My annual really stupid tax question..... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2005, 12:06 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict
meegannie's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Norwich, England
Posts: 15,798
Local Time: 11:24 AM
My annual really stupid tax question..... I don't have to file any forms if I don't meet the minimum income threshold, right? If I'm required to show tax records for the past x number of years, and I wasn't required to file for 2004 because I didn't earn enough to require me to file, could that be a problem? Or do I just say 'no income earned in 2004'?

meegannie is offline  
Old 02-21-2005, 01:12 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
dandy's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: styrofoam peanut commune
Posts: 4,310
Local Time: 08:24 AM
ugh, taxes always make my head spin.

i filed for 2003 anyway, even though i was below the minimum amount--just to make sure my butt was covered. but that's canada, doesn't apply to an american living in the UK.


dandy is offline  
Old 02-21-2005, 03:42 PM   #3
love, blood, life
melon's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 06:24 AM
Just to note: If you had taxes withheld from that income, you should file anyway to get your taxes back.

Also: if your employer filed an income form (W2 in U.S.; haven't a clue what that is in the UK), you should file anyway.

melon is offline  
Old 02-21-2005, 05:11 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict
Liesje's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,563
Local Time: 07:24 AM
what's the minimum?
Liesje is offline  
Old 02-21-2005, 10:07 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict
meegannie's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Norwich, England
Posts: 15,798
Local Time: 11:24 AM
I didn't make enough last year to be taxed in the UK, so no taxes were withheld, and the US doesn't want you to attach any wage statement other than the W-2 (so I could basically just make up numbers, I guess ). I'm fine on UK taxes, but the US forms are annoying since they're little more than a formality.

I got the miminum filing requirements from the US Embassy's website ( ), but the IRS website says:

"If you are an unmarried dependent, you must file a tax return for 2004 if you have earned income of more than $4,850, unearned income of more than $800, or if your gross income is more than $800 and exceeds your earned income by more than $250. If part of your earned income is from tips, see Tax Topic 402, Tips .

Even if you do not have to file, you should file a federal income tax return to get money back if any of the following apply:
# You had income tax withheld from your pay.
# You qualify for the earned income credit.
# You qualify for the additional child tax credit.
Refer to Publication 501, Exemptions, Standard Deduction and Filing Information, for an explanation of the five exemption tests and filing requirement rules.

For additional information see Tax Information for Students"
meegannie is offline  

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright ©