My Bloody Valentine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
melon said:

I just ordered them off of Amazon.com.

Pretty funny, I ordered them last night right after saying I needed to get them. I'm looking forward to getting them, hopefully it doesnt take long.

You know, it took me several listens, but I'm really into "Isn't Anything" now. It's no "Loveless," granted, but it's a genuinely great album all its own. And I love it for it's really LOUD moments!

Melon

Yeah, it's definitely a great album. More of a rock-oriented record, but it still shows a lot of the ideas and qualities that would later make Loveless so amazing. Both are great. Really, really great. :up:

Anyone else feel like MBV needs to be played at extremely loud volumes? I dont know what it is, I just always blast it if I'm listening to them. I just have to drown everything else out and let their music surround me. Good times. :up:

melon said:
I just got Tremolo and Glider yesterday. Great stuff!

Melon

I dont even think mine have shipped yet!!! Did you order straight from Amazon, or one of the other independant sellers? I ordered them both from some guy in Texas, maybe that's where I messed up....

Oh well, even if they'd arrived, I wouldnt be able to listen to them (in the Philippines right now). Looking forward to them both, I really liked 'Swallow' from that music video. :up:

Gawd, make me feel ancient people!! :huh:

Ah, my youth, spent in dodgy clubs, zonked on vodka, dancing to MBV, Ride, Pixies, Jesus and Mary Chain, Smiths, the House of Love (now there's a band to discover, folks) AND the Stone Roses. That's when I wasn't staring at my shoes.

Gah, I'm off to stab a toothpick into my eye (or find my Smiths tape, same thing). :|

u2popmofo said:
I dont even think mine have shipped yet!!! Did you order straight from Amazon, or one of the other independant sellers? I ordered them both from some guy in Texas, maybe that's where I messed up....

Yeah...I ordered them directly from Amazon.com. That's why I have them. :sexywink:

Melon

Just got to chime in here that LOVELESS is a terrific record. I particular like the opener, To Here Knows When, and Blown A Wish. I also like Kevin Shield's work on the soundtrack to Lost in Translation, featuring some Shields solo stuff and some classic MBV. I still need to get Isn't Anything. In the meantime, I'm listening to MBV's sister band Primal Scream, where Shields now is a quasi-fulltime member.

Got my copies today. Listened to the Tremolo EP, and listening to the Glider EP for the first time right now, awesome. I really like the outro for 'To Here Knows When' on this version far more than the album version, and all the new songs (new to me) are just great. 'Glider' (the song) is crazy, very cool.

On a related tangent, how do you guys feel about Ride? I heard the song 'Vapour Trail' last week, and havent been able to get enough of it since then. Their 'Nowhere' album is now at the top of my "buy ASAP" list. Let me know any info or feelings you may have about them.

Last edited:
Because lately I buy everything everyone I like says is good, I picked this up on a whim when I saw it at a Super Saver price during my latest fruitless hunt through the M's for Manic Street Preachers, remembering both this thread and a comment I came across recently by Sofia Coppola about using Kevin Shields in the Lost in Translation soundtrack and how obsessed she was with Loveless.

At first I thought something was wrong with my car CD player because the first CD I bought, Hope of the States, wouldn't play at all, and then My Bloody Valentine was so distorted I thought it wasn't playing right, lol. Then I realized, oh, this is how they sound. I've given it about 4 listens and I haven't really connected with it yet. Like someone else said, I wish it were remastered. It's very hard for me to listen to a lot of things from that era, like early R.E.M. for example, for the same reason. But it grows on me a little with each listen. I'll keep at it.

joyfulgirl said:
fruitless hunt through the M's for Manic Street Preachers

:angry: @ record stores for not carrying more Manics, or any at all, for that matter

Back on topic, I should listen to more MBV. I'm looking at you, mofo. :sexywink:

joyfulgirl said:
Because lately I buy everything everyone I like says is good, I picked this up on a whim when I saw it at a Super Saver price during my latest fruitless hunt through the M's for Manic Street Preachers, remembering both this thread and a comment I came across recently by Sofia Coppola about using Kevin Shields in the Lost in Translation soundtrack and how obsessed she was with Loveless.

At first I thought something was wrong with my car CD player because the first CD I bought, Hope of the States, wouldn't play at all, and then My Bloody Valentine was so distorted I thought it wasn't playing right, lol. Then I realized, oh, this is how they sound. I've given it about 4 listens and I haven't really connected with it yet. Like someone else said, I wish it were remastered. It's very hard for me to listen to a lot of things from that era, like early R.E.M. for example, for the same reason. But it grows on me a little with each listen. I'll keep at it.

Give it some time. Loveless truly is one of the top 5 albums of the 90s and one of the best in all of rock history.

joyfulgirl said:

At first I thought something was wrong with my car CD player because the first CD I bought, Hope of the States, wouldn't play at all, and then My Bloody Valentine was so distorted I thought it wasn't playing right, lol. Then I realized, oh, this is how they sound.

Hahahahha :up:

I had done a lot of reading on them before purchasing Loveless (and had heard 3 songs from 'Loveless' also, otherwise I'm sure I would have been in the same boat. Sometimes if I havent listened to them for a while, I'll find myself messing with my headphones/volume to try to hear the lyrics.....then I remember what I'm listening to. :wink:

They're definitely considerably different than most people are used to, so dont fret if you arent hooked immediately! Give it some time, and think to yourself "this came out in 1991". It's really amazing to me that it's nearly 15 years old, and it sounds more "modern"/inventive than so much of what you hear today. Oh yeah, try to listen to it fairly loudly too (that's what I do, and it always works for me!) :wink:

Incredible album, it's really affected the kind of music/genres I listen to lately.

u2popmofo said:
On a related tangent, how do you guys feel about Ride? I heard the song 'Vapour Trail' last week, and havent been able to get enough of it since then. Their 'Nowhere' album is now at the top of my "buy ASAP" list. Let me know any info or feelings you may have about them.

Yes, yes, do listen to Ride, a decidedly underappreciated band (in relation to people like Stone Roses, Pixies etc). Actually I think that whole era of Creation Records is probably worth a listen, if you're able to find say compilations etc. Some is quite "shoegazer-y" but that's where Ride is different. They take atmospherics and throw in 60's style guitar and play it LOUD!!!!! I like all their stuff, their later stuff became more psychedelic as Andy Bell went off on one too many trips, but still worth a listen.

Also I wholeheartedly recommend listening to House of Love. Also a Creation band of the late 80's, they had chiming guitars like no other (sorry Edge, but!). I recommend their first album "House of Love" or the singles "Destroy the Heart" and "Christine" (which was No. 1 single as voted by NME readers in 1988 I believe).

I luv'em all!

while i appreciate the innovative guitarwork and the influence on much of the alt-rock of the 90s (smashing pumpkins comes to mind), i don't understand all the adoration this album gets. maybe i need to listen to it some more.

Back
Top Bottom