My dilema with a big spider last night!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OzAurora

Refugee
The Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
tis a bit of a frivilous post this one, but hey nonetheless just thought I would share it with you all....

a few weeks ago I woke up early on my way to my job on the lettuce farm and I see this big 'Huntsman' spider on the wall of my living room, now bear in my mind that I live on my own in a little one bedroom granny flat so there is no one to help me in these situations, so I see this spider and tell it to go outside, cause I really dont like killing these things but I dont like them near me either...so I leave to go to work and dont see it for ages until last night!!!!- I got home really late and I ws so tired cause I had been up since 5am and I was thinking that there was no way I could get it outside cause these spiders love to jump around and move fast, so even if I tried to get it on the end of a broom it would of run away or something, so I was looking around my place trying to find something to spray it with and all I could find was some lavendar air freshner, so I am spraying this poor thing and it is running about everywhere and meanwhile cause my place is so small I am almost keeling over from the stench of soooo much lavendar freshner in the air and then the spider hid behind my curtains and I thought well it must be dead, and I felt very bad about this, so I go to bed and start to read a bit of LOTR (which I am re-reading, with much excitement) and then this bloody spider appears on the ceiling just above my bed and I am like 'oh my' but I was soooo tired that I just went to bed knowing that it was just above me, I have never done anything like that before, so I have a question for you all, how do you get rid of creepy crawlies in your house without killing them??????:)

just for the record: i hate spiders. they scare the hell out of me. :|

okay, what i usually do is capture it with a cup (you know, put the cup on top of the spider?) and then wait for my dad to come home and get rid of it. or if your dad isn't there, just stick a piece of cardboard under the cup, very carefully, and take the thing outside, and remove the cardboard. then you and the spider are happy!

oh ya, good luck catching the spider... they are quick little devils... :huh:

I used to be scared of Spiders....

NOW I"M INSANELY TERRIFIED OF THEM.

I had a much worse incident about a month ago. ....

I was outside around 10 locking up my car. I had to put the top up for the night so I sat in my car to do so. Then I see a big Spider crawl across my dash toward me. I scream for my Dad and he brushes it out the door and I think thats that.

So a minute later i'm up in my room chatting with y'all and i have a tickle on top of my head. i go to scratch and theres SOMETHING THERE. I feel it and unsuccessfully try to rip whatever it is from my hair, then run downstairs blindly yelling for dad again, screaming "THERES SOMETHING IN MY HAIR!!!! HELP!" He grabs it and flings it to the floor and sure enough, BIG spider. He can't find it so I go to get a flashlight and a minute later i feel a tickle in my pants leg.

At this point i'm in Panic mode so I grab and squeeze that part up by my pocket, then proceed to rip my pants off (yes right in front of my dad-I was totally nutso at that point. I didn't care) and shook them out. I checked inside and sure enough there was some bug guts on the inside of my pants where i squished. :scream: Never did find the remnants of that damn spider. I swear I didn't sleep that night. I was positive he was gonna just curl up and sleep next to me on my pillow.

I say KILL the bastard. All Spiders must die. you have to kill it. A spider I see is a dead spider. I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM......

This incident has left me insanely frightened of spiders, anything such as fuzz on the floor which resembles a spider, even a hair brushing me now freaks me out. I now need psychological help, like seriously. :banghead: :scream:

Sorry, but I can't offer advice...I always have to kill them because they scare me!! :shifty:

I can't squash them cuz they leave a stain...I used to spray them with hairspray or perfume, but Dad caught me and got mad because I was going to ruin the walls and ceilings. So now I suck them up with the vacuum cleaner.

My roommate and I Just killed one the size of my fist

seriously SCARY!!!!!!

we tried squirting it w/ blech but it could RUN- so then I threw a shoe at it and squished it. THEN flushed it.

Bleeeeccccch :barf:

Remembers A Story...

One time, I was staying at my sister's house, and I was settling in for bed when I noticed a big spider up in the corner of the ceiling. I pointed it out to my sister, and she said, "That's Henry...he won't hurt you...he's been there for weeks. Don't kill him, he's my friend!"

I could not sleep...not with Henry staring at me, waiting to crawl up my nose or in my mouth as soon as I drifted off. :crack: :uhoh:

U got me started...insect stories, very popular round these here parts

Hi Aurora, u have to be brave down under. Land of big things, Bananas, Pinapples, Merino Sheep, Prawns... that one is, I think THE worst and I see it regularly:scratch:
So yes, a huntsman on the ceiling at night can be disconcerting. I have been known to massacre the occassional fellow creature.(I am having to keep my eyes open at the moment for the first of the summer's red -bellied black snakes to take up residence under my house. The frogs are taking advantage of the recent rain to breed...and the snakes know that...ahh nature.)
I wear boots as much as possible. We have funnel webs in autumn,.I will squash one of those if it comes into the house. I think the rapid squash method is more humane than spraying with vapour or chemical. I know you can euthanase reptiles in the freezer.
But anyway...do you get the Sain magazine from sanity?I just started to read the one with Jennifer Hewiit Love on the cover .(I've seen 3 CD's I want already, only up to page23:uhoh:)

If you can turn to page18. It made me think of your story and :)
I plan on winning those Red Hot Chili Peppers tickets. I have friends going to the Sydney and Brisbane concerts, so all I need is a ticket. Fingers crossed.

I commented in another thread that we haven't seen huntsman spiders here lately, but that may because we have more lizards. Oh in early winter we get orb web spiders EVERYWHERE, have you encountered them? The webs look spectacular with the dew drops on them, but if you walk into them at night they are sticky and you wonder where the huge fat resident spider is. I love insects, but some of them scare me.
I wish I had a lens to record some of the amazing one off creatures I have seen over the years. A lime green tiny disc insect that moved about by flipping end over end.....uh oh...I have just recalled...the cicadas will start up soon. INSECTS, SPIDERS, REPTILES..I:heart: them.

I saw you comment on my location<------over there, the storm. I will get around to telling the story one day. It was truly incredible and it is not over yet. I have a pic from the day of the concert, the stage , before it got datk, a fond memory, gosh we had fun.

PS: I have been meaning to say in the "what is out your window thread" a very sadly and long neglected vegetable garden" it's too dry to remedy that this season.
You grow lettuce ? I often comment on how lucky we are to have such quality fresh food in Oz. I buy my veges from the local store now and I know he buys them from the Brisbane markets, each Tuesday, early:) Superb. For your wee part, danka beautifully.
beSunsafe...but you know that:)

Sleep in Peace (spiders and all, good luck)

Re: U got me started...insect stories, very popular round these here parts

cass said:
So yes, a huntsman on the ceiling at night can be disconcerting. I have been known to massacre the occassional fellow creature.(I am having to keep my eyes open at the moment for the first of the summer's red -bellied black snakes to take up residence under my house. The frogs are taking advantage of the recent rain to breed...and the snakes know that...ahh nature.)
:no: :scream: :sad: :scream: :no: My worst nightmare....try to banish those thoughts before I go to sleep...:help: I do admire those of you that aren't so terrifired by nature as much as I am...I completely confess to being a total baby though, and especially terrified of the above mentioned creature... :|

i don't even know why i read this thread. i'm soooooo arachnophobic. :sad:

i can't even say the word, lol. whenever i see a ting (as my family calls them around me, lmao) i scream bloody murder and run in some other room, closing the door behind me. and i never forget to lock the door, since they're masterminds at opening doors and all. :laugh:

ahh Cass- where I live you get heaps of spiders, I remember the last time that I lived in the particular suburb of the Sunshine Coast that our place, as I called it was 'Huntsman Heaven', and sadly 'Cooum' is notorious for mozzies in Summer on dusk, good thing I have heaps of mozzie coils as I have this great outside area with tables and chairs, heaps of trees and chimes and it has ocean views and it is so nice to sit our there in the warmer months with a drink and if it be watch the ocean or a storm rolling off the water- ahhh bliss- roll on summer!!!!

My lettuce job is pretty cool- three mornings a week at a hydroponic farm and the farm is located out the back of one of Queensland's best thai restaraunts and it has the most amazing garden- it is all landscaped with ponds and rainforest and we have water dragons and the most arromatic her garden- I love the lettuc farm, but we only deliver to Sunshine Coast shops and markets, the only bummer thing about the farm is that being bushy and all there are snakes in summer and I am completely paranoid of snakes, I havnt been there as yet for summer but no doubt they may appear soon as today was 27c, so I will be walking with very loud steps soon and could you please scan that pic that you refered to of the concert, I would love to see it and I dont know if yu bought it, but I will scan it one day soon but I have a great pic of Bono as Macphisto that was on the front page of the Brisbane Sunday Mail newspaper the day after the concert- it shows Mac with his arms outstretched and open and he is holding a rose and there are droplets of rain on him- it is so nice and everytime I look at it I am reminded of that wonderful night back in 93:)

Bloody hell you pacifists are nuts!!!

Cass, people like you have all my deepest respect. I cannot bring myself to love something that is an abomination of nature. 8 legs, no legs. They deserve to die. As quickly as possible. I am so unbelievably terrified of spiders, this thread like many of you guys, is enough to scare the absolute crap out of me.

Where I grew up sounds as bad as where you guys are Oz and Cass. Living in the Blue Mountains was not idyliic like all the tourists make out to be. The place is absolutely crawling with things lying in wait to kill you. The onset of summer was always ruined by the familiar fear of red backs, white tails, blue mountains funnel webs, sydney funnel webs over recent years, red bellies, yellow bellies, browns, king browns, you name it. God I'm feeling things crawl up my legs as I type. I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread! Once after finding about the 3rd steroid enhanced huntsmen in my bedroom in one week, I finally blew it and marched out to the garage and said "dad, you are taking this selley's no more gaps and sealing up my window". Known for my insanity over spiders he didnt argue but remarked at the end it was probably a fire hazard to seal the window so completely. (another joy of living in the Aussie bush :rolleyes: ) I said bugger the fires, as it was a good 20 foot drop to the ground outside my window anyway and if there did happen to ever be a fire, it would likely approach from the bush outside said window and if I chose to jump I would break my neck anyway.

I think, or hope rather, I have cured this spider problem, by moving to a very residential area just at the foot of the mountains. Spiders are not anywhere near as common in these parts as they are up the road. That being said, last summer I went for a bit of a gander at the lovely day from my backyard and came face to face with a big arse mofo'ing King Brown. Right there in my residential, urban planned backyard! Frozen in fear was an understatement. I have never been so petrified in my whole life. We had a bit of a staring contest, and even if I could have moved, I am glad I didnt as all I could think was 'these bastards will attack, they attack!'. It was about 1.8 metres long too. To cut along story short, it eventually slithered round to the front and went up the road a bit, but I did what Khanada does and locked all the doors just in case it knew how to open them.

Re: I used to be scared of Spiders....

Ali Rose said:
NOW I"M INSANELY TERRIFIED OF THEM.

I had a much worse incident about a month ago. ....

I was outside around 10 locking up my car. I had to put the top up for the night so I sat in my car to do so. Then I see a big Spider crawl across my dash toward me. I scream for my Dad and he brushes it out the door and I think thats that.

So a minute later i'm up in my room chatting with y'all and i have a tickle on top of my head. i go to scratch and theres SOMETHING THERE. I feel it and unsuccessfully try to rip whatever it is from my hair, then run downstairs blindly yelling for dad again, screaming "THERES SOMETHING IN MY HAIR!!!! HELP!" He grabs it and flings it to the floor and sure enough, BIG spider. He can't find it so I go to get a flashlight and a minute later i feel a tickle in my pants leg.

At this point i'm in Panic mode so I grab and squeeze that part up by my pocket, then proceed to rip my pants off (yes right in front of my dad-I was totally nutso at that point. I didn't care) and shook them out. I checked inside and sure enough there was some bug guts on the inside of my pants where i squished. :scream: Never did find the remnants of that damn spider. I swear I didn't sleep that night. I was positive he was gonna just curl up and sleep next to me on my pillow.

I say KILL the bastard. All Spiders must die. you have to kill it. A spider I see is a dead spider. I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM......

This incident has left me insanely frightened of spiders, anything such as fuzz on the floor which resembles a spider, even a hair brushing me now freaks me out. I now need psychological help, like seriously. :banghead: :scream:

ali, that is seriously fucked up :tsk: i hope never to experience that in my life time ever. damn, that is too freaky. so sorry you had to go thru that

Angela...........:laugh: :lol: :laugh:

cass.....:coocoo:

*hugs MN and its fairly small, non-poisonous spiders*

Ours can't quite open doors...:lol:

update on the spider saga- I havnt seen it today, but then again I think that they only like to come out at night, so I went and did some shopping today and bought some fly and insect killer spray so if it does appear again I am well prepared, but I would like to come up with a better way of doing this- I really dont want to kill them and Angela your story with the brown snake, man o man I would of been a nervous wreak for weeks after that- I have seen three snakes in my lifetime- a little carpet, a reb belly black and I swear what must of been the worlds biggest carpet snake stretched across the length of a dirt road I was driving along a few years back and all three incidents were scary and the worst thing is where my Dad lives- he lives on 1000 acres of bush just north of the coast and it is snake heaven- his last dog even died from a taipan bite- needless to say I dont visit him much out there....but I too have had a few close encounters with these scary animals once with a spider that crawled up my school blouse- I was in year 11 on my way to music class after lunch and I picked my bag up and placed it on my hip to get some books out and there must of been a spider that was on my bag and then it crawled up my shirt and I was standing in the doorway talking to someone and with our school blouses being white and it was a sunny summery day my teacher asked me what the silhouete was off on my shirt and I looked down my blouse and there I see this huntsman- not huge but not small either hanging on the front of my bra, I didn't freak that much but quickly ran to the toilets and took my top off and watched as the spider then hung about on my shoulder and then arm, after that I was quite shakey...

another scary incident was one time when I was camping and it involved a big, big goanna- you know the ones that are about a metre plus in length and they kinda resemble smaller Komodo dragons...anyway there was a heap of us camping and we had seen this goanna cruising about and they dont really bother you that much and we were in his area, so I am sitting in my little two man tnet- the kind with only one entry and exit and I hear this rustling about out near the front of my tent and then the goanna walks past and sticks his head into my tent- if the thing would of come all the way in it would have easily of taken up one length of the tent!!! I just froze and thankfully it just poked its head out and kept on walking- I was so scared.....anyway the joys of creepy crawlies:)

Ali girl, I wouldn't be surprised if you said you passed out from that! Argh crawling through your hair is ...argh...
Hey Oz is it just an urban legend that you should never run over a snake in your car? You hear these crazy arsed stories about them getting caught up in the engine bay and wont necessarily be dead...and can slide through to the inside of the car and stuff...
I'm freaking out again! The biggest lizard I've ever seen is just your regular old blue tongue. Nothing close to a metre in length!

I think I may move to where Ali Rose lives. Sounds nice and safe there...

:uhoh:

oh do I have some photos I wished I had scanned.:laugh:
Before I had dogs, we had huge goannas wandering through the place at will. When my first son was newborn, my slightly odd neighbour suddenly started running around the outside of the house. I didn't see what he was doing and he came in holding a huge hissing goanna by the tail. He and hub thought it would be hilarious to get my precious new born baby out of his basinettte and hold him up for a photo next to the goanna. I must have complied because I obviously took the photo. The goanna is easily twice as big as the baby.

Actaully my other neighbours mum is from the Sunshine Coast Aurora. She is a reiki healer and some sort of psychic. She thinks there is a powerful goanna dreaming negative male energy in the gully where I live, some sort of sorrow left behind from tribal aboriginal days. I would not be surprised, this area had a very high tribal population pre-white contact and we have found tools and grinding grooves nearby. Someone spent a lot of time here a long long time ago.That is a bit sad, but I have worked with it and don't feel too perturbed by that idea.Anytime I have the opportunity I ask the elders for advice and they say, so much has changed and my heart is good, so it's OK to be in male areas. I hope so.

Did you live in Mudjimba? I think I have heard you mention it. My niece taught at the Nambour High School for her first 2 years out of Uni. She lived at Mudjimba and LOVED it. It would be funny to find you had known her.

anyway...on a roll..I used to laugh during the first few years we lived here and visited neighbours. The conversations went form politics to religion to INSECTS..everytime!!!they really are essential ,but can give you grief..........
neighbours short rhyme

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a peach
I cut down all my stone fruit trees because of not wanting to use fruit fly chemicals and ARGHHHH!! it was warm last night and the monolyptus beetles were on the move, they can destroy a crop overnight... woops, got started again!
creatures great and small:heart:

PS: I wonder what the current extent of the fire ant territory is? Now they sound seriously scary. They can kill a child . Actually I bought some bananas form my local store keeper yesterday and got home and noticed a HUGE horrible Brisbane cockroach in the bag!!UGH!!! where's that spray Aurora!!! Cockroaches i HATE, even if they shall inherit the earth one day!!!So I must be careful about bringing home plants and soil from QLD. I would not like to import fire ants.

Peace...until someone mentions critters again:love:

PS: I can't resist attaching a pic.
Monty Python, He lives in the ceiling, He is a baby compared to the one that lives up in the rocks behind the house. You can only see about half his length in the pic:DI haven't seen him all winter, he always reappears bigger and glossier than ever. My dog lets me know when he is on the move. We call Gusto a "German Crocweiller Snake Hound" he has a unique bark for snakes, lizards or echidnas...it's the echidnas that really get him going...
CASS!!!! shut up!!!:banghead:

Attachments

• monty2.13.2001.jpg
    monty2.13.2001.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 24
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: @ the replies to this thread. sorry, this thread is too funny! even though i hate spiders and other creepy crawlies, these stories cracked me up!!

ps- another way to kill them is to wack them with a rolled up newspaper! it always works! or you could get one of your guy friends to come over and kill it. guys don't seem to be scared of bugs... :shrug:

souLnation2002 said:
[B or you could get one of your guy friends to come over and kill it. guys don't seem to be scared of bugs... :shrug: [/B]

You know I was only just resently mentioning my spider incident to a male friend of mine and I was asking him what was the best thing to do in these situations and he said the best thing to use is a boyfriend- so there you go I need to get a boyfriend- lol!!!!

and Cass, how amazing I actually went to Nambour High School for year 11 & 12, I finished in 1995 so maybe I might know of your niece and I dont or havn't lived in Mudjimba from where I currently live in Coolum, Mudjimba is only about 10ks south and by the way that snake pic is terryifying- yuk!!!!!:eek:

souLnation2002 said:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: @ the replies to this thread. sorry, this thread is too funny! even though i hate spiders and other creepy crawlies, these stories cracked me up!!

:grumpy: :mad:

Mine WASN'T funny. I am emotionally wounded for life.:grumpy:

I guess its good to know someones day is brightened partially due to me. ;)

A friend recently woke up one morning to find a cockroach crawling across her boyfriend's back. She ended up breaking up with him and he moved out.

The irony here is that HER father owns an extermination business...

(PS - this is not an urban legend...)

Back
Top Bottom