My Generation - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2004, 08:05 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:42 AM
My Generation

you know what? i'm damn pissed off.

my generation is going to be marked by really shitty music. think about it for a second:

1950's: Early rock n roll, Elvis, Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Chubby Checker, etc.
1960-65: the Beatles, the Who, the Yardbirds, the Rolling Stones, etc.
1965-70: start of the psychedelic rock movement, lots of insanely good bands starting out, Aerosmith, the Beatles doing their best work, Led Zeppelin starting, Woodstock, Altamont.
1970-80: Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Peter Frampton, the Eagles, KISS, Queen, AC/DC, punk rock starting.
1980-90: punk rock, the Ramones, the Sex Pistols, the Clash, U2, some great dancing bands, hair metal, and 70's bands still going strong. also, the birth of (good) hip-hop.
1990-95: grunge, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Blind Melon, etc.

and my generation? 1995-2005?

we get first techno, then gangsta rap, then cock rock, then now pop-punk, emo, and screamo.

i'm 18 years old god dammit! i'm supposed to be listening to the mainstream music, the Top 40 of the day! but instead i'm listening to bands from 20+ years ago, and underground stuff from today. and it pisses me off, because today's music sucks so fucking bad!

i think that in 20 years from now, our musical era will be looked upon as being worse than the disco era. and you can quote me on that.

Old 12-15-2004, 08:15 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:42 AM
There's alot of amazing music out there right now, you just have to find it. The White Stripes, Interpol, The Killers, The Shins, Wilco, Guided by Voices, The Streets, PJ Harvey, The Raveonettes, Beck, Muse, The Strokes... the list goes on and on. There's plenty of good music out there to be happy about.

But I will agree with you that the pervading "popular music" in current years really has been terrible.

Old 12-15-2004, 08:24 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:42 PM
Worse than the disco era??? Watch whos era you are slagging mate.

Actually Im more of an early 80s Europop era girl myself. And yeah, I still listen and love those old songs.

A lot of the music you listed wasnt mainstream at the time eg The Clash and the Sex Pistols, that was the whole point with punk. A lot of those bands have become legends later, in hindsight.

There is lots of good stuff out there Dave, you just might have to hunt for it.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:31 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

i know that there's loads of great stuff out there, but none of it's mainstream. that's my point. the really good stuff in the past all seemed to be relatively mainstream. these days, with corporate radio and MTV no longer actually showing videos, it's like the bands that are not exactly mainstream never even get a chance, and music never changes.

mainstream music has been the same since 2000.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:34 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:42 AM
Pop music will always exist for high school kids, as for rock, the defintion of great eras in rock is usually when the mainstream is actually good. There have been many eras outside of the mainstream that have produced great music.

In my lifetime the shittiest eras have been 85-90 and 95-00.

Sure, you had an occasional U2 in the 85-90 era or even Radiohead in the 95-00, but outside of a few select groups it was very very very shitty. Especially the hair metal era, worst rock music era ever. Followed closely by the late 90's purge of rock/metal/rap.

As of now 00-04, I think it's pretty good actually, getting better at least. There is some good music out there and if you tune out of the really really mainstream shit, it's pretty good.

After all, it's not like the late 60's or early 90's where the mainstream was actually full of great bands, that rarely happens. Probably won't happen again until the dawn of the next decade.
A good era always tends to be followed by a shit era, if we are talking your typical mainstream rock and such.

Maybe it never happens again, but I think it could, one thing is for sure, is that it will get worse before it gets better.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:35 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Dave, I guess I was typing as you posted, and basically I agree with your last post. I think the current say, MTV top 20 rock songs are better than they were 5 years ago though.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:38 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:42 PM
Does it need to be mainstream? Can you listen to some of the internet radio stations that may play music more to your liking?

I actually feel like alot of 90s music was bland too. But then Im not the target demographic ie a 12 year old girl. And nor are you Dave. Most of the music you listed are bands for boys when in reality the charts are usually populated with bands for little girls.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:50 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Thanks so much for Britney, Christina, Hillary, Lindsey, Ashley, Averil...WOW, you generation does suck.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:51 PM   #9
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Don't get so bent out of shape over what's mainstream. Who cares how people look back at what was mainstream during your generation? Just enjoy what you like.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 12-15-2004, 10:12 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

I've only rarely listened to mainstream music in my life, and never much cared who was where on the charts. But I've found music I love, and I still do. You have to look a little harder. But since when have the good things in life come easily?
Old 12-15-2004, 11:02 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick
Don't get so bent out of shape over what's mainstream. Who cares how people look back at what was mainstream during your generation? Just enjoy what you like.

Personally, there is some mainstream stuff out right now that I don't mind. Yeah, there's some I can't stand, either, but it's not all bad.

Bottom line, every generation has its good and bad mainstream music-this is nothing new.

Angela
Old 12-16-2004, 02:23 AM   #12
Refugee

what do you think about Gwen Stefani ?
Old 12-16-2004, 04:44 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by WinnieThePoo
I saw her on tv yesterday performing her new single. It was hideous!
Old 12-16-2004, 04:45 AM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by WinnieThePoo

very few people honestly deserve to die for putting out bad music, and i usually say "so and so needs to die" and not really mean it. although in her case...i'm not so sure i'm kidding.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:53 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:42 AM
Re: My Generation

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC
you know what? i'm damn pissed off.

my generation is going to be marked by really shitty music. think about it for a second:

1950's: Early rock n roll, Elvis, Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Chubby Checker, etc.
1960-65: the Beatles, the Who, the Yardbirds, the Rolling Stones, etc.
1965-70: start of the psychedelic rock movement, lots of insanely good bands starting out, Aerosmith, the Beatles doing their best work, Led Zeppelin starting, Woodstock, Altamont.
1970-80: Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Peter Frampton, the Eagles, KISS, Queen, AC/DC, punk rock starting.
1980-90: punk rock, the Ramones, the Sex Pistols, the Clash, U2, some great dancing bands, hair metal, and 70's bands still going strong. also, the birth of (good) hip-hop.
1990-95: grunge, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Blind Melon, etc.

and my generation? 1995-2005?

we get first techno, then gangsta rap, then cock rock, then now pop-punk, emo, and screamo.

i'm 18 years old god dammit! i'm supposed to be listening to the mainstream music, the Top 40 of the day! but instead i'm listening to bands from 20+ years ago, and underground stuff from today. and it pisses me off, because today's music sucks so fucking bad!

i think that in 20 years from now, our musical era will be looked upon as being worse than the disco era. and you can quote me on that.

cock rock? What is that?

1995:2005 - Radiohead, Coldplay, "the" bands, arrival of a new generation of songwriters/singers like John Mayer or Ryan Adams, Pearl Jam is still here as is REM and those 4 Irish lads you might have heard of.

The problem is, since late 90's the music industry changed so much it's very hard for rock bands to enter, and more importantly, stay in the mainstream.
Boybands, Britney and clones, Spice Girls and Pop Idols ruined music, and I wonder if Bono wasn't right when he sang "the last of the rock stars" in Kite...I can't imagine a rock band having the time of 7 years and 5 albums to make it big these days.