My city of ruins..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oliveu2cm

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I just read an incredibly stirring and emotional article in NYT online about 9/11.. accounts of people there, people who died, people they left behind. 9/11 is coming up again and I know it is going to be a harrowing experience for all of us.

At first i wasn't sure how I felt about Bruce making an album about this, but I trusted him and was willing to listen.

And I don't know what I'd do right now without hearing that album, and I think that all the people it affected he has offered a hand of comfort, and I'm just at this moment really grateful to hear this music, because it was an incredible thing and.. yeah. i like this album a lot, for many many reasons.

with these hands..

Amazing song...

Funny how a song he wrote for the downfall of Asbury Park turned into a prayer for so many people after 9/11.

My City of Ruins

There's a blood red circle
On the cold dark ground
And the rain is falling down
The church door's thrown open
I can hear the organ's song
But the congregation's gone
My city of ruins
My city of ruins

Now the sweet bells of mercy
Drift through the evening trees
Young men on the corner
Like scattered leaves
The boarded up windows
The empty streets
While my brother's down on his knees
My city of ruins
My city of ruins

Come on rise up! Come on rise up!

Now there's tears on the pillow
Darlin' where we slept
And you took my heart when you left
Without your sweet kiss
My soul is lost, my friend
Tell me how do I begin again?
My city's in ruins
My city's in ruins

Now with these hands
With these hands
With these hands
With these hands
I pray Lord
With these hands
With these hands
I pray for the strength, Lord
With these hands
With these hands
I pray for the faith, Lord
With these hands
With these hands
I pray for your love, Lord
With these hands
With these hands
With these hands
With these hands
I pray for your love, Lord
With these hands
With these hands
I pray for the faith, Lord
With these hands
With these hands

Come on, rise up!
Come on, rise up!

oliveu2cm said:
At first i wasn't sure how I felt about Bruce making an album about this, but I trusted him and was willing to listen.

this is exactly how i felt. after listening to that album a million times i've decided that on one could do 9/11 justice like bruce. he covered it. he touched on every emotion people were going through - fear, heartbreak, anger, strength - with complete class. no one could do it better. that album is truly a masterpiece.

Screaming Flower said:

this is exactly how i felt. after listening to that album a million times i've decided that on one could do 9/11 justice like bruce. he covered it. he touched on every emotion people were going through - fear, heartbreak, anger, strength - with complete class. no one could do it better. that album is truly a masterpiece.

exactly. he did an honor by writing this music, and writing music in the vein it's supposed to be written- not to brag about riches or threaten people's lives or degrade women (ETC) but rather to comfort, to share, to express all the emotions Screaming Flower mentioned above. And especially about this day, when you feel Everything at once. It really is amazing.

I am in love with this latest album, and I think the songs work because they are timeless, yes we put them in the context of 9/11 as we should since they are healing songs, but years from now, if someone gave the rising a listen, the songs would still be just as valid and moving since the references are kept fairly general.

It is just an amazing album, I haven't stopped listening to it since I got it.

FishNeedsABicycle said:
I am in love with this latest album, and I think the songs work because they are timeless, yes we put them in the context of 9/11 as we should since they are healing songs, but years from now, if someone gave the rising a listen, the songs would still be just as valid and moving since the references are kept fairly general.

It is just an amazing album, I haven't stopped listening to it since I got it.

Want to experience that album live. LOOOVETH IT. Joost bc of my magic :shifty: I got a copy of the album a week before it came out...... best thing I've heard in a very long time. Very appropriate, very Bruce, very rock n roll. Just good stuff. First 5 star album :tongue: GIVE THE MAN A FRIGGIN GRAMMY

jezebel said:

:up: ditto :up:

My City of Ruins live: amazing :yes:

very emotional and powerful live -- it was my favorite moment in the concert, which surprised me

Back
Top Bottom