My Neighbors Suck!!! GAO!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeartlandGirl

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Maybe you guys and gals will have some advice.

My neighbors are driving me crazy. I live in an apartment building, and my neighbors on both sides insist on playing really loud music at all times of the day, every day of the week.

I'm not just talking the occasional party. Every day, several times a day, I have to listen to pounding, throbbing bass pouring through my kitchen, living room, and bedroom walls. I can't watch television because I can't hear it. I can't sit down and eat at the kitchen table because it is so loud. I work normal workdays (mornings and afternoons) and I can't get enough sleep because people are playing music so late at night. I have had to sleep with earplugs in, or go sleep in the living room because the noise in the bedroom is so loud.

I have tried to go talk to my neighbors, and usually, no one will answer the door. One late night, the radio was blaring but no one was even home (you could see in through their front window). When they have answered the door, they'll turn it down for about ten minutes---it is not a long term solution. Two nights ago, at 1:30 in the morning, I called the police. Still, every day since, I have had to listen to their music. I can even hear it in the bath tub with the water running. And it's not just the bass. I can pick out lyrics and can usually recognize the songs.

Like most people, my rent is due today, but no one is in the manager's office. I have complained to them, but to no avail. I am now thinking of demanding that they move me to a quieter unit or let me out of my lease. Please understand I don't care about loud music if it's the occasional party on a weekend. But every day, every night is getting to be too much.

Any advice? Any similar stories? Any words of encouragement? I am at my wit's end.
mad.gif

that's ridiculous. you should for sure demand they move, you move, or are let out of your lease entirely.

------------------
bottom line: U2 rules.

That's ridiculous..

I had neighbors above me that would decide to do the wild thing at all hours of the nite.. especially when I had to work the next morning GAO!

I left a bad note on their door.. hhehehehe.

They moved out.

biggrin.gif

Ok here's the answer, reverse warfare. If they are playing loud music late at night it indicates that they are alsepp when you are awake right? Ok so your answer is, as soon as you wake up in the morning start pumping up your music.
See they'll be asleep after partying late and your music will piss them off. This way they'll gte how annoying it is. Play it loud, and be unapologetic. And if it gets really bad, call the 5-0.
mad.gif
GAO to rude neighbors.

------------------
Please repeat the message, it's the music that we choose.
http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~kljense3/MrTvs.html

Do a search on them, do they have outstanding warrants or anything? They could be drug users. Do an investigation at one of those online places, and if you have their phone # make sure to call when they are asleep. You have a crappy landlord, and the best is to move. Ask to be let out of your lease, as that is not a "habitable" apt. Have had the same situation, complained, and then the nut who lived above used a hammer and pounded the floor all night, walked stomping for hours, and lifted up his toliet lid and dropped it 1000x, and yes he was nuts. When he would come in at night he would spit all over our car windows in the parking garage. So if they get reprimanded, you can have even more harassment and still not be rid of it. Lots of nuts people live near us sometimes. We have screaming drunks who sit outside and yell all night at their "parties." You also need to call the police, over and over, as they will enforce the noise ordinances. Be a squeaky wheel, and try not to let them know who to retaliate against.

Originally posted by U2live:
Lots of nuts people live near us sometimes. We have screaming drunks who sit outside and yell all night at their "parties." You also need to call the police, over and over, as they will enforce the noise ordinances. Be a squeaky wheel, and try not to let them know who to retaliate against.

what a lovely neighbourhood.

------------------
bottom line: U2 rules.

Though retaliation was certainly my first idea, you really shouldn't do that. Then they'll be able to complain about you too. Get out of the lease. That's really all you can do. But when you move out you should give them a litte note that says "F.O.A.D" it will make you feel better years down the line (or at least it would make me feel better).
tongue.gif

------------------
Go lightly down your darkened way.

Originally posted by notiti:
Ok here's the answer, reverse warfare. If they are playing loud music late at night it indicates that they are alsepp when you are awake right? Ok so your answer is, as soon as you wake up in the morning start pumping up your music.
See they'll be asleep after partying late and your music will piss them off. This way they'll gte how annoying it is. Play it loud, and be unapologetic. And if it gets really bad, call the 5-0.
mad.gif
GAO to rude neighbors.

Well, i did that. When my neighbors used to play music loud every night for a week. Asking to turn the level down did not work.
Than i decided to wake my neighbors by ringing theyre bell when i got to work. And believe me, it worked for me ( I go to work at 5.45 every morning
biggrin.gif
)

OK and now for the legaleze... (sorry) hehe

I know I should remember this but I don't remember what state you live in. Most states, like mine, have a tenant-landlord act that requires they provide you with a livable environment. In my state, this includes disruptive noise (due to ongoing construction, neighbors, etc). You should look into that before you go to meet with them. If you go in with the correct statute in your hand when you talk to the management, they can't help but correct it or move you... but there are usually steps you have to take to make your complaint known.

If you want to email me privately, I'll see if I can help you get a copy of the applicable law in your state... crzy4bono@aol.com.

Peace! (I know you really want it!
wink.gif
)

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

I work for a low-income housing agency and do occasionally have to deal with this. First of all, depending on where you live there should be a city ordinance regarding noise level after a certain time of day. Where I live, it's 9:00 pm. Second you should check your lease. Our states that "The tenant shall not make or permit to be made, any disturbing noises that will reasonably interefere with the rights, comforts or conveninece of other tenants." And definately complain to your management about it. You also have a right to call the police about the noise if necessary. We have given warnings to loud tenants before and also have had some legally evicted.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all your advice and amusing stories!!! Rono's ringing the doorbell every morning at 5:45 especially!
biggrin.gif

For the update:

I went by and talked to my landlords about it today. They said that the girl next door (who lives there with her 2-3 kids) had let her father and then her sister move in with her while they were looking for jobs. Now apparently, the sister and her kids are still there and it is the sister who is probably making all the noise and having her friends over all the time.

The landlords have agreed to write a letter demanding that the sister and father and whoever else move out immediately. They said it would greatly help me and the girl who is the actual tenant. They think she's been run out of her own home by her family and is staying with someone else, perhaps her boyfriend.

The landlords said to monitor the situation and to come back and talk to them if it doesn't get quieter over there within a few days. Complaining in person is so much more effective than complaining over the phone, let me tell you! I actually got to talk to the main person over there and she got almost as mad as I was.

Alas, I hope the story ends here, but if not, I appreciate the offers of information. And of course, thanks everyone for letting me vent to you!!!

Viva U2!!!!

Back
Top Bottom