(my) Green Day in Vancouver review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isabelle_guns

Refugee
GREEN DAY LIVE IN VANCOUVER !!!!!!

What: Green Day
Where: Pacific Coliseum
When: November 17, 2004

May of '94 was the first time I saw GreenDay at the age of 13. Tonight was my 4th! Only now those 13 years olds who accompanied me back in '94 were all grown up, most of whom have children of their own who they took last night. It was charming to witness a new generation of young kids moshing and singing along to GreenDay. Watching Fathers and sons enjoying the same music was priceless, the kind of priceless that should be in a Mastercard commercial.

The first opening band were SugarKult. I dismissed them at first as another boy/pop punk band trying too hard to get the approval of all the screaming 12 year old girls. However about 3 songs into their set, I warmed up to them.

The second openers were New Found Glory. I could not stand NFG, they annoyed me. I went to the bathroom instead and spent the 45 minutes playing video games on my cell phone.

GreenDay hit the stage shortly after. The trio got older, got married, have kids of their own but the music, the attitude, the energy and the spunk were still the same. It was cute watching the kids with the various semi punk/skater slogans written on their shirts jumping up and down to retro (yes the 90's are now considered retro) hits such as "Basket Case" and "Longview".

GreenDay opened the show with title track off their recent release, "American Idiot." The setlist was a good mixture of greatest hits and a few tracks of American Idiot. More attention during the 1h and 45 min set was concentrated on the hits.

Two songs into their set, Billy Joe invited 100 fans who were sitting in the plaza seats a chance to flood the floor. It was a near riot of eger little skater kids trying to get closer to their idol. The Security did nothing as they watched more than 100 kids jumped the barricades. Billy announced, "This is not a fuckin' war, it's a concert, if someone is not doing well or is getting hurt, you guys watch out for each other and take it easy."

During the encore GreenDay covered Queen's "We Are The Champions" at which point the audience was gracefully dusted with red, white and green confetti. I stood there watching Billy Joe sing the lyrics of the adored Queen song while being showed in confetti like a light winter snowfall. It was the most beautiful scene.

The beauty didn't end there. During the song "Good Riddance" the confetti still continued to fall. I stood there and thought about my graduation, the great time I had at Bowie and of how good it felt for the first time (in what seemed like ages) to be alive.

Set list:
01. American Idiot
02. Jesus Loves Suburbia
03. ----------------- (can't remember)
04. Holiday
05. St. Jimmy
06. Longview
07. Hitchin' A Ride
08. Brainstew/Jadded
band introduction
09. ------------------(can't remember)
Taking members of the audience and turning them into a 3 piece band.
10. Basket Case
11. She
12. King For A Day
13. When September Ends
14. Minority

Encore
15. Boulevard of Broken Dreams
16. When I Come Around
17. We Are The Champions
18. Good Riddance

Great Setlist!! I'm seeing them on December 4 so I'm quite excited seeing them because it's probably my last concert this year, at least something worthwhile until next year for U2

did they played Stuck with Me?

That's pretty much what they played in Denver and they played Knowledge by Operation Ivy which was sweet

The more I listen to this album, the more I appreciate it. The instrumentation is not nearly as diverse as Warning, but in terms of arrangement and precision, this is something very unique for the band. :up:

I was there too!!!

It was an awesome show..

#9 was knowledge

2 is Jesus OF Suburbia, btw =P

#3 was Are We the Waiting ;)

but damn, Billie Joe sure knows how to entertain... I was on the floor, and it was so empty during the opening acts... then GD came on and it went nuts..

I'm still finding that confetti evrywhere, I just pulled a piece of of my she this morning :p

my friend was wearing a white shirt though, and the red confetti ink came off and wrecked it :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom