Music magazines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I get:

~Rolling Stone
~Spin
~Blender
~Paste
~Harp
~Amplifier
~No Depression
~Rockpile
~Q
~Mojo
~Uncut
~The Word
~Filter
~Magnet
~Relix
~American Songwriter
~Performing Songwriter
~Under The Radar
~The Big Takeover
~Skyscraper

:ohmy:

I'm a semi-regular reader/buyer of:
Q (I used to get every issue, but I think the quality has gotten less over the years)
Mojo
Uncut
Oor (Dutch magazine)

Popmartijn said:

Oor (Dutch magazine)

Ear? :hmm:

Wow, BC. Are music mags over there as expensive as they are here? Some of them are about $12/14.

Lara Mullen said:

Ear? :hmm:

Wow, BC. Are music mags over there as expensive as they are here? Some of them are about $12/14.

I think The Word is $10. Uncut, Q, and Mojo are around $9. Some of the others are bi-monthly or quarterly and are reasonably priced. I also get 10% off because I get them at Barnes & Noble and have a membership there...but I still spend way too much. It's a pretty bad habit. :lol: :uhoh: I also haven't so far been able to throw any old issues out...:reject:

Last edited:
I read Q quite a lot&buy it when there's a major U2 item in it but i'm sure if i want to fork out for the new issue with the Hawaii report :hmm:

I used to buy NME a lot but it's so crap these days :|

Hawaii report?! :hyper:

:drool:

And yes, nowadays I only buy Q when there's a (major) U2 item in it or when it comes with one of those free CDs (which are often pretty good).

Rolling Stone and Paste are the main ones. Sometimes Q. Relevant is a good one if you want to know the amount of spiritual content on an album.

:yes: yep, that's right Marty! :wink: i just saw it in the shop today - 3 pages i think they have!

Usually Brave Words and Bloody Knuckles, Metal Hammer, and Terrorizer are the ones I usually look out for. They all come with free cd's.

Every once in awhile I'll pick up Guitar World

Rolling Stone is the main one. Everyone says it sucks, but I think if you sift through the ads, you'll find some engaging stuff.

The Brit mags are great, like Uncut and MOJO. I'll usually flip through them at the bookstore, and then feel somewhat guilty for not buying them instead.

rolling stone:uhoh:
(every once in a while there are really good articles, i swear! plus the subscription is dirt cheap)

i used to have a subscription to Spin but that went reallly down hill since it became mychemicalromance/falloutboy/panicathedisco/interpol magazine

blender has really witty writers but usually beyond terrible cover subjects

random stuff i buy:
harp, q, mojo, uncut,
sometimes: paste, filter, under the radar, magnet

i'm a Borders nerd!

susanp6 said:
I read Q quite a lot&buy it when there's a major U2 item in it but i'm sure if i want to fork out for the new issue with the Hawaii report :hmm:

I used to buy NME a lot but it's so crap these days :|

It's not really worth it, the article isn't very long, if you want I'll scan it in and upload it later :)

I don't think I have for at least a decade and a half. I do read an occasional online article from some of them though and I peruse some music blogs.

Q is my absolute favourite. Their album reviews are mostly average writing-wise but they still give me ideas on what artists to look up and I find some good articles. Plus they've got lots of humorous stuff and I like its Britishness, :)

Rolling Stone mostly frustrates me nowadays because you have to sift through a lot of dull claptrap that has little to do with music to find anything interesting. Sorry, but I'm just not interested in 4-page articles on American politics.

I tried reading Mojo but something about it puts me off.

Classic Rock has some good articles but it's just soo damn blokey it makes me feel like I've barged into a bachelor's party when I'm reading it.

Paste, Word, & Q. I read Rolling Stone for years, but as soon as they started putting the likes of Britney Spears & Jessica Simpson on the cover they lost a good deal of their credibility.

Total U2 Nut said:

It's not really worth it, the article isn't very long, if you want I'll scan it in and upload it later :)

I have seen it briefly but thanks, it would be good to see it again&maybe just have a look online :yes: :up:

Used to read Uncut, haven't in ages though. Either it declined in quality, or I just got sick of it. Too much Springsteen/Dylan/Byrds etc. for what, maybe one or two articles worth reading in the magazine? And this was before it split into two magazines.

I like buying second hand music magazines every now and again. Vox was quite good.

Filter , good geeky stuff , Brian Eno rules the universe,
bathroom stand

Rolling Stone , good pics , i have a love/hate relationship with this one , and it's more local , trashy , but nice , style is still there , good covers ,
bathroom stand

once in a while , when i'm in one of those big bookstores , i get Q or Mojo or Classic Rock , or Guitar World ( only when my favourites are on the cover )
maybe ll try something new
no time at all :| :huh:

I used to subscribe to Spin, but their album reviews are terrible. A while back they gave album of the year to Hot Fuss by the Killers. Okay, fine. But it wasn't even the best-reviewed album of the issue it was originally in!

And yeah, I could do without seeing P!ATD on the cover.

And the sex advice column.

And I could go on and on...

Back
Top Bottom