my future is in YOUR hands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bailey

Babyface
well, no, not really. but i would like some advice. i am planning to graduate from high school early, but before i can do this i need to get my counselor to approve. she won't do this until i decide on a college.
i really need help with this. i can't even choose a favorite color, much less what i want to do with my life. so, any suggestions? what's a good school (in the us) to go to if you don't know what you're going to do? you people seem fairly well educated and i really hope you can help me here.

*sigh* no-one's gonna reply. oh well.
frown.gif

Um.... why are you assuming you have to go to college? Why not take a year off, work out what you want to do with your life?
(worked for me)

Better than enrolling in a course you're not really sure about, and dropping out....

What a helpful bunch.
rolleyes.gif

Where are you? Do you want to go away to school? Will your parents pay for school? Could you attend community college while you decide what to do? If you do take a year off, what will you do? Who will pay for the travel? These are important questions to consider. When many of these are answered, you'll have a better idea what to do. This may be why your counselor won't sign you off just yet. Keep us posted.

------------------
...a highway with no one on it, a treasure just to look upon it...

bailey~

You can go to almost any school and know what what you want to do (except for specialized schools). I went to a university for a semester before transferring to community college (much cheaper!!), and I have met TONS of people who didn't know what they were going to do! You can get basic graduation requirements done...all schools (I believe) have requirements that ALL students must be to graduate, regardless of your major, such as English, speech, psychology...it will differ from each school.

College really isn't the only way to go either. My sister tried college, it wasn't for her, and she has a job now where she's makin' damn good money.

As for picking a major, I decided back when I was 5 years old to be an elementary teacher...I had my heart deadset on it.

Well, when I was 18 and in my first semester at university...I changed my mind and decided to major in computers...*lol* And I am doing FINE now!!! Not to mention that that was my dream university...I had also decided I wanted to go there when I was 5 years old, and I had said I'd NEVER go anywhere else...and then I transferred! *lol*

So much for picking a school and a major!
smile.gif

So, see?? If you decide something and don't like it, it is NEVER too late to change!!! I changed plans that were over 13 years old!!!

Good luck!!
smile.gif

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

[This message has been edited by Bonochick (edited 10-24-2001).]

Bailey,

I think everyone has offered wonderful solutions and options.. So thought I'd join in too!
smile.gif

I decided to go to Community College first because starting out as a Freshman at a big University was way too overwhelming for me. While there, and while taking required courses, it gave me "me time" to figure out who I was, and second, what I was interested in, good at, and passionate about.

Like others here, I am passionate about U2. Their music saved my life when I was younger, and really opened me up to focus on my strengths as a person. I've always been a writer. I've always been good with people. I am fairly out-going, and have been told that I am well-read and well-spoken.

After taking yet another personality idiot test that didn't tell me jack from jill, I jotted my strengths, passions and talents on a piece of paper. Based on all of those categories, columns, pros & cons, I decided that a career in journalism or Public Relations was the choice for me. (This formula I followed does not work for everyone, mind you).

I went on to major in Communications and minor in Psychology at FSU (not a school I recommend, but it was local). I now work as a Publicist in the computer software industry and do freelance PR work for some musicians in NYC right now.

This was just my recipie (sp?) though, but it worked for me (I think soul-searching is good for everybody at some point) and perhaps it will work for you.

Whereever the roads lead you - just make sure you are happy and satisfied, and true to yourself. Everything else will fall into place from there.
wink.gif

------------------
Here's to the few who forgive what you do
and the fewer who don't even care
--Leonard Cohen

College is very important, so I would not advise taking time off. You are more likely to forget details in high school, which are still important for General curriculum.

First of all, what do you find fun? What do you enjoy? I ask this, because when I asked myself the same question, I responded art and watching television. Hence, I got into telecommunication, where I am studying video and web production. Do not think you have to get into the traditional subjects of high school. There are a wide range of programs out there.

If you enjoy sports, for instance, consider getting into something involving sports. There's sports medicine, there is broadcasting, where you could learn the techniques for being on radio and TV. I mean, there is a lot out there, and do not dismiss what you find "fun." It's really the only way I would go about finding out what you want to do. And, if you decide on a program you like, and need help finding colleges, I can help you out if needed, although the counselor should be able to do that as well.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Originally posted by HelloAngel:
After taking yet another personality idiot test that didn't tell me jack from jill

LOL...they told me to become a financial administrator for religious institutions of all things. Talk about boring! I don't put much store in those tests at all.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

thanks
smile.gif

i still have no idea what to do, but you guys are all very helpful. now i feel better
smile.gif
i like smilies
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom