my favourite national anthem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yertle-the-turtle

ONE love, blood, life
I love watching sporting events and hearing the national anthems of the countries. My favourite, however, would be 'Das Lied der Deutschen', the national anthem of Germany. It's one of the most stirring pieces of work I have ever heard. Close runner-up would be Nkosi sikelel' iAfrika (South Africa).

yertle-the-turtle said:
of course, by favourite I mean other than those by my home countr(ies), of course :)

haha, good save ;)

personally...i have no idea.

Radiohead - The National Anthem
:wink:
Love that song!

I hate Australia's. And America's. It has nothing to do with patriotism or hating either country, the anthems are just very poor. And God Save The Queen kind of gets up my nose too.

:|

Australia has the worst national anthem on earth. Most countries have sucky bland national anthems.

The only one I like is the Maori national anthem because I can sing all the words and I have no idea what it means. Plus doing the haka and spitting at the end is all ways good.

French is the only national anthem I've ever been impressed with. It's stirring and very hummable.

My favourite national anthem though is the anthem of Ankh-Morpork which comes from Terry Pratchett's Discworld books, :)

We own all your helmets,
We own all your shoes,
We own all your generals,
Touch us and you'll lose!
Morporkia! Morporkia!

beli said:
Plus doing the haka and spitting at the end is all ways good.

*ahem*

KA MATE! KA MATE!
KA ORA, KA ORA!
KA MATE! KA MATE!
KA ORA, KA ORA!
TENEI TE TANGATA PU'RU-HURU
NA'A NEI TIKI MAI WHAKA-WHITI TE ...
... RA! HUPANE! KA-UPANE!
A HUPANE! KA-UPANE!
WHITI TE RA!
HI!

haka.jpg

beli said:
Australia has the worst national anthem on earth. Most countries have sucky bland national anthems.

The only one I like is the Maori national anthem because I can sing all the words and I have no idea what it means. Plus doing the haka and spitting at the end is all ways good.

if you cant your national anthem, change your country .

you missed out a word.

have you heard our anthem????

who the hell says GIRT? What the hell kind of warpey Ye Olde English is this anyway?!

beli said:
Australia has the worst national anthem on earth.

The Australian national anthem, I think, is probably the only one in the world where the... well, I hesitate to call them lyrics... the words fit in so well with so many other tunes.

Like Working Class Man, for example.

Australians all let us rejoice,
For we are young and free;

yeah....unless you were a convict or a slave back in the early days.

We’ve golden soil and wealth for toil;

for real. this land is the most uninhabitable ever. whoever can farm on this shitty red clay deserves all the wealth they can get. did you know some parts of australia haven't seen rain since 2000? :rolleyes:

Our home is girt by sea;
Our land abounds in nature’s gifts
Of beauty rich and rare;
In history’s page, let every stage
Advance Australia Fair.
In joyful strains then let us sing,
Advance Australia Fair.

well der. we're an island. what else would we be girt by? :rolleyes: as for the bext part, we're doing a great job of raping the land, dont you worry!

Beneath our radiant Southern Cross
We’ll toil with hearts and hands;
To make this Commonwealth of ours
Renowned of all the lands;

this is a good one. we toiled initially because we bloody had to! commonwealth? fat lot england did for us after they dumped the first 27 boatloads of poor saps here!

For those who’ve come across the seas
We’ve boundless plains to share;

plains. yes. millions of square miles of them...come one, come all...worth noting that 'we' didnt have that right to share it originally and it is debateable if we do now...

With courage let us all combine
To Advance Australia Fair.
In joyful strains then let us sing,
Advance Australia Fair.

:yawn:

dont get me wrong, i love my country, i am proud of it, i love the anthem in terms of it being 'us' and patriotic etc etc. but could we have possibly got a worse one? i doubt it.

sorry for hijacking turtle :reject:

nah don't worry. don't the lyrics in its entirety contain references to how "Britannia rules the wave" and so on?

nonetheless I actually feel kinda bad about starting this thread now. it's just that I really like national anthems. sure musically and lyrically (from an objective standpoint) there's nothing to shout about, but i don't know, i just like them.

oh and as for Australia, I think only the Haka actually betters a stadium full of people in Wallaby jerseys singing along to Waltzing Matilda. :up:

Dont feel bad, I'll behave now I have my venting out of my system lol.

The Haka is tops in a full stadium. Despite whatever crapulence there is with any given anthem, nothing beats any stadium filled with people passionately belting out their nation's tune. And the fact that we love the kiwis as much as ourselves it can only be great when it happens!

I kept forgetting to state that I agree Germany's is pretty awesome. I like many from the African areas too.
:up:

Lol. I love this thead :love:

I havent heard the Aus anthem sung to working class man. Thats a crack up. I will have to look for it, unless you are able it to email me Renne?

Angie, Girt is Toms brother. It all makes sense once you know that. :up:

Yertle, keep going. There are some anthems that appear not to have been written by beurocrats . Please continue on with your appreciation :up:

Last edited:
yertle-the-turtle said:

*ahem*

KA MATE! KA MATE!
KA ORA, KA ORA!
KA MATE! KA MATE!
KA ORA, KA ORA!
TENEI TE TANGATA PU'RU-HURU
NA'A NEI TIKI MAI WHAKA-WHITI TE ...
... RA! HUPANE! KA-UPANE!
A HUPANE! KA-UPANE!
WHITI TE RA!
HI!

haka.jpg

Got to join in.

Ka mate! Ka mate!
Ka ora, ka ora!
Ka mate! Ka mate!
Ka ora, ka ora!
Tenei te tangata puru-huru
Na'a nei tiki mai whaka-whiti te ra!
Hupane! Ka-upane!
A hupane! Ka-upane!
Whiti te ra!
HI!

I have to say I also love God Defend New Zealand. That's a quality anthem and I'm so proud of my country for having it. It's just a shame that my adopted country has an absolutely SHOCKING anthem. Oh, it's revolting. I once parodied it, 'Advance Australia Where?', and although I can't remember the words, I felt it was a much better version. As it is, it's just total crap. It's embarrassing. I wouldn't sing it if you paid me.

For the record, Wales has the best anthem of anyone. It's stunningly beautiful. I adore the Welsh language.

I've always liked the Italian national anthem...very fun and cool.

And Oh Canada, just because it's the only non-US anthem I know the words to and it ususally signals the start to hockey season. grrr....NHL lockout....grrr.grrr.grrr.

[rant] God Save the Queen is just embarassing. Nobody knows the words after the first verse for a start, and the tune is so slow and boring - it's just a dirge

And as for the lyrics....why the hell SHOULD God save the queen. As far as I'm concerned, God can save who He sees fit!

another grumble is that it's nothing to do with the bloody country - it's all just about the queen and how we'd really like her to live for ages....[/rant]

The only fun bit is at football matches etc when everyone always sings the 'na na na na' orchestral bit

ie

God save our gracious queen
Long live our noble queen
God save the queen

Na-Na-Na-Na

Send her victorious
Happy and Glorious
Long to reign over us
God save the queen

Back
Top Bottom