Musicial elistist snobbery?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
must resist urge to lash out......

how about some passive aggressive action, like when someone mentions a shit band, just laugh and walk away, that may have a stronger effect....

:wink:

Bono's shades said:
Yesterday a couple of my co-workers were all excited that the Journey/REO Speedwagon/Styx tour was coming just a couple hours from where we live, and I had to bite my lip to keep myself from saying, "You LIKE those bands???"

My idea of hell is having to listen to Styx. Ditto to REO Speedwagon.

*shudder*

No, it's not just pop music. I mean, it is pop music. But it's not JUST pop music. If it's not more than a mere diversion, like a candy bar, why would anybody get emotional about it?

I wonder if musical tastes/ignorance are a product of where you're brought up/what you're exposed to. Case and point: I live in tiny-little-town filled with a million ginos and dance beats. And only dance beats. everyone listens to it, it's normal/perfectly fine. Seriously, if you went to my high school you listened to this and R&B all the time. It was really all you were exposed to. "Indie is WEIRD man." Bjork was a freak. U2 were 'old' rockers. Springstein, who? No Doubt was cool. I think everyone had a No Doubt phase. That was acceptable....

Very few people I know were able to break this mold and listen to rock during said high school days. Sure I could have easily walked into HMV and bought a rock record. But what was rock? What was popular at the time? *****. Bon Jovi. Blink 182. Mainstream. I didn't know about things like NME. Neither did anyone else. Granted, I loved U2, but only after a 5-year affair with every type of pop hit beforehand :reject:

Gradually as everyone moved away to university, musical tastes have changed. People I know have branched out more (going away to university brought me a whole new world of music). Yet the kids here still listen to the same dance crap. My brother did, up until a year ago, when I gave him some U2, Coldplay, etc. Now he's a converted rocker. Never had access to it before.

I guess with MTV and Muchmusic it's a bit easier to find rock music. But you also see bands like LInkin Park (did I just call them a band?). When you grow up in a town where no one listens to rock, it's difficult to discern what is 'good' rock and what is 'bad.' Especially when you're 14, 15, 16 years old.

Last edited:
The Sweetest Thing, I agree wholeheartedly, which is why I believe it is all about listening (or being able to) as much music as possible, from as many different sources. I can say for a fact that until I was about 17 my sole musical enthusiasms were U2, Elton John and Billy Joel. Maybe REM, but only cause of the fact that Losing My Religion was a big hit. And at that stage I was in no position to say what was good, bad or indifferent.

I am just thankful in Australia that we have some counterbalance to the isolation of smalltown life, in the form of the national youth broadcaster (jjj radio. It's on the web too, which is handy). That's where I hear - along with a fair amount of shite - music like Catpower, Radiohead, Beck and any number of others including otherwise overlooked local bands like Augie March. You will never ever hear that music on commercial top 40 radio (let alone the oldies' stations). I come from a small town myself.

As a sidenote, it's struck me as odd for many years how U2 seem to kind of slip between the cracks, despite supposedly being the biggest rock n roll band of our era. They - at least in Australia - are never played on alternative radio, and on commercial radio you'll be lucky to get beyond 'With or Without You'. So I really question their influence in that regard. Unless you are a fan of the band, it would be quite possible to be unaware of anything they've released in the last 12 years (except for film soundtracks perhaps).

This is neither good nor bad, in my view. Simply an observation.

oh god reo speedwagon :no: my little brother loves them :barf: he used to have such good taste too :sad:

Zedbetty said:
As a sidenote, it's struck me as odd for many years how U2 seem to kind of slip between the cracks, despite supposedly being the biggest rock n roll band of our era. They - at least in Australia - are never played on alternative radio, and on commercial radio you'll be lucky to get beyond 'With or Without You'. So I really question their influence in that regard. Unless you are a fan of the band, it would be quite possible to be unaware of anything they've released in the last 12 years (except for film soundtracks perhaps).

This is neither good nor bad, in my view. Simply an observation.

I don't know, I've heard plenty of U2 on the radio in the last two years. When we listened to Triple M at work U2 was played several times during the day; they even played "Numb" once. "Beautiful Day", "Elevation", "Sweetest Thing", "Everlasting Love", "WOWY", "ISHFWILF", Pride", "One" all show up from time to time on the commercial radio. I don't know much about JJJ but wasn't "Beautiful Day" voted no. 2 on the JJJ Hottest 100 a couple of years ago?

I think it is often forgotten that a lot of music doesn't have any aims in sight other than being mindless fun diversion. And that people may listen to music for all sorts of different reasons; if I want interesting otherworldly music that takes me places I sure as hell wouldn't put Backstreet Boys on; if I want some fun music to dance to I sure as hell wouldn't put Sigur Ros on, :)

The secret is simply this..
1)Listen to cool music.
2)Dont be a snob about the cool music you listen to, share it for those for those that inquiry:)
3)Dont cram -
your music
your religion
your politics down anyone's throats or label or call ppl names that dont see it your way.

You see if you do that..
you run
the risk
of
looking
a
Snob:):up:

DB9

im a snob, and im proud of it. i jam my musical tastes down everyone's throats, because clearly theyre lost in their ways.

anyone who plays nickelback near me gets a verbal lashing they wont soon forget.

I wouldn't mind musical snobs if their taste wasn't 100% dictated by what critics say

i guess i'm not actually a music snob then. i hate reading reviews and never listen to what critics say. or i never listen to their opinions on the actual album, if i do read reviews, it's because i'm looking to get an idea of what an album might sound like. for instnace a solo album put out by a singer in a band that i like. i want to see how similar/different it is, but i'm much more likely to try to hear some of it for myself rather than basing my decision whether to buy the album on what some msuic critics say.

and if you go to see a farily obscure band only because you want to see the even less-known opening band, you're a music geek.

diamond said:
The secret is simply this..
1)Listen to cool music.
2)Dont be a snob about the cool music you listen to, share it for those for those that inquiry:)
3)Dont cram -
your music
your religion
your politics down anyone's throats or label or call ppl names that dont see it your way.

You see if you do that..
you run
the risk
of
looking
a
Snob:):up:

DB9

:yes: I got to agree with you dia

IWasBored said:
i if i do read reviews, it's because i'm looking to get an idea of what an album might sound like. for instnace a solo album put out by a singer in a band that i like. i want to see how similar/different it is, but i'm much more likely to try to hear some of it for myself rather than basing my decision whether to buy the album on what some msuic critics say.

Re: Musicial elitist snobbery?

Elvis Presley said:
If being a snob is wrong, I don't wanna be right, baby.

\

Elvis Presley, you are indeed "the King".

Your new signature kicks ace too. :up:

When it flat out comes down to it, music is TOTALLY based on personal preference. I listen to things like John Mayer and dont like it at all, but some of my best friends who like a massive amount of the same bands I do think that he's the shiznit. You cant ever truthfully make someone like another band, or try to prove that something is better musically than something else. It just comes down to whether or not you like it.

That being said, I still "poo poo" on a wide variety of "musical" groups/artists. It's hard to not shun things when they are so off putting to your own ears.

Elvis Presley said:

music snob...:angry:

where were you when we were gettin high mopo?:|

I was committing many acts of snobbery towards inferior musical acts in a Strawberry Soda Supernova in the Sky.

I'm SO not a musical snob.

Yeeeeeaaaaahhhhhhh riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

So fucking sue me. Wankers.

Back
Top Bottom