My Matchbox Twenty Concert Story Nights 1 And 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_man2002

Blue Crack Addict
My Matchbox Twenty Concert's Story Night 1

hi, i've just got back from 2, of the best concerts that i've seen in my life!! (i havent seen u2 yet!) and i recrorded both shows with my mini disc recorder, so i have them too keep forever....
so i'll tell y'all about the shows......

Friday, July 25 2003 , Night I
got into the city about 2 in the afternoon, sat around the hotel watching simpsons :yes:, after an hour or two, we decided to we decided to walk down street and have a look around to fill in some time.
about 6PM my pearents friends arrived at the hotel, so we went down to there room for an hour or so, and then we would head off the the first of two shows...
we left the hotel about 7:45pm, arrived at Rod Laver Arena around 8pm....got out seats, on the floor, 3rd row from the back (still very good seats!)
the two bands that were on before show were great!, both played with allot of passion...they went off about 9:15, and the antipation and exitement was building!....then at around 9:30pm the 5 guys came out
opening with "cold" off there new album, which was a suprise as an opener, next came "real world, of the first album, this had the crowd jumping! Rob did some talking, about how great it was to be back in melboune, then they played a couple of songs in a row from the new album "All I Need", follwed by "Soul", "Diease" and "Could I Be You", which rocked!!
everything went dark for a short while, until the light shined on Adam (guatrist) when "3AM" began, everyone stood up, and starting singing, after that came "Mad Season" from there 2nd album...then it was back to a couple of new songs, in "Feel" (which had simalr lighting to new york from elevation tour) "hand me down" was great!, next Rob & Kyle set up for the next song, while Adam, Paul, Brian went off...Rob & Kyle did an accioutic verison of "If Youre Gone", everyone cheerd after it...the rest of the band came back, and they played "Bent" which was also great! (this is getting to be a broken record!)
after bent, Rob did some talking,
"No matter how long we've been in a band, we've always liked playing someone elses songs...so were gunna have cover time" suddenly, the lights turned red...i'd heard this noise before...there was a big build up, then i noticed! this sounds like a U2 song.....i couldnt belive it...when i heard the first few lyrics "I Want To Run......I want to hide"....they played STREEETS!!!!! everyone got up and sang along!, it was such an exellent cover version!! Rob sang it soo very well!!
after a great version of streets...they played there latest single "Unwell" which was exellent!, follwing that, they played one of my favourites..."Back 2 Good", which is off there first album, they played that song so well!!
next came "Downfall" and follwing that, was another of my favouites "Youre So Real" also from new album, rob added some extra lyrics into the song, and after it they went of stage....

during the encore everyone one was cheering for more! after about 2 or 3 minutes...Matchbox Twenty came back on stage..
and played "So Sad, So Lonely" whcih was fantastic!, following that was "Long Day" which on the last 2 tours was a traditonal closer (like "40") rob also added some extra lyrics to this song, and said "thanks very much, were arent quite finished yet, but this is a good time to say thats very much melbourne!!"
following Long Day, came "Push" which was the final song of the night.....and what a great night it was!!!!!

ok, so thats very very long!!, stay tuned for Night II soon!

My Matchbox Tweny Concert Story Night 2

after an exellent first show, Matchbox Twenty would be back for there final melbourne show of this current tour...and i expected a great night!, however i still got the great night, just a little dissapointed, if you read on, you'll find out!
i only got to this show by luck, mums friend was going to go, until she was called up to work, so i drew the short straw

We left the hotel about 6:30, show didnt start till 8pm (according to the tickets), but i knew that it would be about 9 ish, juging by last night.
the doors opened about 7:30 or thereabouts, and we went in got our seasts (2ND ROW FROM THE FRONT!!!)
yet again, the two bands on before the show were great, i think they both slightly changed there set-list around too.
finally the lights went down, i was expecting the same set as last night...but they opened with "Soul", it was amazing to be so close to the band...after soul came "Real World, again, the crowd went nuts, just like friday nights show...following that, Rob did some talking, his words meant the same...but they were diffrent from firdays "speech", after his speech, the band riped into "All I Need" which was almost as good as last night!!!, the set was changed allot from last night, next up came "Disease", which was follwed by "could i be you", which was just as good as friday, but you could sense something wasnt right...Rob thanked the crowd (yet again!!) and then as it did last night "3AM" brought the house down!, follwed by "Mad Season", "Hand Me Down" was next, Rob back on Piano, exellent verion of the song!, still he wasnt his usurall self. next thing, the funnies thing happend, stragely, there was a long pause bettween songs, rob came back out on stage and said "sorry, that was completly an unprofesional thing to do, but i had to take Piss" :lol:, as they did last night, the rest of the band went off whilst Rob & Kyle did the accuistic "If Youre Gone", even better than last night!

Rob talked for a while, then introduced "Bright Lights", which was when the show went down will while he was singing "Baby! Baby! Baby!, i though the wrong note came out...but it came to me, his voice wasnt in its best shape...and happend again during the song..from then on he didnt wanst singing as strong has he had been.
Rob then talked for a while, he was still clearing his voice while he was talking...then he introduced "Bent", he said : "we went to europe on our last tour, and discoverd that bent means 'gay', but then we came to australia, and bent just means your a littled fucked up" :lol:
bent was fantastic...still Rob wanst the Rob of last night...
next up was 'Cover Time', rob did some more talking he said "i got something in my thorat that keeps coming up, but i only come to melbourne every 2 years, so i'm gunna push on, the cover song was "Dont You Forget About Me", those "Hey Hey Hey Hay's" had everone up singing!, what a great cover song..."Unwell" was next, and i got the feeling thats exactly how Rob was feeling...
last nights opener "Cold" was next, the band played it very well!, next up was my favourite "Back 2 Good" Rob tried to sing it well, he did a good job, but didnt seem to want to sing the high notes, and sing strongley...after Back 2 Good The band went of stage...
whilst everyone exepcted an Encore
there wasnt one!!!, and there was no explaination as to why the went off...though most of us thought it was Robs voice....
so a sad ending to a great, but short night....
so we walked back to the hotel....dissapointed and happy at the same time :scratch:

hope you enjoyed my stories or reviews off the shows....Matchbox Twenty are doing a show in adeliade tonight...wonder if Robs voice will be back...

it sounded great... i did acturly recored both shows with my mini disc recorder....but for some reason, i missed most of the 1st half of the first show, so i dont have a recording of it...

also, i heard that apparently matchbox twenty are releasing a dvd sometime in the future from there current tour...
a cover version of "where the streets have no name" was played on the night the show was filmed, i wonder if it will make it to the dvd

Hi BM2002
my son and his girlfriend just called in on their way back from the Matchbox Twenty concert in Brisbane last night. She was glowing, said it was THE BEST concert she has seen:) They played a cover version of Wings-"Jet" and Rob came back on and did a solo acoustic version of Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time".
I had booked her quite a good seat at the BEC.....except, for the extremely tall man sitting in front of her. She mentioned it to the usher and he moved her to a much better seat closer to the front:up: She said " so close I could see his face":)
Turns out my old school friend loves them too. She wanted to go to the concert last night , but had to attend her father-in-laws 70th birthday celebration....and our drummer's girlfriend was at the TOFOG show last night and she was wishing she was at Matchbox Twenty instead. She LOVES them too. Very popular.
I am having net connection problems again....trying to be brief:D

I am wondering if it would be possible for me to get a copy of your recording? Of course I'll pay any costs involved. Can you let me know about that please?...cassowary2@yahoo.com.au
I see you have trade page, I'll check it out when I can. I don't think I have much to trade ...I'm a bit of an old fogey:)

Cheers

i wont charge you anything no matter what....if you have nothing to trade, just send me 2 blank cds, or 3 if you want the incomplete first show....anyways i'll e-mail ya soon

hey way cool. i seen em in L.A. i was talking to a fan outside and she saw that i was wearing a u2 shirt and told me that matchbox was working on a cover of Streets. i didn't get to hear it though.

but i got to see paul race away in his car. i yelled to tell him he was beautiful. he grinned and drove off. he looks so small in person.

i liked your reviews :)

a couple friends of mine went to the one where they did 'streets' ( Friday, July 25 2003 ) they said they had a blast!

i'm going to see mb20 in september when they tour the uk :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom