My Bloody Valentine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
Any fans of this old group? I started thinking about them again today, and pulled out "Loveless." What an utterly strange, but cool album!

Melon

Never quite hit me as they have hit some... but I have enjoyed them a decently. One of these days perhaps it will click into place.

I think "Loveless," in particular, works if you're disillusioned. When I was happier, it didn't seem to click with me as well. Needless to say, it's one of my favorite albums right now!

The track, "To Here Knows When," is fantastic. I've never heard anything like it.

Melon

Last edited:
I think that My Bloody Valentine are quite wonderful...I only wish that the albums would be re-mastered and whatnot.

I don't think that either act is NEAR perfect, but if you dug on the Valentine, then you might also dig on both M83 and Ulrich Schnauss. There you go. Rock'n'roll.

I picked up 'Loveless' a month or two ago, I've REALLY loved it.

It's extremely beautiful and extremely unique, GREAT stuff. :up:

I've wondered how their other album is too. I wouldnt mind picking it up sometime.

If you shout... said:
I think that My Bloody Valentine are quite wonderful...I only wish that the albums would be re-mastered and whatnot.

I don't think that either act is NEAR perfect, but if you dug on the Valentine, then you might also dig on both M83 and Ulrich Schnauss. There you go. Rock'n'roll.

I've heard some Ulrich Schnauss, but I thought of him more as "downtempo." Or maybe he does more work I'm not familiar with? The only track of his I know is "Nobody's Home," and I really liked it. I'll have to check out M83. I've never heard of them.

But I actually love the fact that "Loveless" is not remastered. I love the distortion and the "analog" sound to it. I think if it were digitally remastered, it would lose some of its brilliance, IMO.

Melon

dude I haven't listened to that album in years.....it's always very popular at my radio station though, I see it on my staff's playlists all the time. It's one of those albums that indie kids will be talking up 20 years from now, like Daydream Nation. I don't think it will ever be uncool--it's "cool" to be unhappy.

it is a great album though.

Then you don't know enough indie kids who compete over who hates their parents more. If you don't hate your parents and have not recently pondered suicide, you're not welcome in the "club." Being happy is uncool to these people.

The preceding is a brief account of my experience with indie kids. I'll take punks and skins any day.

"Loveless" is still a kickass album.

Kieran McConville said:
It's not 'cool' to be unhappy. It's just common. Common experience makes for resonant music.

Tennispunk, I can only repeat what I said.

I don't care what 'indie kids' do or don't think.

The fact remains that unhappiness is common to pretty much anyone at some stage, and thus music that distills that shouldn't just be seen as 'cool-person' music. Get it?

Believe it or not, I agree with Kieran. Unhappiness is prevalent in music from ALL genres. To say it's specific to indie music (or any genre) is absolutely ridiculous. That's like saying adolescent angst is specific only to punk music.

Regardless, My Bloody Valentine are/were great.

Some people might find this interesting. This is from Hot Press in May 2004 regarding MBV:

THE EDGE: "My Bloody Valentine were a huge influence on me during the Achtung Baby/ZOO TV period. I suppose we'd been through our back-to-the roots incarnation on Rattle n Hum, and to discover this music which sounded so modern and abrasive WAS really inspiring to me; it was a totally fresh way of approaching the guitar. I actually didn't know they were Irish when I first heard them. I'd been listening to some of the early stuff, and raving about it to various people, and one day my brother, Dick, said to me, "I've heard them, they're from Dublin." I was just like, "Really?!" They were head and shoulders above a lot of what was going on at the time."

Interesting, eh?

Melon

melon said:
Some people might find this interesting. This is from Hot Press in May 2004 regarding MBV:

THE EDGE: "My Bloody Valentine were a huge influence on me during the Achtung Baby/ZOO TV period. I suppose we'd been through our back-to-the roots incarnation on Rattle n Hum, and to discover this music which sounded so modern and abrasive WAS really inspiring to me; it was a totally fresh way of approaching the guitar. I actually didn't know they were Irish when I first heard them. I'd been listening to some of the early stuff, and raving about it to various people, and one day my brother, Dick, said to me, "I've heard them, they're from Dublin." I was just like, "Really?!" They were head and shoulders above a lot of what was going on at the time."

Interesting, eh?

Melon

Very cool, thanks for sharing that, Melon.

Do you have their other full length? I've been considering getting it lately because of how much I've been enjoying Loveless.

I've been interested in getting it, but it is pretty different from "Loveless." With that, it is about as critically acclaimed as "Loveless." Someday...

Melon

I picked up 'Isn't Anything' last week. I've been enjoying it so far. While it is different from 'Loveless', it's still very similar. Some of the songs seem like they could fit with 'Loveless' material, some don't. The lyrics/vocals are much more prevalent and audible on this album, but they're still very much in the background compared to most any other group. I find this album to be much more of a 'rock' record compared to 'Loveless', but definitely shows what direction they were going in. Over all, I'm VERY glad I picked it up. I've really been digging MBV!

melon said:

You all should check out the MBV music videos from "Isn't Anything" and "Loveless."

http://www.planetjesterz.com/mbv/videos.php

It's as if U2's Zoo TV tour just ripped off of their video art. What an absolutely great band.

Melon

melon said:

You all should check out the MBV music videos from "Isn't Anything" and "Loveless."

http://www.planetjesterz.com/mbv/videos.php

It's as if U2's Zoo TV tour just ripped off of their video art. What an absolutely great band.

Melon

Holy crap, that is an amazing link!!!! Havent watched all the videos yet, but I completely see what you're saying. I think you may definitely have a case with this. Also, check out the music section of that site, some Peel sessions and other rarities! Can't wait to check it all out.

Bringing this thread back makes me remember that I totally need to just buy both the Glider and Tremelo EP's from Amazon. :up:

Wow, 'Swallow' is amazing. I DEFINITELY need to buy those EP's now.

:love: MBV :love:

u2popmofo said:
Wow, 'Swallow' is amazing. I DEFINITELY need to buy those EP's now.

:love: MBV :love:

I just ordered them off of Amazon.com. I hear that "Tremolo" is the more amazing of the two.

Melon

Oh I forgot to mention, there's a pre-"Isn't Anything" album called "Ecstasy and Wine" that I listened to the other day. Well, not an "album" in the traditional sense. I think some EPs were thrown together on an album after the fact.

Anyway, talk about sounding like "Psychocandy"-era "Jesus and Mary Chain"!

Melon

Back
Top Bottom