Musicial elistist snobbery?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elvis Presley

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Musicial elitist snobbery?

Is there a scientific or sociological reason that one group of people believes the music they listen to (or write) is a better quality than that of another group? Is the Sigur Ros a better band than the Backstreet Boys? Yes, of course they are, but why? Why do we scoff at the likes of Madonna and Britney? Why do we cringe when we are with friends who insist on listening to country or top 40 radio. I was with some friends Friday night and they threw in the latest contribution to musical history by Eminem. I tried not to curl up in a ball and cry. If being a snob is wrong, I don't wanna be right, baby.

I can't remember if we've all discussed this in the past, but it's just an interesting quandary.

:|

-EP

Last edited:
I would rather be a smart ass than a dumb ass.

That's somewhat how I look at it. :sexywink:

Melon

in my opinion stuff like boy bands and britney = manufactured crap so labels can make money. Maybe they can sing but I am not sure that makes them musical.

Things I consider for artists. Do you write your own music? Do you play instruments? What is the lyric content? And if you have back up dancers yo do not pass go, you do not collect $200 and you are automatically thrown into my "There is no way I could possibly like your 'music' or whatever you call it"

My roommate and his friends think 50 Cent is the most amazing thing going. This cracks me - how do people not realize some of the stuff they listen to is so terrible? It is so unreal. And then my other friend spent 50 bucks on Bon Jonvi tickets the other day and they have not wanted to go see Coldplay, Idlewild or any other show that is actually worth paying to see that I have been to in the last 6 months. odd to say the least.

Last edited:
in the news forum some brainiacs labelled me as a music snob, and i responded by thanking them.

like melon said, id rather be a smart ass than a dumb ass.

i consider myself a music snob and im proud of it.

Yes indeed lads, its seems we are simply better than other people. Sure, its a little uncomfortable at first, but once you embrace your superiority it becomes very liberating.

i think all music and most social circles
have their own clique of snobs and smug ones.

i find no greater joy than identifying this breed of people.

DB9

Well, it depends on what you mean by musical snobbery. If it means you think some artists are inherently better than others than I suppose I'm a music snob, too.

But, the way I define it, musical snobbery has another element to it. Namely, that you're somehow judging music on terms other than the joy it brings you, like how hip or "underground" it is. The idea of "indie cred" is an example of this. Now, I don't like a lot of popular music because I think it's crap and it doesn't do anything for me. But I know people that genuinely like it. They're obviously getting something out of it that I'm completely missing. On one level, I don't begrudge them that because I think someone connecting to music, no matter how wretched I find it personally, is an amazing thing. But I still reserve the right to think they have crappy taste in music. Contradictory? Perhaps. But I don't know how else to put it. And is that snobbery? On one hand, yes, because I think I have better taste. But on the other hand, I'm not saying they're objectively wrong for liking it...*I* just think they're wrong but I recognize that what's wrong for me isn't just plain WRONG.

I swear there's a point in there somewhere. Now quick! Go find it!

i'm a music snob if being a music snob means that you like less popular music. i'm not one in the sense that i'm more open to hearing new things than a lot of people i know at the campus radio station; if more than 100 people have heard of a band, they're too mainstream.<---their opinion, not mine

Last edited:
I'm not the "indie-cred" type of snob who only listens to bands no one has ever heard of, but I plead guilty to having some snobbishness when it comes to music. Yesterday a couple of my co-workers were all excited that the Journey/REO Speedwagon/Styx tour was coming just a couple hours from where we live, and I had to bite my lip to keep myself from saying, "You LIKE those bands???"

It's not that I'm an elitist snob as much as it's that music I dislike geniunely sucks.

Britney Spears fans probably think Sigur Ros is shit, but that's hardly snobbery.

Last edited:
Also so you all know..
in the music world outside of U2, most music lovers consider U2Fans musical snobs.:slant::yes:
True Story.

I try and dissuade many of this silly notion and tell them it really doesnt matter how many posts you have at Interland.Com:sexywink:;)

U2 is much larger than the internet and much larger than the ppl who are addicted to the musical forums and chat rooms.:)

DB9

Last edited:
I don't want to talk about musical elitism cause it is a red herring. There are only two kinds of music: good music and bad music. Trust me, they exist. Your instinct, if it's a good instinct, will tell you the difference. The more music you listen to, the more you get to trust your instinct.

Also, there is a difference between 'liking' some performer and acknowledging that they produce worthwhile music (but not particularly enjoying said music). Or vice versa. For me exhibit A would be Miles Davis. Talented, certainly. Do I listen to him? Rarely if ever.

None of which is to say that musical elitists don't exist. If you dig a band cause the NME told you to, then you qualify.

Hello,

I don't really go with this 'music elitism' and 'rather a smart ass than a dumb ass' attitude. As some stated above, where is the line between good and bad music? You have the ends of the spectrum, but what about the middle?
Is an artist only relevant ('good') because he/she writes/performs his/her own music. If so, does this mean that Sinatra is worthy of contempt. He never wrote a song, doesn't play an instrument and basically covered other people's songs. The same goes with Elvis Presley (although he played rudimentary guitar).
I for one think that Eminem is a very good song writer, making great and catchy music. I don't like Madonna's latest, but especially Ray Of Light was great (and also Like A Prayer a decade earlier).

In the end I don't think there is a very big difference between good and bad music, just music you like and don't like.

C ya!

Marty

I consider myself a music snob, because people in my age group usually listen to Linkin Park and stuff and I make my references to Radiohead, the Clash, and weird indie-pop.

Today a friend posed a question, 'What is good music?' My answer? "Stuff I like."

I think it's more tongue-in-cheek than anything.

Well, it's just pop music. If you think you're better than someone else because of the music you listen to you've got big problems, cause in the end, it's just pop music. Also, wouldn't you have to sell all your U2 records to be part of the music snob community?

MrBrau1 said:
Well, it's just pop music. If you think you're better than someone else because of the music you listen to you've got big problems, cause in the end, it's just pop music. Also, wouldn't you have to sell all your U2 records to be part of the music snob community?

Almost. I think you can only keep October and Pop, although the verdict is not out yet on that last one. ;)

C ya!

Marty

P.S. This is a comment about musical snobbery, not a comment about the actual merits/faults of the albums. No need for another Pop thread!
(I just want to make myself clear :p)

I don't believe in the music snobbery phenomenon. If you believe you have the purist taste in music you run the risk of just looking like a complete arse.

Music is taste. You either like something or you don't.

There is however, artists that can perform or sing or play. And are good at it. To say you are limited by these boundaries means you only have the ability to discern actual quality. But its still taste and only your opinion.

I'm not into the snobbery thing...I like some uncool stuff sometimes.

Maybe we should just adopt this philosophy.....

If you can find something in this often cruel and punishing world that makes you happy, do it! So if a certain band or type of music makes you happy, listen to it. I don't have to like it, but I try not to look down on people who like music that I don't care for. It's really hard though.

I have to try to keep from lashing out at people at work. They are always talking about shit music. Examples:

1) I can't wait to go see Bon Jovi.
2) I like Sting's solo work better than his work with the Police.

I hear shit like this all the time.

I just try to remember my new philosophy and bite my tongue.

oh come on elvis. it feels good lash out at people who have sub-standard tastes in music.

same goes with movies. if people are talking about something shit, ill let em know. cause i know they care about my opinion. :up:

Back
Top Bottom