Muse and The Cloud Room (opening SF show, and my new friend)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zooropa1310

War Child
So I just got back from my first Muse show, and I thought I'd share my experience. Where else to talk about this kind of stuff? The day started at 6:30am, when we left for San Francisco from Reddding. We got there around 10:30am, and jumped right in line. We were the 6th and 7th people in line, which was great. We had coolers and guitars, so we just chilled and talked with the other "Musers." We met another guy in line (possible interference member, huge U2 fan, went to 16 shows this tour) and he told me where to go to meet the band. While my friend held our spot, we went to the back of the venue (The Concourse at the Exhibition Center, relatively small venue).
As we are waiting back there (around 5pm), a small van pulls up, and it is the opening act, The Cloud Room. I've heard a few songs, and I liked their sound... So as they were unloading, we asked them if they needed help unloading, and they said sure. So I carried in the bass guitar and electric guitar into backstage, where I saw all of Muse's stuff, road crew, etc.
So we start talking with John, the bass player. We talked about their Australian tour, becoming a band, experiences, things like that... And he was a really nice guy. It was nice to get personal with a band you're about to watch, it made me even more interested. During the conversation, he had these amber aviator glasses that he said he picked up for $5 in New York. (Now, I've always wanted these, but they were either too expensive, or not around at all), so I offered him $5 for them, of course, he said no due to having to have them for 3 more weeks. He then took my address down and told me that he would buy me a pair when he gets back to New York and mail them to me. So then came time for them to do their sound check, so we went back in line to get ready for doors to open.
We get checked into the doors, and its a run for the front. Of course, being the 6th in line, it was no contest. We got front row, Bellamy's side. Some band called The Immigrants came on, played 4-5 songs, then The Cloud Room came on and played a great set of 9 songs. I HIGHLY reccomend this band, they are just great. Afterwards, Muse came on.
I haven't experienced many concerts... Two U2 shows and one Coldplay. Muse was... incredible. It was the most intense show I have ever witnessed. They opened up with Knights of Cydonia, and what a perfect choice... The band comes on with such intensity and power, you knew Muse was in the building. After that song ended, it went right into Hysteria, and the rest is a blur. As soon as Hysteria came on, the whole crowd came forward. I don't know if it is like this at all concerts, but wow. The power of 1,000+ people is incredible. Luckily, it was akwardly comfortable. Kind of like a massage. Everyone was sweating, everyone was cramped, but it was perfect. Here is the set list for the night:

Knights of Cydonia
Hysteria
Map of the Problematique
Supermassive Black Hole
Citizen Erased
Soldiers Poem
Starlight
Plug In Baby
Invincible
Butterflies and Hurricanes
Bliss
City of Delusion
Stockholm Syndrome
-------
Take A Bow
Time Is Running Out
New Born

It seems like a short set list, but it didn't feel like it. Everyone song was represented perfectly, with intensity, enthusiasm, etc. There were a lot of crowd surfers though, kind of a pain in the ass. I actually counted, it came to 23 crowd surfers that were pulled out. Especially during Plug In Baby and Stockholm Syndrome... We were about 7 feet from Matt Bellamy the whole time, and a few times he dropped on the lower part of the stage, which put us at about 4 feet away. A memorable part was in New Born, after the piano intro, he put the guitar up, feedback gained, and he came and jumped on the lowered stage to start up the famous riff. It was an incredible show, and I would wait the 11 hours again.
So after the show, soaking wet in sweat, we exited the building, exchanged emails with the new friends we made, and parted ways. Me, my friend, and the other interferencer went to the back of the benue by the busses to see if they would show. We got there at 11:30, and slowly people left. Around 12:10am, the members of The Cloud Room came out, and the John (bass) and the guitar player came over to talk to me, I congradulated them on a great show and such. He then told me he was going to mail me a 2nd pair of glasses, one rediculously huge pair, and another practical one. So... It shows he remembered. After about 15-20 minutes of talking, he said that he was heading to the bar with the band, and invited me along with him... He even offered to sneak me in (I'm only 16). I told him I had to stay with my friend and wait for Muse. Heh... I kind of felt bad, telling one band no to wait for another. So he said to come by anytime. We waited outside the door... 12:30, 1am, 1:30, nothing. At this time, we were very discouraged, we didn't think it would happen. Only 7 of us were left outside waiting. The Cloud Room came back to their van, they told me they were heading out to San Jose, and then to Los Angeled for the next Muse show. John and I talked for about 10-15 more minutes, and then my friend started punching me in the arm, trying to get my attention. I tell him to stop, and he keeps hitting me, finally, he turns me around, and their is Muse's drummer (Chris), signing autographs. So I say bye to John, he gets in the van, and I turn my attention to Muse. I ask him to sign my guitar (on the 1st fret) and for a picture with him, and he agrees. Then Matt comes out, and does the same thing (2nd fret). Eventually I find Dom (bass) by the bus, and ask him to do the same (4th fret). So they head out, and we drive home. Final time is about 2am... VERY long day.

This was possibly one of the greatest nights I have ever experienced... There is something about Muse that is epic. I have a feeling that they will be around for awhile, and grow into something even bigger. The Cloud Room is also a great upcoming band, I highly reccommend them,

Thanks for the review. Reminded me a lot of my thoughts/feelings on my first Muse concert :up:

How was City Of Delusion? I reeeeally hope they play that in Phoenix. From what I've seen in a short clip on YouTube, they didn't have any violinists accompany them for the string portion of the song. I was looking forward to that :grumpy:

I'm also looking forward to seeing The Cloud Room open. Been a fan of theirs for a while. Any idea if The Immigrants are going to support for the rest of the tour as well? This is the first I've heard of that.

Oh, and Dom is the drummer and Chris is the bass player ;)

Queen Bee said:
Thanks for the review. Reminded me a lot of my thoughts/feelings on my first Muse concert :up:

How was City Of Delusion? I reeeeally hope they play that in Phoenix. From what I've seen in a short clip on YouTube, they didn't have any violinists accompany them for the string portion of the song. I was looking forward to that :grumpy:

I'm also looking forward to seeing The Cloud Room open. Been a fan of theirs for a while. Any idea if The Immigrants are going to support for the rest of the tour as well? This is the first I've heard of that.

Oh, and Dom is the drummer and Chris is the bass player ;)

haha, 2nd time I screwed that up... Chris just seems like a drummer name, as Dom a bass player... So I call it that way lol. Well, John told me that Muse double booked. They invited Immigrants to open, since they did for their European tours, and overlooked the fact they already had one, to my understanding. So I think it was a one time thing. City of Delusion was AMAZING. He doubled the acoustic as an electric, so all of the distortion, pic scratching, etc... It was awesome. He did the trumpet solo on his guitar.

Zooropa1310 said:
City of Delusion was AMAZING. He doubled the acoustic as an electric, so all of the distortion, pic scratching, etc... It was awesome. He did the trumpet solo on his guitar.

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Matt never ceases to amaze me. I'm trying not to get my hopes up because it's likely they might not play it, but holy hell that sounds awesome. Especially the trumpet solo on guitar. Oh man. I can't even imagine... :drool: And following that performance with Stockholm Syndrome! Must've been incredible. Did they do a jam at the end of Stockholm?

Queen Bee said:

Matt never ceases to amaze me. I'm trying not to get my hopes up because it's likely they might not play it, but holy hell that sounds awesome. Especially the trumpet solo on guitar. Oh man. I can't even imagine... :drool: And following that performance with Stockholm Syndrome! Must've been incredible. Did they do a jam at the end of Stockholm?

Not only did they do the jam, they did part of it 3 feet in front of me :) I still can't even comprehend the show.

Queen Bee said:
Do you remember if Matt used a guitar like this during Invincible?

Aaaaand I'll stop asking questions now.
:shifty:

Ask away, I love it, I loive reliving it.

Yes, he did. Thats his Kaoss pad... basically a modern day synt controlled by movement. He also used it on a few other songs.... I cant remember which ones, I think he may have messed with it on plug in baby, and I want to say Starlight.

EDIT: Also, my favorite song of the new album, Invincible, I gave a big write up on it on another Muse site if you're interested.

:ohmy: I've got tickets to see them, but they don't come to England for aaaaaaages.

I have to wait 'til November before I see 'em. But I'm sooo excited :wink:

LemonMacPhisto said:
those pictures are fucking amazing! :drool:

Completely, I can't wait until November :wink:

Good idea about the camping thing Zooropa1310, I don't want to be halfway back and be unable to see a thing - thanks :D

Ok, the show was awesome last night! It was the first time I or HG had seen Muse live, so we both had a lot of fun. HG's highlight was Stockholm Syndrome, which I also rocked out to in large amounts. I'm not sure what my favorite was since I liked pretty much the entire show a great deal. I was surprised by how good Supermassive Black Hole was live. I was quite happy to hear Sunburn too, as I wasn't expecting anything from Showbiz. I rocked out greatly to Plug In Baby, I do believe my fist pounded the air a few times to that one. Overall, very enjoyable and cool show. As I've heard numerous times, Muse is defintely great live.

:up:

I'd like to see a setlist if anyone compiled one.

As always, Muse put on a fucking awesome show last night. They played just about everything I was hoping to hear. I had a good idea what they were going to play since I listened to the soundcheck (though, they did rehearse Apocalypse Please which wasn't performed last night), but it didn't hinder my experience at all. Another perk was standing right in front of Matt. Man oh man, what an amazing performer. I had a huge grin on my face throughout the whole show. I must've looked like a complete dork :dance:

u2popmofo said:
Ok, the show was awesome last night! It was the first time I or HG had seen Muse live, so we both had a lot of fun. HG's highlight was Stockholm Syndrome, which I also rocked out to in large amounts. I'm not sure what my favorite was since I liked pretty much the entire show a great deal. I was surprised by how good Supermassive Black Hole was live. I was quite happy to hear Sunburn too, as I wasn't expecting anything from Showbiz. I rocked out greatly to Plug In Baby, I do believe my fist pounded the air a few times to that one. Overall, very enjoyable and cool show. As I've heard numerous times, Muse is defintely great live.

:up:

I'd like to see a setlist if anyone compiled one.

Yes, yes, yes :up:

Stockholm Syndrome was one of my personal highlights too (and City of Delusion, obviously). You can tell that's one of the band's favorite songs to perform live. They absolutely rip the stage.

Honestly, it was practically a flawless show from start to finish. I don't care too much for Soldier's Poem, but it's rather short anyway. I was ecstatic that Sunburn made a return and that Knights of Cydonia closed the set. The stage setup blew me away - the galloping horses on screen, the screens projecting the lyrics with the audience singing along and not to mention the way the band rocks out at the end of the song :drool:

Anyway, this is as much as I've been able to figure out from last night's set. Not sure on New Born's placement, though.

Take A Bow
Hysteria
Map Of The Problematique
Assassin
Butterflies And Hurricanes
Supermassive Black Hole
Sunburn
Soldier's Poem
Starlight
Plug In Baby
New Born (?)
City Of Delusion
Stockholm Syndrome
Encore:
Time Is Running Out
Knights of Cydonia

I have a couple of dodgy audio recordings :shifty:

Annnnnd
P7220758.jpg

Also briefly met Dom and Chris after the show and got them to sign my B&H CD jacket. Matt got bombarded by fans when he came out, so I didn't get a chance to get his signature. Very friendly guys though, especially Chris :up:

Okay, here's the correct setlist:

1. Take a Bow
2. Hysteria
3. Map of the Problematique
4. New Born
5. Assassin
6. Butterflies & Hurricanes
7. Supermassive Black Hole
8. Sunburn
9. Soldier's Poem
10. Starlight
11. Plug in Baby
12. City of Delusion
13. Stockholm Syndrome
Encore:
14. Time is Running Out
15. Knights of Cydonia
16. Space Dementia (guitar instrumental outro)

And some of my semi-craptastic photos are here!

:drool:

come to my backyard Muse... :sad:

I'll take you guys to see Snakes on a Plane with me :wink:

LemonMacPhisto said:
:drool:

come to my backyard Muse... :sad:

I'll take you guys to see Snakes on a Plane with me :wink:

:lmao:

I just download "Starlight" off iTunes today. I love it so much! Does anyone else think that it sounds a bit like a Coldplay song, at least melody-wise? I apologize if this was already said.

LikeNoOneBefore said:

:lmao:

I just download "Starlight" off iTunes today. I love it so much! Does anyone else think that it sounds a bit like a Coldplay song, at least melody-wise? I apologize if this was already said.

People normally say that Starlight sounds a lot like U2, funny you should say Coldplay :wink:.

So.... For all that saw Muse.... How would you compare it to a U2 show?

I feel like a traitor, U2 being my first concert, all time favorite band, and then... Me having thoughts that Muse was... better. QueenBee, you had front row, probably the EXACT spot as me, since you were in front of Matt. What did you think? Incredible?

I'll be at the Chicago show! I can't wait. The show they put on here in St. Louis on the last tour was amazing.

Zooropa1310 said:
I feel like a traitor, U2 being my first concert, all time favorite band, and then... Me having thoughts that Muse was... better. QueenBee, you had front row, probably the EXACT spot as me, since you were in front of Matt. What did you think? Incredible?

Oh man. Mindblowingly incredible, especially being that close. Matt was very lively last night and approached my side of the stage quite a bit. I came close to touching his guitar but I was worried about dropping my camera. He seemed to have a lot of fun during Time Is Running Out. At one point he let the audience sing the chorus and he had a huge grin on his face. Quite rare for him :wink:

City Of Delusion blew me away just as I knew it would. I'm so thrilled they played it and followed it with Stockholm Syndrome. Two of my favorite Muse songs ever :up:

I hope they get big in the US soon. I'm sick of this NICKELBACK, GREEN DAY!! STAIND, POD, LINKIN PARKKKK horseshit.

Atleast have that Oasis-level of fame that the Gallagher bros. had from '95-'97.

Queen Bee said:

Oh man. Mindblowingly incredible, especially being that close. Matt was very lively last night and approached my side of the stage quite a bit. I came close to touching his guitar but I was worried about dropping my camera. He seemed to have a lot of fun during Time Is Running Out. At one point he let the audience sing the chorus and he had a huge grin on his face. Quite rare for him :wink:

City Of Delusion blew me away just as I knew it would. I'm so thrilled they played it and followed it with Stockholm Syndrome. Two of my favorite Muse songs ever :up:

I loved that part, where he walks away from the mic for the "I wont let you murder it, I wont let you smother it" (I chose those lyrics, because I can't spell "barry it," and I would look like an idiot trying to :wink:)

EDIT: And I agree... he doesn't seem to smile much. He seems like a very angry person. Did you happen to get any pictures with the band? And what time did they come out for autogaphs and such? They came out at about 2am for us... so only 7 people were left lol

Back
Top Bottom