Muse - Absolution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
Anyone know this band - 'Muse'? Anyone a fan?

I just discovered them last night and, despite the freakish thom-yorke-ness of singer Matt Bellamy's voice, I think a good number of songs on this 'Absolution' album(which I've promptly downloaded) are pretty amazing. Particular standouts so far are 'Time Is Running Out', and 'Butterflies And Hurricanes'.

Great stuff, at least so far.

Origin Of Symmetry is just as good. I recommend that. I saw them in Dallas in May and good lord they kicked ass. One of the best live shows I've ever seen.

Yes, Ruckman, they fucking rock.

no..they're not.
They are an emo cock-rock band whose lyrics alone are enough to warrant shelfing them under the "nobody will remember them" section

granted the music is sometimes reminiscent of Queen and Radiohead, which I guess is where people find an appeal, but it is still hyper-glossy, smarmy, and lyrically repetative.

I think I'd like them more if they were instrumental.

LASTLY, Absolution is probably their worst. At least in Origins of Symmetry many of the songs were pretty well-crafted, meadering from section to section and stringing them together almost flawlessly. Absolution sees them more Middle of the Road.

I love them. Matt Bellamy is an amazing musician but I agree with Basstrap somewhat about the lyrics yet I think there is great potential there--and the music is so awesome I really don't care about the lyrics in this case. I caught some of their Live 8 show from Paris but missed most of it. Hope I can catch the whole thing on one of the rebroadcasts.

agreed - one of the best rock bands around today. Not so keen on their slower stuff but the heavier stuff is great. I started on Origin Of Symmetry, although I now find that the weakest of the three. Favourite song of theirs has to be Showbiz, title song from the first album, it's just powerful.

Also are superb live, if you can find a copy of their Glastonbury performance from last year, you'll see this.

RA-D said:
Favourite song of theirs has to be Showbiz, title song from the first album, it's just powerful.

That's "Sunburn", what a great track! the chorus is the soul of the song. Also "Muscle Museum" is pretty amazing.

Basstrap said:
no..they're not.
They are an emo cock-rock band whose lyrics alone are enough to warrant shelfing them under the "nobody will remember them" section

Aahahaha!

Well Muse are huge over here and for good reason! Superb group doing all the 'pushing boundaries, etc. etc.' stuff and with excellent results. Great live as well, saw them last year! Yet they're relatively unknown over there I heard and their US label refused to release Origin of Symmetry originally! :huh:

blahblahblah said:
Well Muse are huge over here and for good reason! Superb group doing all the 'pushing boundaries, etc. etc.' stuff and with excellent results. Great live as well, saw them last year! Yet they're relatively unknown over there I heard and their US label refused to release Origin of Symmetry originally! :huh:

Ok, gotcha. Yeah, you're right--when I bought Origin of Symmetry a few months ago it was an import. :mad:

I love Absolution. I think my favourite track is Time is Running Out. Absolution (or is it Sing for Absolution? you know. that song), Hysteria, and Thoughts of a Dying Athiest are brilliant also.

I have Origin of Symmetry too, Absolution is rather tame compared to it...Origin of Symmetry is probably better. I have a live performace of Citizen Erased which rules. I would love to see Muse live. They're one of the better bands out there.

I finally bought Origin of Symmetry. All I have to say is... :bow:

BTW, the new album should be out in May but no confirmation yet.

bollox said:
bump. because absolution rocks.

uh, anybody know what they played @ live8?

Paris, I think....

I love Muse, they're amazing. I've never seen them live, but they're on my list of people to see (right underneath U2). Absolution is a great album, Stockholm Syndrome and The Small Print are the best songs.

Origin Of Symmetry is better, Plug In Baby or Citizen Erased is the best track.

Anyone know what the new album's gonna be called?

Total U2 Nut said:

Paris, I think....

I love Muse, they're amazing. I've never seen them live, but they're on my list of people to see (right underneath U2). Absolution is a great album, Stockholm Syndrome and The Small Print are the best songs.

Origin Of Symmetry is better, Plug In Baby or Citizen Erased is the best track.

Anyone know what the new album's gonna be called?

It isn't titled yet.

Plug-In Baby :drool: That synthesized bass is incredible.

Looks like they'll be making the festival rounds, with rumored headlining spots at Reading and Leeds.

I am still mad I missed them in Atlanta last year. :mad:

Thanks to our very own chizzer for introducing me to them even if it took me awhile to appreciate! :bow:

inmyplace13 said:
Looks like they'll be making the festival rounds, with rumored headlining spots at Reading and Leeds.

:hyper:

I have my ticket already! Can't wait to see Muse again!

Already!? Jeez, I didn't even know they were on sale, damn. Oh well, with a new album out this year, they'll have to tour - so I'll see 'em then. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom