them right away, the past few months have cemented them as one of my favorite bands (especially after seeing them at Red Rocks).

Ooh, cool, you were there, too, eh :up:?

I find it really funny the way I stumbled across this band-I heard another band cover one of their songs, and it's odd because the aforementioned band sounds absolutely NOTHING like Muse whatsoever (the band I'm referring to being the Feeling, by the way).

Yeah, Muse is the kind of band that takes a few listens to fully absorb some of their stuff, but once you're hooked, well...:).

ADecentMelody said:
I have totally enjoyed the Glastonbury DVD and have to :drool: over Matt's ability to play the guitar (and I mean really play) while singing. The best example being during the second verse of Time is Running Out where he goes through a sequence of strum, slide, and pick at the nut...THE FREAKIN' NUT...all the while singing. That is genius!

I haven't noticed the guitar stuff you're referring to, will check that out closer next time I'm watching that performance. But I fully agree with you-all that you mentioned, combined with the fact that he can go back and forth between guitar and piano like it's nothing and sing all the while without missing a beat...it's pretty amazing.

ADecentMelody said:
Anyway, this band seems overlooked for its talent. I can't wait for the DVD coming out and future albums.

Hear, hear! And thankfully they're getting more attention now. If they continue to play their cards right, who knows how big they could be. Like I said in the other thread, it's pretty exciting watching their popularity rise.

Angela

xaviMF22 said:
or Matt's unintended Choice to live his life extended :censored:

...I like that song...

Meh. I say I've heard much worse lyrics over the years. Besides, if you look at the lyrics in the context of the album themes (like the aforementioned sci-fi/war movie thing, or the fanatical "THE END IS NEAR!" concept of Absolution), I expect them to be a bit cheesy and overdramatic and goofy. But that's just me :).

Thanks for sharing that video, U2Fan101-I particularly loved the footage they used for the final part of the song. That worked perfectly. Very cool.

By the way, those of you who have Fuse, Thursday's episode of "Later...with Jools Holland" will have Muse as one of its guests. The show'll be on at 1 pm and 5 pm eastern for anyone who's interested in watching it.

Angela

xaviMF22 said:
or Matt's unintended Choice to live his life extended :censored:

you know xavi, I find a lot of what you (and a couple of others) say funny and interesting most times (I enjoy a lot really).. And helpful too in getting info re: RH...

But I have to say you love to come in and bash other bands except for RH. Everyone is entittled to their opinions no doubt but if you don't like a band then why not sidestep that thread for something else.. just a thought..

cont'd :wink:

I know you say alot in jest, fun and not to be taken seriously which I really don't. I guess I get a little annoyed... Truly, no offense to you or anyone else for that matter. I just wanted to vent I guess. I don't mean to come off as sensitive about it really.

/rant... :D

U2Fanatic4ever said:

you know xavi, I find a lot of what you (and a couple of others) say funny and interesting most times (I enjoy a lot really).. And helpful too in getting info re: RH...

But I have to say you love to come in and bash other bands except for RH. Everyone is entittled to their opinions no doubt but if you don't like a band then why not sidestep that thread for something else.. just a thought..

but I love Muse :scratch:

I think Muse may be over the top, or sensational at times with their lyrics but they are one of the few bands who can be over the top and sensational without sounding cheesy in my opinion.

If a band can do it right without sounding lame-o, then I say more power to them. I happen to like Muse's lyrics a lot and have yet to find a song I don't like. Grand, powerful music and sensational lyrics does not equate to bad music. If it's done right it equals great music, and Muse does it right.

Of course this is just my opinion.

I like Muse because they're over the top. The lyrics are just to give the guitar something to play over, at least in my opinion.

They have fucking strobe lights and balloons filled with confetti because they can, and they rock the fuck out live because they're so excessive about using as little restraint as possible.

Canadiens1160 said:
I like Muse because they're over the top. The lyrics are just to give the guitar something to play over, at least in my opinion.

They have fucking strobe lights and balloons filled with confetti because they can, and they rock the fuck out live because they're so excessive about using as little restraint as possible.

LOL, exactly. They're serious about the music in the sense that they want to make it sound as good as they possibly can, they put a lot of care into the creation of their songs. But they also know they're over the top, they know they're bombastic, and they're fine with that :D. One reason why I love a song (and video) like "Knights Of Cydonia"-they sound like they had fun making that one (after all, how serious are you if you come up with a title like that?), and I like that. It's a refreshing change of pace in modern music. And the fact that they're so "no holds barred" makes me curious to see what crazy ideas they'll come up with next-expect the unexpected.

Agreed on your post, too, U2Fan101.

Angela

Canadiens1160 said:

Couldn't have said it better if I'd tried, so I won't :)

Carek1230 said:
I gave them a listen and they're pretty OK. I usually like over the top though. I think I'd enjoy seeing them live.

you sure would enjoy them! :D it's spectacular to say the least! They are clearly one of the best live acts around.. Check them out...! Feel free to ask me anything... I have alot of their music.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom