My Ambient Music Tastes...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
Yup...while U2 has been taking its time on the new album, my music tastes have shifted. First, it shifted to electronic, and now it has shifted to who-knows-what. It's probably best described as ambient / shoegazer / "post-rock." I have to emphasize the "ambient," though, because that seems to be the unifying factor in my musical tastes these days.

Anyway, I just made a mix CD for someone, and here's the tracklist:

1) Stars of the Lid - Requiem for Dying Mothers, Pt. 1
2) Windy and Carl - Consciousness
3) Labradford - David
4) Jessica Bailiff - Disappear
5) Godspeed, You Black Emperor! - Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven
6) Sigur Ros - Von (Live)
7) Slowdive - Blue Skied An' Clear
8) Aspera Ad Astra - Tin Pan Miracles
9) The Black Dog - Wishing Well
10) The Cure - Maybe Someday (Hybrid Mix Radio Edit)
11) Mojave 3 - In Love With a View

I'm sure that most peole have heard of Sigur Ros and The Cure, and maybe GYBE! and Slowdive, but I'd be curious to know what people think of these groups, if they know of them, and any similar music in this vein that I might like.

Melon

:yes: to ALL, but especially....

:bow:Mojave 3 and Slowdive :bow:

Mojave 3 is in my top ten favourite bands ever.

I wish I hadn't lost all of my mp3s recently or I could come up with more, but off the top of my head you might like:

Iron and Wine (remind me of Mojave 3)
Mercury Rev
Dot Allison (especially the song 'Tomorrow Never Comes' which is gorgeous)
Zero 7
Boards of Canada
Mazzy Star
Ride
Spiritualized
Sparklehorse
Luna
Lamb
Craig Armstrong's As If to Nothing album
Royksopp
Alexi Murdoch....he's a bit Nick Drake-ish
Cocteau Twins
Prefuse 73
Sosumu Yokota
Espers
The Elected
Alpha
The Notwist

Mazzy Star :drool:

Boards of Canada, Cocteau Twins, Royksopp and Mercury Rev are all groups I want to learn more of. There are others on your list Meggie, but can you give me some recommendations on these? Or anyone else.

:bow:

A couple more:

1 Mile North
Low
Dntel

I'll have a look through my cds later and try to come up with song recommendations. I should go to the library now, since I've been lazy all morning. :reject:

I love a lot of those melon & meegannie listed, but i have to :bow: especially to slowdive & mojave 3 as well....:heart:neil:heart:...
If you can ever see Neil Halstead live, GO. Mesmerizing.

sigur ros live was also pretty amazing.

Last edited:
I just love ambien music, although I tend to like more worldy/tribal ambient music or basically a lot of the artists who the British 4AD label supported, but maybe you might like some of these artists....

Dead Can Dance - sublimely beautiful, one of my all time fave bands
This mortal coil
Cocteau Twins- they are great, but I personally think that the 'Bluebeard' album is the best
Afro Celt sound system
Delerium
:)

Mum, Tortoise, Mogwai, Twine.

A silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra.. or whatever they happen to be calling themselves at any given moment.

I'm sure y'all know Air, but don't whatever you do give a listen to "Premieres Symptomes" their first ep.. it's quite luurrrvly.

Tortoise and Four Tet and Beans are playing in Toronto soon.

Everyfuckingbody I want to see is playing in Toronto soon. And so are exams soon. It's insane how many concerts I want to see in TO.. i just missed grandaddy and david bowie (separate shows) last night.. in the next month rjd2, blackalicious, dj shadow, squarepusher, air, kraftwerk, and tons more are coming. It's crrazy.

Back
Top Bottom