My Beatles Compilations...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
I have made three Beatles' compilations - one for early Beatles, one for middle Beatles, and one for late Beatles - with each compilation fitting on one 80-minute disc.

A few notes before I show my compilations:

1.You will see that the running time for the early Beatles disc is considerably shorter than the other two(which take up pretty much their whole respective discs). The songs were just shorter in that period, and I wasn't about to put twenty minutes worth of songs that didn't deserve to be next to the greats just to fill up the disc.

2.Yes, I used the short version of Hey Jude on the late Beatles disc. I had. It was the only way to fit everything I wanted to fit on to it.

3.I tried hard to establish a good song-to-song flow on these compilations. I didn't want any jarring transitions. That was one of the two big criteria for my running orders, the other being that I wanted to stack the biggest of the big hits late in each compilation, to give each compilation a feeling a building up to said hits.

On with it...

The Beatles 1963-1965
Please Please Me, With The Beatles, A Hard Day's Night, Beatles For Sale, Help, Past Masters Vol. 1

1.Help!
2.No Reply
3.Any Time At All
4.I Saw Her Standing There
5.The Night Before
6.I Feel Fine
7.I've Just Seen A Face
8.You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
9.If I Fell
10.P.S. I Love You
11.I'm Happy Just To Dance With You
12.Things We Said Today
13.You're Gonna Lose That Girl
14.Love Me Do
15.There's A Place
16.She Loves You
17.From Me To You
18.Twist And Shout
19.I Want To Hold Your Hand
20.Please Please Me
21.A Hard Day's Night
22.Ticket To Ride
23.Eight Days A Week
24.Can't Buy Me Love
25.All My Loving
26.I'll Be Back
27.Yesterday

Running Time: 62:41

The Beatles, 1965-1967
Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Magical Mystery Tour, Past Masters Vol. 2

1.Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
2.With A Little Help From My Friends
3.Drive My Car
4.Taxman
5.Rain
6.I'm Only Sleeping
7.She Said She Said
8.And Your Bird Can Sing
9.Think For Yourself
10.We Can Work It Out
11.Nowhere Man
12.Girl
13.Norwegian Wood
14.Lovely Rita
15.Getting Better
16.Penny Lane
17.For No One
18.She's Leaving Home
19.Eleanor Rigby
20.Strawberry Fields Forever
21.In My Life
22.Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
23.Hello, Goodbye
24.All You Need Is Love
25.I Am The Walrus
26.Tomorrow Never Knows
27.A Day In The Life

Running Time: 78:49

The Beatles, 1968-1970
White Album, Abbey Road, Let It Be, Past Masters Vol.2

1.Come Together
2.Helter Skelter
3.Back In The USSR
4.Dear Prudence
5.Blackbird
6.Across The Universe(Past Masters 2 Version)
7.Here Comes The Sun
8.Julia
9.While My Guitar Gently Weeps
10.I Want You(She's So Heavy)
11.Happiness Is A Warm Gun
12.Revolution(Past Masters 2 Version)
13.Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
14.You Never Give Me Your Money
15.She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
16.Two Of Us(Let It Be...Naked Version)
17.Something
18.Let It Be
19.The Long And Winding Road
20.Golden Slumbers
21.Carry That Weight
22.The End
23.Hey Jude(Short Version - 5:09) - Yes, I placed it after 'The End'. It's like a coda, like at a live show, an encore. I wanted the 'na na na na, na na na na, Heeeeey Jude' fade out to be the last thing you hear on the disc.

Running Time: 79:59

So, what do you think?

Last edited:
I Need You would have been nice to have had on it. Hugely overlooked little pearl.

overall, I really like it :up:

but where's Got to Get You Into My Life, Get Back, I'm Looking Through You, Lady Madonna, Michelle, and Day Tripper?

and the recent Beatles releases Real Love and Free as a Bird are pretty good too

LemonMacPhisto said:
overall, I really like it :up:

but where's Got to Get You Into My Life, Get Back, I'm Looking Through You, Lady Madonna, Michelle, and Day Tripper?

and the recent Beatles releases Real Love and Free as a Bird are pretty good too

It's called time limits...I had one second to spare on the late Beatles compilation...Lady Madonna and Get Back had to be two of the casualties. There really isn't anything that I would cut to make room for them. Would you cut anything for them?

Everything else you mentioned would go on the middle Beatles compilation and I had 1:11 to spare on that. Not enogh room for any of them.

namkcuR said:

It's called time limits...I had one second to spare on the late Beatles compilation...Lady Madonna and Get Back had to be two of the casualties. There really isn't anything that I would cut to make room for them. Would you cut anything for them?

Everything else you mentioned would go on the middle Beatles compilation and I had 1:11 to spare on that. Not enogh room for any of them.

I'd cut I Want You (She's So Heavy), it's a good tune but I'd rather have Lady Madonna and Get Back.

as for the others, I haven't heard Girl, Taxman, And Your Bird Can Sing, and Think for Yourself. So I can't I really say.

and time limits :barf: that's why I dislike cds :wink:

LemonMacPhisto said:

I'd cut I Want You (She's So Heavy), it's a good tune but I'd rather have Lady Madonna and Get Back.

as for the others, I haven't heard Girl, Taxman, And Your Bird Can Sing, and Think for Yourself. So I can't I really say.

and time limits :barf: that's why I dislike cds :wink:

Oooh, see, I absolutely love I Want You(She's So Heavy). I thinmk it's an incredible song. I couldn't justify dropping an incredible song for two good-but-not-great(imo) songs.

As for the fact that you've never heard Girl, Taxman, And Your Birdcan Sing, and Think For Yourself...:shocked:

namkcuR said:

Oooh, see, I absolutely love I Want You(She's So Heavy). I thinmk it's an incredible song. I couldn't justify dropping an incredible song for two good-but-not-great(imo) songs.

As for the fact that you've never heard Girl, Taxman, And Your Birdcan Sing, and Think For Yourself...:shocked:

see, it boils down to personal taste, and I respect that :up:

I need to get those! :wink:

Good tracklisting. It's a daunting task, trying to make a "definative" Beatles CD, or 3. They had very little filler on their albums.

Without looking to check what the difference in time is to see if it would work, I'd personally have Get Back, a number one hit and one of their best known songs, on Disc 3 over Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, which to me isn't deserving. A nice enough track, but kind of silly - perhaps it's just me. :shrug:

I'd also consider the Let It Be...Naked version of Across The Universe, the best version of that around without the wildlife intro or the background singers.

phanan said:
Without looking to check what the difference in time is to see if it would work, I'd personally have Get Back, a number one hit and one of their best known songs, on Disc 3 over Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, which to me isn't deserving. A nice enough track, but kind of silly - perhaps it's just me. :shrug:

I'd also consider the Let It Be...Naked version of Across The Universe, the best version of that around without the wildlife intro or the background singers.

The whistling birds and background vocals are what make the Past Masters version of Across The Universe so orgasmically amazing :drool:

Ask Zoots. He'll tell you. :wink:

77 songs and still came up short.
Left out some great ones, brother.
It's hard, I know.
I'd struggle to make one as good as this.

Really, when you're young, you think the Beatles are surely overrated and then you find out they live up to the hype and more. Amazing really. 7 years of songs we are talking about......

namkcuR said:

The whistling birds and background vocals are what make the Past Masters version of Across The Universe so orgasmically amazing :drool:

:lol:

:yes: I had the ending of You Never Give Me Your Money segue into the Past Masters version of Across The Universe once and it worked beautifully because of those nature sounds. :drool:

nam, I like your list overall a lot but I would get rid of Girl (never liked it much) and put Lady Madonna in there instead.

Friday night arrives without a suitcase... :dance:

Zootlesque said:

:lol:

:yes: I had the ending of You Never Give Me Your Money segue into the Past Masters version of Across The Universe once and it worked beautifully because of those nature sounds. :drool:

nam, I like your list overall a lot but I would get rid of Girl (never liked it much) and put Lady Madonna in there instead.

Friday night arrives without a suitcase... :dance:

But Girl is on the second disc and Lady Madonna is from 1968, which means it needs to go on the third disc...

namkcuR said:

It's pleasant enough, but give me just John and the guitar anyday...

By the way, Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da is 3:08 in length, while the version of Get Back on the Let It Be album is 3:07. To me, it's a no brainer which one I put on.

And Zoot mentioned Girl - I'd have Got To Get You Into My Life on that second disc instead. There's about a three second difference in time...

looking back, I really liked this comp, but I'd like to make some song and order changes.

I don't wanna take away from it at all, just give my 2 cents.

Last edited:
The Beatles 1963-1965
Please Please Me, With the Beatles, A Hard Day's Night, Beatles for Sale, Help!, Past Masters Vol. 1

1. Help!
2. No Reply
3. Any Time at All
4. I Saw Her Standing There
5. The Night Before
6. I Feel Fine
7. I've Just Seen a Face
8. You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
9. If I Fell
10. P.S. I Love You
11. I Need You
12. I'm Happy Just to Dance With You
13. Things We Said Today
14. You're Going to Lose That Girl
15. Love Me Do
16. There's a Place
17. She Loves You
18. From Me to You
19. Twist and Shout
20. I Wanna Hold Your Hand
21. Day Tripper
22. Please Please Me
23. A Hard Day's Night
24. Ticket to Ride
25. Paperback Writer
26. Eight Days a Week
27. Can't Buy Me Love
28. All My Loving
29. I'll Be Back
30. Yesterday

The Beatles, 1965-1967
Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Magical Mystery Tour, Past Masters Vol. 2

1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
2. I'm Looking Through You
3. Taxman
4. Drive My Car
5. Rain
6. I'm Only Sleeping
7. She Said She Said
8. We Can Work It Out
9. Nowhere Man
10. Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
11. The Fool on the Hill
12. Lovely Rita
13. Getting Better
14. Got to Get You Into My Life
15. Penny Lane
16. For No One
17. She's Leaving Home
18. Eleanor Rigby
19. Strawberry Fields Forever
20. In My Life
21. Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds
22. Hello, Goodbye
23. All You Need is Love
24. Yellow Submarine
25. I Am the Walrus
26. Tomorrow Never Knows
27. A Day in the Life

The Beatles, 1968-1970
White Album, Abbey Road, Let It Be, Past Masters Vol. 2, Anthology 1, Let It Be... Naked

1. Come Together
2. Back in the U.S.S.R.
3. Revolution (Past Masters)
4. Helter Skelter
5. Free as a Bird
6. Dear Prudence
7. Blackbird
8. Across the Universe (Past Masters)
9. Because
10. Here Comes the Sun
11. Julia
12. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
13. Happiness is a Warm Gun
14. Get Back
15. Two of Us (Let It Be... Naked)
16. Something
17. Don't Let Me Down (Let It Be... Naked)
18. Let It Be
19. The Long and Winding Road
20. Golden Slumbers
21. Carry That Weight
22. The End
23. Hey Jude

Back
Top Bottom