My band's second album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
Just in case anyone is interested.

http://www.mediafire.com/?1guamte99ek

It was heavily influenced by Sonic Youth and Velvet Underground. The goal was to mix more melodic progressive rock elements with noisy avant garde guitar parts to make a unique sound. The finished product actually reminds me of Smashing Pumpkins' Siamese Dream in a lot of ways, particularly the guitar sound, which is absolutely huge.

Tell me what you think after you listen. :)

I hate mixing vocals so much. They're either too low, too high, or muffled or something else. :angry:

Any other comments?

Screwtape2 said:
You have a lot of talent but your voice doesn't come out. Your music isn't alive. I don't hear "you" in it. It is a good album but it lacks a voice. I hope that makes sense.

It's not terribly original, you mean? Perhaps I let my influences get the better of me. :hmm:

LemonMelon said:

It's not terribly original, you mean? Perhaps I let my influences get the better of me. :hmm:

No, what I mean is I never feel you in the record. Every artist has a signature sound. I never hear anything particularly creative and unique to you. You don't have a sound. That's not a terrible thing but something to consider in the future.

Screwtape2 said:

No, what I mean is I never feel you in the record. Every artist has a signature sound. I never hear anything particularly creative and unique to you. You don't have a sound. That's not a terrible thing but something to consider in the future.

Up to this point, I've avoided looking for a single "sound" in order to try out as many others as I can to see what works best for me. But thanks for the comment.

Some of the guitar work is really good, I can see the Sonic Youth influence. And I do like the avant direction in some tracks...

But to brutally honest the vocals do need work. Not only are they mixed too high, but if you are going for the Lou Reed not a perfect singer vibe that's cool but at least add a little reverb or chorus or something. They are too dry for this type of voice...

That been said, I really do see some great potential. Do you guys play a lot live?

Do you have the multitracks for a particular song sitting around? I'd like to have a go at mixing one for you, if possible :hyper:

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Some of the guitar work is really good, I can see the Sonic Youth influence. And I do like the avant direction in some tracks...

But to brutally honest the vocals do need work. Not only are they mixed too high, but if you are going for the Lou Reed not a perfect singer vibe that's cool but at least add a little reverb or chorus or something. They are too dry for this type of voice...

I definitely agree with the vocal criticism. I don't think I have a terrible voice or anything, not that's it's what you're insinuating, but the mix is terrible. More reverb is being used on the material I'm currently working on, and it's amazing how it really can make anything sound better. :wink:

That been said, I really do see some great potential. Do you guys play a lot live?

Thank you. We're practicing right now for some gigs in the spring. I think we'd go over a lot better live, since I obviously don't have a clue what I'm doing in the studio. :giggle:

Canadiens1160 said:
Do you have the multitracks for a particular song sitting around? I'd like to have a go at mixing one for you, if possible :hyper:

Actually, I do. How would I go about transfering those to you?

No, I wasn't insinuating you had a terrible voice...

Playing live always makes you better, so play live as much as you can, even if it's just open mics...

I've been trying for two years to get my own band going (and failing).

Hopefully I can try downloading some of your stuff.

Also, we have some new equipment to work with, including a better bass and a mic pre-amp, which should increase clarity.

The project going on at the moment, besides practicing for gigs, is a concept album about a teen who leaves home and begins recording but dies of a drug overdose, only to become famous when his tapes are later discovered. I like having a topic in front of me when I write, so the writing process has been rather simple.

phillyfan26 said:

Hopefully I can try downloading some of your stuff.

You've got me curious. What kind of music does your band play? :hmm:

By going, I mean started. I still haven't started one. Currently, it's just me, my lyrics, and my guitar.

I've talked separately to a pianist who's willing and a drummer who's willing, but I can't find a lead guitarist or bassist. Or a practice space.

Oh, OK. My mistake. :slant: I started out the same way. Now I have a bassist and know a drummer. I should get a second guitarist to fill out the sound a bit, and, of course, a producer. :wink:

Practice spaces are not cheap. My basement has pretty much the worst acoustics known to man, so that's out.

LemonMelon said:
Oh, OK. My mistake. :slant: I started out the same way. Now I have a bassist and know a drummer. I should get a second guitarist to fill out the sound a bit, and, of course, a producer. :wink:

Practice spaces are not cheap. My basement has pretty much the worst acoustics known to man, so that's out.

I know a lot of guitarists, but few who'd want to commit, if any. And the only bass player I know is in a band.

Yeah, I have the same problem. Even if I had a good basement for it, my family would never let me host a band.

I really, really want to start one, too. I've written well over a hundred songs, and I'd love the opportunity to develop them. Even more so, I want very badly to perform live.

phillyfan26 said:

I really, really want to start one, too. I've written well over a hundred songs, and I'd love the opportunity to develop them. Even more so, I want very badly to perform live.

Damn, son! :ohmy: I think I've written 46 since December 2005, and that's with help from others. You should definitely get out there and play...I want to do the same thing. :slant:

Well, I mean, a lot of it's shit, but yeah, I've been writing for about two years, and it has kind of added up.

I've been tempted now to just record an acoustic demo of some my songs, just to get a feel for the process and how to put it all together. I probably have 10-12 songs that are completely finished lyrically and musically.

What do you have that can record guitar/vocals? If you don't have a 4/8/16 track, the next best thing is a camcorder. Especially if all you're using is an acoustic guitar. You could always build a following on youtube or something. :wink:

I have nothing but a camcorder, but I have a friend who's a filmmaker who has a ton of sound recording equipment that actually could be used to record music. I was going to go to him and see if I could lay down a few songs to try out.

phillyfan26 said:

I share your pain :sad:

As for Disinfectant Trifecta...I like the guitar work... Cut Lip's rockin

But I agree with mixing the vocals lower they're a bit too high I think... And if you go and add reverb here's a tip DON'T GO CRAZY WITH IT... take it from someone who used to :wink:.... too much reverb just takes away from a song imo ... however just the right amount can add to it

Good luck with all your future music and shows :rockon:

:rockon: Thanks man.

Hope you, like Pfan, can get your band going. Believe it or not, the world can always use more music. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom