My Bloody Valentine - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2004, 11:44 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:35 AM

Old 12-10-2004, 05:00 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:35 PM
Tennispunk, I can only repeat what I said.

I don't care what 'indie kids' do or don't think.

The fact remains that unhappiness is common to pretty much anyone at some stage, and thus music that distills that shouldn't just be seen as 'cool-person' music. Get it?

Old 12-10-2004, 05:31 PM   #18
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 10:35 PM
Believe it or not, I agree with Kieran. Unhappiness is prevalent in music from ALL genres. To say it's specific to indie music (or any genre) is absolutely ridiculous. That's like saying adolescent angst is specific only to punk music.

Regardless, My Bloody Valentine are/were great.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:03 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:35 PM
Some people might find this interesting. This is from Hot Press in May 2004 regarding MBV:

THE EDGE: "My Bloody Valentine were a huge influence on me during the Achtung Baby/ZOO TV period. I suppose we'd been through our back-to-the roots incarnation on Rattle n Hum, and to discover this music which sounded so modern and abrasive WAS really inspiring to me; it was a totally fresh way of approaching the guitar. I actually didn't know they were Irish when I first heard them. I'd been listening to some of the early stuff, and raving about it to various people, and one day my brother, Dick, said to me, "I've heard them, they're from Dublin." I was just like, "Really?!" They were head and shoulders above a lot of what was going on at the time."

Interesting, eh?

Melon
Old 12-17-2004, 03:18 AM   #20
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Some people might find this interesting. This is from Hot Press in May 2004 regarding MBV:

THE EDGE: "My Bloody Valentine were a huge influence on me during the Achtung Baby/ZOO TV period. I suppose we'd been through our back-to-the roots incarnation on Rattle n Hum, and to discover this music which sounded so modern and abrasive WAS really inspiring to me; it was a totally fresh way of approaching the guitar. I actually didn't know they were Irish when I first heard them. I'd been listening to some of the early stuff, and raving about it to various people, and one day my brother, Dick, said to me, "I've heard them, they're from Dublin." I was just like, "Really?!" They were head and shoulders above a lot of what was going on at the time."

Interesting, eh?

Melon
Very cool, thanks for sharing that, Melon.

Do you have their other full length? I've been considering getting it lately because of how much I've been enjoying Loveless.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:09 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

I've been interested in getting it, but it is pretty different from "Loveless." With that, it is about as critically acclaimed as "Loveless." Someday...

Melon
Old 01-09-2005, 12:40 AM   #22
Blue Meth Addict

I picked up 'Isn't Anything' last week. I've been enjoying it so far. While it is different from 'Loveless', it's still very similar. Some of the songs seem like they could fit with 'Loveless' material, some don't. The lyrics/vocals are much more prevalent and audible on this album, but they're still very much in the background compared to most any other group. I find this album to be much more of a 'rock' record compared to 'Loveless', but definitely shows what direction they were going in. Over all, I'm VERY glad I picked it up. I've really been digging MBV!
Old 02-05-2005, 02:08 PM   #23
Refugee

Local Time: 05:35 AM
MVB
Old 04-30-2005, 06:31 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

You all should check out the MBV music videos from "Isn't Anything" and "Loveless."

http://www.planetjesterz.com/mbv/videos.php

It's as if U2's Zoo TV tour just ripped off of their video art. What an absolutely great band.

Melon
Old 04-30-2005, 06:55 PM   #25
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:

You all should check out the MBV music videos from "Isn't Anything" and "Loveless."

http://www.planetjesterz.com/mbv/videos.php

It's as if U2's Zoo TV tour just ripped off of their video art. What an absolutely great band.

Melon

Holy crap, that is an amazing link!!!! Havent watched all the videos yet, but I completely see what you're saying. I think you may definitely have a case with this. Also, check out the music section of that site, some Peel sessions and other rarities! Can't wait to check it all out.

Bringing this thread back makes me remember that I totally need to just buy both the Glider and Tremelo EP's from Amazon.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:08 PM   #26
Blue Meth Addict

Wow, 'Swallow' is amazing. I DEFINITELY need to buy those EP's now.

MBV
Old 04-30-2005, 07:59 PM   #27
Refugee

Local Time: 05:35 AM
"Only Shallow" is a massive album opener..
Old 04-30-2005, 08:28 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Normal indiekids are so 2003

Nothing makes me feel "old" when someone calls this an "old" band
Old 05-01-2005, 09:22 AM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo
Wow, 'Swallow' is amazing. I DEFINITELY need to buy those EP's now.

MBV
I just ordered them off of Amazon.com. I hear that "Tremolo" is the more amazing of the two.

Melon
Old 05-01-2005, 09:46 AM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Oh I forgot to mention, there's a pre-"Isn't Anything" album called "Ecstasy and Wine" that I listened to the other day. Well, not an "album" in the traditional sense. I think some EPs were thrown together on an album after the fact.

Anyway, talk about sounding like "Psychocandy"-era "Jesus and Mary Chain"!

Melon