My early call for album of the year..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkeeK

The Original, Rock n' Roll Doggie, VIP PASS
I humbly submit The National - Boxer.
To be released May 22 on Beggar's Banquet. This is a moody and heavily atmospheric, fairly dark album. Matt Berningsomething's deep baritone voice and weathered lyrics backed with beautiful and subtly layered arrangements with horns and violins, and some of the awesomest drumming you'll hear in a rock band these days. Arrangements take pages from everything from post-rock to REM. The album has a very consistent mood, no particular standout tracks because they're all ridiculously well-formed. They're all short, don't have traditional verse chorus patterns, they just throw down some awesome melodies and lyrics, swim around for a bit, throw down another great chorus.. etc. and then when the album's over you just gotta run to put it on again.

This is accessible stuff, though.. there's nothing particularly experimental.. it's just a really successful and touching mood piece.

Sounds like Achtung Baby if it was more acoustic, Nick Cave and the Bad Seedss, The Tindersticks, R.E.M., Silver Jews, but especially like The National. Who are going to very shortly become a major musical force to be reckoned with.

They're touring around North America rather soon so check out the dates.. chec out all the material available on www.americanmary.com (this one's their 4th album) and fall in love.

Alligator was awesome, you're the second person who says that this is the best album of the year so far, a friend of mine said it too

I HAVE to check it

^Check them out, they are quite cool....Alligator as Jack In The Box says is quite excellent.

Need to check The Boxer out:hmm:

Thanks for the reccomendation. I'll be sure to check this out. :up:

Currently, my pick for album of the year: Sound of Silver - LCD Soundsystem :drool: Hopefully there will be a handfull of albums this year that ecclipse that as well. What a fucking ace year for music in general. That's what I have to say. :rockon:

Lancemc said:
Thanks for the reccomendation. I'll be sure to check this out. :up:

Currently, my pick for album of the year: Sound of Silver - LCD Soundsystem :drool: Hopefully there will be a handfull of albums this year that ecclipse that as well. What a fucking ace year for music in general. That's what I have to say. :rockon:

I don't think you will be disappointed!

if you like the LCD Soundsystem, I definitely recommend Kalabrese - Rumpelzirkus. it's similar, but to my mind more interesting. a bit grimier, a bit more subdued and a little bit weirder, but still extremely catchy and quirky and fun. The same driving funk beats, but more organic instrumentation. Though I haven't quite gotten through my first listen, it's impressing me a LOT so far.

The Boxer is a really really good album. Great band as well.

Alligator is one of my favorite post-2000 CDs without question. Fantastic stuff.

I'm kind of disappointed they ditched the more upbeat/rocking songs for The Boxer ("Abel" and "Mr. November" were fucking fantastic, not to mention stuff like "Slipping Husband"), but it's nonetheless one of my favorites of the year thusfar.

I think Boxer functions as an atmospheric mood piece much more than Alligator. Abel and Mr November were definitely among my favourites on Alligator, but they just don't quite belong here... it is much more consistent.. the lounder songs are quieter and the quieter songs are louder so there's less variation. Strangely, i like that. Which is strange because usually I don't like when bands lop off their edges .. often it's boring. but here they add new edges so there's still a lot to find compelling.

I find it makes it extremely addicting.. But who knows what I'll think a month from now.. I'm interested to find out heh. Today I'm liking it a little less than yesterday..

The National's new album is amazing. Upon first listen, it doesn't make a signficant impression, as most of the songs are the same tempo. but it definitely rewards with repeated listens.
there is not one weak track on the album.

in my mind, they are one of the best bands out there at the moment.

I'll have to check this out; I've never heard anything by The National.

If anyone feels like hooking up an interested party ... alicia (dot) k (at) comcast (dot) net

Thanks!

Skeek -

I am in your debt. Thanks to this post I discovered an amazing, amazing band. I listened to the Boxer, and there isn't one weak track, then I went and bought Alligator.

This band is absolutely incredible. Thanks

OMG! Boxer is a gorgeous album! I can't believe I had never heard The National before a couple nights ago. I downloaded Boxer and bought Alligator. Definitely one of my favorite bands now. Amazing!

<takes a deep breath>

OK, so one of you kind souls sent me this. At first, I have to admit, I wasn't digging the guy's voice. However, I kept listening to the album and now I love pretty much everything about it.

I started writing down songs to post on here that I liked and I got toward the end of the album and realized I'd written down nearly every song. :wink:

I did some research on these guys and found that Sufjan Stevens plays piano on a couple tracks. (as if it couldn't get any cooler).
I'll definitely have to get their other stuff.

I've heard "Fake Empire" from "The Boxer" and would buy the record based on that song. :up:

SkeeK always knows best.

i'm only 3 songs in and this is really, really lovely.

good call. :up:

Everyone should also get Alligator....also a great album:D

The Cherry Tree Ep is also pretty good:up:

lmjhitman said:
SkeeK always knows best.

i'm only 3 songs in and this is really, really lovely.

good call. :up:

Indeed! Thanks for letting me know about these guys!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom