Museum Voor Oude Kunst, Brussels, Belgium Superthread (Six months!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2 is pretty damn lazy, for sure. Anyway, I guess Starflyer 59 to me is like Porcupine Tree to you. And they both are fucking workhorses.

I really appreciate these artists who live and breathe music. You can tell it's actually their passion and they're creating art without giving a shit about whether it's going to go double platinum and win twenty fucking Grammy's. Then you look at U2 and really have to wonder if their hearts are in it any more, if they still have an urge to create. They take so long, Bono's obviously distracted, McGuinness and Mullen clearly care more about the money ...

Talking Voice Vs Singing Voice. :hmm: *adds to list*

My band like that would be...:scratch: The Lookouts. They disbanded in 1989, but they released 2 albums and 2 EPs in the five years they were together, plus countless random tracks on compilations. I have their entire library :heart: I love The Lookouts.

Talking Voice Vs Singing Voice. :hmm: *adds to list*

My band like that would be...:scratch: The Lookouts. They disbanded in 1989, but they released 2 albums and 2 EPs in the five years they were together, plus countless random tracks on compilations. I have their entire library :heart: I love The Lookouts.

Once I'm finished uploading this one for Ax, I could upload it for you. :shrug:

I really appreciate these artists who live and breathe music. You can tell it's actually their passion and they're creating art without giving a shit about whether it's going to go double platinum and win twenty fucking Grammy's. Then you look at U2 and really have to wonder if their hearts are in it any more, if they still have an urge to create. They take so long, Bono's obviously distracted, McGuinness and Mullen clearly care more about the money ...

Yeah. See, Jason Martin actually has a real job as a truck driver when he's not recording or producing other artists. Because he doesn't make enough money playing music to survive.

Edge's heart is still in it, I think. But Adam is the type to go, "Well, if you guys aren't trying anymore, I'm sure as hell not."

Yeah. See, Jason Martin actually has a real job as a truck driver when he's not recording or producing other artists. Because he doesn't make enough money playing music to survive.

Fuck, that's just unfair - and makes his output all the more insane. Steven Wilson has been lucky that Porcupine Tree's minor success plus the combined income of his other projects and work as a producer has allowed him to make a living out of music.

Is it dead in here or is it just me?

I'm working on a list of all the stuff SW's done. It's nuts.

Edge's heart is still in it, I think. But Adam is the type to go, "Well, if you guys aren't trying anymore, I'm sure as hell not."

Yeah, I agree Edge's heart is still in it; HTDAAB isn't all too encouraging, though. Adam seems to just be cruising along. Judging by a couple of the U2.com video clips, though, it seems he may actually be trying on the bass this time around, which is nice.

Yeah, I agree Edge's heart is still in it; HTDAAB isn't all too encouraging, though. Adam seems to just be cruising along. Judging by a couple of the U2.com video clips, though, it seems he may actually be trying on the bass this time around, which is nice.

Edge needs to take the Albert Hammond Jr. approach. When the Strokes get lazy, Hammond Jr. (the guitarist) puts out solo albums. In fact, he's put out two since the last Strokes album. Edge could and should be doing this.

Fuck, that's just unfair - and makes his output all the more insane. Steven Wilson has been lucky that Porcupine Tree's minor success plus the combined income of his other projects and work as a producer has allowed him to make a living out of music.

I'm working on a list of all the stuff SW's done. It's nuts.

Hahaha, I saw quite a bit of the PT stuff when I was getting their discography. I couldn't justify keeping it all, so I kept Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun, The Sky Moves Sideways, Fear of a Blank Planet, Deadwing, In Absentia, We Lost the Skyline, Four Chords That Made A Million single, Lazarus single, and Arriving Somewhere dvd audio rip.

That's true. When he's not making tea or meeting with fans or taking pictures of himself in the bathroom of the art gallery...But that clip of him just playing before it switches to a clip o fhim meeting with fans is encouraging. It was pretty damn awesome.

The clip of Larry's drumming is depressing. I could play that.

OK, for my own interest, let's see how long a run we can get out of Steven Wilson appearing as a full band member on albums or EPs.

1989: Tarquin's Seaweed Farm (PT)
1990: Love, Death & Mussolini and The Nostalgia Factory (PT), Colours (No-Man)
1991: On The Sunday Of Life (PT), Days In The Trees (No-Man)
1992: Voyage 34 (PT)
1993: Up The Downstair (PT), Loveblows & Lovecries (No-Man)
1994: Moonloop and Staircase Infinities (PT), Flowermouth (No-Man)
1995: The Sky Moves Sideways (PT)
1996: Signify (PT), Incredible Expanding Mindfuck (IEM), Wild Opera (No-Man)
1997: Insignificance (PT)
1998: Metanoia (PT), I (Bass Communion)
1999: Stupid Dream (PT), An Escalator To Christmas (IEM), II (Bass Communion)
2000: Lightbulb Sun (PT)
2001: Recordings (PT), Arcadia Son and IEM Have Come For Your Children (IEM), III (Bass Communion), Returning Jesus (No-Man)
2002: In Absentia (PT)
2003: Futile (PT), Together We're Stranger (No-Man)
2004: Blackfield (Blackfield), Ghosts On Magnetic Tape and Vajrayana (Bass Communion), Unreleased Electronic Music, Vol. 1 (solo)
2005: Deadwing (PT), Indicates Void and Dronework (Bass Communion), Continuum I (Continuum)
2006: Loss (Bass Communion)
2007: Fear Of A Blank Planet and Nil Recurring (PT), Blackfield II (Blackfield), Continuum II (Continuum)
2008: Pacific Codex and Molotov & Haze (Bass Communion), Insurgentes (solo), Schoolyard Ghosts (No-Man)

Scarily, this is incomplete. I know there's stuff missing (like the Bass Communion vs Muslimgauze releases), it doesn't include his work as a producer, some EPs for minor projects are probably not there, it's not counting live albums ... good god, Steven Wilson is a fucking robot.

Edge needs to take the Albert Hammond Jr. approach. When the Strokes get lazy, Hammond Jr. (the guitarist) puts out solo albums. In fact, he's put out two since the last Strokes album. Edge could and should be doing this.
I support this whole-heartedly. The Captive soundtrack is fucking awesome. We need more Edge solo stuff.

Alright, i dunno where you two buggered off to, but I'm going home.See you tomorrow. :wave:

Agreed! He really could do it quite easily. Captive is fantastic, and I'd like to see him without being limited by Larry's mundane drumming or Bono's need to over-sing anthemic crap. Some nice instrumental stuff would be great.

Hahaha, I saw quite a bit of the PT stuff when I was getting their discography. I couldn't justify keeping it all, so I kept Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun, The Sky Moves Sideways, Fear of a Blank Planet, Deadwing, In Absentia, We Lost the Skyline, Four Chords That Made A Million single, Lazarus single, and Arriving Somewhere dvd audio rip.

Ah, right; yeah, the full discography is nuts. While the whole Up The Downstair album really isn't essential, I'd say you definitely need its closing track, Fadeaway. It's one of my top three PT songs, and on its day, I prefer it over Piano Lessons. And no Signify? Waiting Phase One, Sever, Every Home Is Wired, and Dark Matter are PT classics. God, I loved it when they did Dark Matter live here. :drool:

That's true. When he's not making tea or meeting with fans or taking pictures of himself in the bathroom of the art gallery...But that clip of him just playing before it switches to a clip o fhim meeting with fans is encouraging. It was pretty damn awesome.

The clip of Larry's drumming is depressing. I could play that.

:laugh: Yeah, he seemed to be playing much better in that clip than he's played on the last two albums, so that was cool.

Larry's one was ... yeah, depressing is putting it mildly. I know 5 year olds who could play that. I can't believe he let that miserable, talentless crap get out there.

Have a good one! :wave:

Ah, right; yeah, the full discography is nuts. While the whole Up The Downstair album really isn't essential, I'd say you definitely need its closing track, Fadeaway. It's one of my top three PT songs, and on its day, I prefer it over Piano Lessons. And no Signify? Waiting Phase One, Sever, Every Home Is Wired, and Dark Matter are PT classics. God, I loved it when they did Dark Matter live here. :drool:

Yeah. When I went through and listened to everything, the full albums that stuck out the best were the ones I wound up keeping. I barely kept The Sky Moves Sideways.

Agreed! He really could do it quite easily. Captive is fantastic, and I'd like to see him without being limited by Larry's mundane drumming or Bono's need to over-sing anthemic crap. Some nice instrumental stuff would be great.

Why keep it instrumental? Edge really is a much better singer than people give him credit for.

Why keep it instrumental? Edge really is a much better singer than people give him credit for.

Oh, I totally agree, I just miss the instrumentals U2 used to do. You know the full band's going to shy away from them nowadays, but Edge could totally run with it. A few tracks with vocals mixed with some instrumentals would probably be ideal.

Oh, I totally agree, I just miss the instrumentals U2 used to do. You know the full band's going to shy away from them nowadays, but Edge could totally run with it. A few tracks with vocals mixed with some instrumentals would probably be ideal.

I would think a perfect album from Edge would include one or two instrumentals, two or three "Beach Sequence"s, and seven or eight more vocal songs. And on a side note, I just discovered that BVS :huh: is an Ours fan.

I would think a perfect album from Edge would include one or two instrumentals, two or three "Beach Sequence"s, and seven or eight more vocal songs. And on a side note, I just discovered that BVS :huh: is an Ours fan.

Personally, I'd take a 12 track album: five instrumentals, three Beach Sequences, and four proper vocal songs. Though either way would make me pretty bloody happy. The guy's a quality musician, the only one in the band, and a solo album would give him a chance to shine without the shackles of the others.

And I don't think I've seen any mention of Ours here besides that prompted by you.

Personally, I'd take a 12 track album: five instrumentals, three Beach Sequences, and four proper vocal songs. Though either way would make me pretty bloody happy. The guy's a quality musician, the only one in the band, and a solo album would give him a chance to shine without the shackles of the others.

And I don't think I've seen any mention of Ours here besides that prompted by you.

Yeah, it's in the 2008 Best of the Decade B&C threat. I mentioned Ours and he quoted me and said it was good to see another Ours fan. So technically, I did bring it up. :lol:

And yeah. But it'll never happen with Edge. Because he doesn't want to waste anything he does on something that's not a U2 album.

Yeah, it's in the 2008 Best of the Decade B&C threat. I mentioned Ours and he quoted me and said it was good to see another Ours fan. So technically, I did bring it up. :lol:

:laugh:

You know, I can't believe how little new music I've heard in 2008. 2007 was a pretty great year, though.

:laugh:

You know, I can't believe how little new music I've heard in 2008. 2007 was a pretty great year, though.

If you add things which haven't been released yet this year, it really is my favourite of the decade. But then, our tastes are pretty fucking different.

Though even if you don't really like the music as much, I think you're gonna be quite happily surprised with my segues in my DI list.

If you add things which haven't been released yet this year, it really is my favourite of the decade. But then, our tastes are pretty fucking different.

Lately, I haven't been hunting out new releases quite so much. I go through these phases, usually a few weeks long, where I'll hunt out new stuff like mad, then go through another phase about twice as long where I let things settle in and don't really actively look for much.

I am incredibly impressed by Russian Circles' new album from this year, though. It's a post-rock/metal classic, for sure.

Though even if you don't really like the music as much, I think you're gonna be quite happily surprised with my segues in my DI list.

I'm looking forward to hearing it. You checked out mine yet?

Lately, I haven't been hunting out new releases quite so much. I go through these phases, usually a few weeks long, where I'll hunt out new stuff like mad, then go through another phase about twice as long where I let things settle in and don't really actively look for much.

I am incredibly impressed by Russian Circles' new album from this year, though. It's a post-rock/metal classic, for sure.

I'm looking forward to hearing it. You checked out mine yet?

I have not. I have a playlist of 700+ songs that I haven't listened to (to make sure they don't skip) since importing them into my iTunes so I've been spending a lot of time listening to that. Yours and Zoots are going to be my weekend listening, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom