Musicial elistist snobbery? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2003, 03:12 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:48 PM
must resist urge to lash out......

how about some passive aggressive action, like when someone mentions a shit band, just laugh and walk away, that may have a stronger effect....

Old 04-25-2003, 03:34 PM   #32
I Serve Larry's Stick

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's shades
Yesterday a couple of my co-workers were all excited that the Journey/REO Speedwagon/Styx tour was coming just a couple hours from where we live, and I had to bite my lip to keep myself from saying, "You LIKE those bands???"
My idea of hell is having to listen to Styx. Ditto to REO Speedwagon.

*shudder*

Old 04-25-2003, 03:44 PM   #33
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:48 PM
Old 04-25-2003, 04:16 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by typhoon
Britney Spears fans probably think Sigur Ros is shit, but that's hardly snobbery.
It would be ignorance.
Old 04-25-2003, 09:34 PM   #35
The Fly

Local Time: 02:48 AM
No, it's not just pop music. I mean, it is pop music. But it's not JUST pop music. If it's not more than a mere diversion, like a candy bar, why would anybody get emotional about it?
Old 04-26-2003, 12:37 AM   #36
MacPhisto's serving wench

Local Time: 09:48 PM
I wonder if musical tastes/ignorance are a product of where you're brought up/what you're exposed to. Case and point: I live in tiny-little-town filled with a million ginos and dance beats. And only dance beats. everyone listens to it, it's normal/perfectly fine. Seriously, if you went to my high school you listened to this and R&B all the time. It was really all you were exposed to. "Indie is WEIRD man." Bjork was a freak. U2 were 'old' rockers. Springstein, who? No Doubt was cool. I think everyone had a No Doubt phase. That was acceptable....

Very few people I know were able to break this mold and listen to rock during said high school days. Sure I could have easily walked into HMV and bought a rock record. But what was rock? What was popular at the time? *****. Bon Jovi. Blink 182. Mainstream. I didn't know about things like NME. Neither did anyone else. Granted, I loved U2, but only after a 5-year affair with every type of pop hit beforehand

Gradually as everyone moved away to university, musical tastes have changed. People I know have branched out more (going away to university brought me a whole new world of music). Yet the kids here still listen to the same dance crap. My brother did, up until a year ago, when I gave him some U2, Coldplay, etc. Now he's a converted rocker. Never had access to it before.

I guess with MTV and Muchmusic it's a bit easier to find rock music. But you also see bands like LInkin Park (did I just call them a band?). When you grow up in a town where no one listens to rock, it's difficult to discern what is 'good' rock and what is 'bad.' Especially when you're 14, 15, 16 years old.
Old 04-26-2003, 01:58 AM   #37
The Fly

The Sweetest Thing, I agree wholeheartedly, which is why I believe it is all about listening (or being able to) as much music as possible, from as many different sources. I can say for a fact that until I was about 17 my sole musical enthusiasms were U2, Elton John and Billy Joel. Maybe REM, but only cause of the fact that Losing My Religion was a big hit. And at that stage I was in no position to say what was good, bad or indifferent.

I am just thankful in Australia that we have some counterbalance to the isolation of smalltown life, in the form of the national youth broadcaster (jjj radio. It's on the web too, which is handy). That's where I hear - along with a fair amount of shite - music like Catpower, Radiohead, Beck and any number of others including otherwise overlooked local bands like Augie March. You will never ever hear that music on commercial top 40 radio (let alone the oldies' stations). I come from a small town myself.
Old 04-26-2003, 02:02 AM   #38
The Fly

As a sidenote, it's struck me as odd for many years how U2 seem to kind of slip between the cracks, despite supposedly being the biggest rock n roll band of our era. They - at least in Australia - are never played on alternative radio, and on commercial radio you'll be lucky to get beyond 'With or Without You'. So I really question their influence in that regard. Unless you are a fan of the band, it would be quite possible to be unaware of anything they've released in the last 12 years (except for film soundtracks perhaps).

This is neither good nor bad, in my view. Simply an observation.
Old 04-26-2003, 02:51 AM   #39
Blue Crack Supplier

oh god reo speedwagon my little brother loves them he used to have such good taste too
Old 04-27-2003, 06:56 AM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Zedbetty
As a sidenote, it's struck me as odd for many years how U2 seem to kind of slip between the cracks, despite supposedly being the biggest rock n roll band of our era. They - at least in Australia - are never played on alternative radio, and on commercial radio you'll be lucky to get beyond 'With or Without You'. So I really question their influence in that regard. Unless you are a fan of the band, it would be quite possible to be unaware of anything they've released in the last 12 years (except for film soundtracks perhaps).

This is neither good nor bad, in my view. Simply an observation.
I don't know, I've heard plenty of U2 on the radio in the last two years. When we listened to Triple M at work U2 was played several times during the day; they even played "Numb" once. "Beautiful Day", "Elevation", "Sweetest Thing", "Everlasting Love", "WOWY", "ISHFWILF", Pride", "One" all show up from time to time on the commercial radio. I don't know much about JJJ but wasn't "Beautiful Day" voted no. 2 on the JJJ Hottest 100 a couple of years ago?
Old 04-27-2003, 07:40 AM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I think it is often forgotten that a lot of music doesn't have any aims in sight other than being mindless fun diversion. And that people may listen to music for all sorts of different reasons; if I want interesting otherworldly music that takes me places I sure as hell wouldn't put Backstreet Boys on; if I want some fun music to dance to I sure as hell wouldn't put Sigur Ros on,
Old 04-27-2003, 10:57 AM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Zedbetty
Augie March
Old 04-27-2003, 11:12 AM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:48 PM
The secret is simply this..
1)Listen to cool music.
2)Dont be a snob about the cool music you listen to, share it for those for those that inquiry
3)Dont cram -
your music
your religion
your politics down anyone's throats or label or call ppl names that dont see it your way.

You see if you do that..
you run
the risk
of
looking
a
Snob

DB9
Old 04-27-2003, 01:36 PM   #44
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:48 PM
im a snob, and im proud of it. i jam my musical tastes down everyone's throats, because clearly theyre lost in their ways.

anyone who plays nickelback near me gets a verbal lashing they wont soon forget.
Old 04-27-2003, 04:25 PM   #45
you are what you is

Local Time: 03:48 AM
I wouldn't mind musical snobs if their taste wasn't 100% dictated by what critics say

“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa