Muse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
u2popmofo said:
I don't think that he sounds that much like him on that track. Similarities, yes. Identical, absolutely not.

Anyone else enjoyed playing Knights of Cydonia on Guitar Hero 3?

to me that song is the closest to thom yorke that I have ever heard in regards to muse songs.. :shrug:

I'm back from the Sydney show!

I arrived to the Sydney Entertainment Centre at around 7.00pm and joined the queue for general admission; by the looks of it, I was the oldest person in the line as it consisted mainly of teenagers. Once inside I decided not to try getting a spot near the centre, which everyone else seemed to do, and instead took a spot in the second row on the far left.

I missed out on the supporting act in Melbourne, and as far as supporting bands go the Checks weren't bad, a nice short energetic set. Their singer was the biggest show-off, prancing and dancing and posing around the stage like a rooster.

I've already gushed about Muse's Melbourne show so if I had to use even bigger superlatives this time around I'd have to go even more over-the-top than the band I'm raving about. But let's just say it confirmed my view that general admission is One True Way to experience a rock concert. When you're watching the gig from afar, you feel like a spectator, up close you feel more like a participant. As much as I loved the Melbourne show, a seat at the back of the arena simply doesn't compare with standing mere metres away from the stage, watching Matt Bellamy jump, kick, spin around in circles, drop to the knees, strike cheesy rock poses, do windmills, smile like a shy child between the songs, wail into the microphone like a pitch-perfect banshee and violate his piano and guitars (including the glittertastic red one!). I also love GA for the chance to see the band members interact with each other; it was priceless to see Chris and Matt grin at each other like a couple of school kids during one of the songs, My only minor annoyance, though it may sound silly, was this: no man, including a fanciable British rock god, should think that it's ok to appear in public with white underwear sticking out above the low black pants. It's just plain wrooooong! :rolleyes:

I can never remember the setlists, but the biggest thrill for me was Bliss which I never heard live before. They also let out giant confetti baloons during the song; one of them landed onstage and Matt popped it with his guitar before walking off. Other variations included Ruled By Secrecy (which I actually recorded in full but then erased by mistake), and Citizen Erased which I bagged a few pages ago but appreciate a lot more now that I've heard it live. They also did two encores, which I figured they would since there was no chance in hell that they wouldn't play Knights of Cydonia before the end.

sydney3.jpg

sydney4.jpg

Saracene said:
When you're watching the gig from afar, you feel like a spectator, up close you feel more like a participant. As much as I loved the Melbourne show, a seat at the back of the arena simply doesn't compare with standing mere metres away from the stage, watching Matt Bellamy jump, kick, spin around in circles, drop to the knees, strike cheesy rock poses, do windmills, smile like a shy child between the songs, wail into the microphone like a pitch-perfect banshee and violate his piano and guitars (including the glittertastic red one!).

LOL, "violate", good choice of word there. Advice to live by, I'll definitely keep this in mind.

Saracene said:
My only minor annoyance, though it may sound silly, was this: no man, including a fanciable British rock god, should think that it's ok to appear in public with white underwear sticking out above the low black pants. It's just plain wrooooong! :rolleyes:

Hahaha!

Love the mention of the guys grinning at each other between songs-awwwwww :cute:. Nice pictures, too, and some great songs mentioned there (hehe, it's fun to watch Matt run around and pop a balloon, isn't it?). Glad you had a good time!

By the way, if you want to get an official setlist, MuseWiki is quite good at posting that sort of thing, so the one from your show should be up sometime soon, I'd imagine-here's the link to all the shows and such if you're interested:

http://www.musewiki.org/Gigs

Again, glad you enjoyed the show :).

Angela

Queen Bee said:

It seems like there's some made up stuff thrown in on the expert setting (maaaaybe on hard too). Still a lot of fun to play, though.

They did that to Message in a Bottle on Guitar Hero II...there's some stuff at the end that definitely isn't in the song :der:

I can't wait to try it though :D

Yeah, the Guitar Hero's do that from time to time. I always like when I realize I'm playing a synthesizer or drum part via guitar.... That or extra notes that aren't actually in the song, developers must have been hearing things!

U2Fanatic4ever said:
I am listening to Hullabaloo Soundtrack right now.. and I SWEAR that "MAP OF YOUR HEAD" , matt sounds identical, dead ringer for Thom Yorke...
Not really, to be honest. Matt's voice is a lot more nasal, less throatiness in the middle voice, and, uh, well just more on key to be honest :wink:

Canadiens1160 said:
Not really, to be honest. Matt's voice is a lot more nasal, less throatiness in the middle voice, and, uh, well just more on key to be honest :wink:

:shrug:to each their own then.. I think they sound alike in that song. Not in any others but that one for some reason.. and this is IMO..:|

Eh...I hear a slight similarity-I can see where you might make the comparison. I don't think it's dead on, personally, but there's the occasional bit where I can hear it. And like you said, 'tis your opinion :).

I do know that this makes me want to go listen to the song again now, though :yes:. Think I shall do that.

Angela

Last edited:
Adelaide 14/11/07

Well, it's taken me almost a week to get around to posting back here again after the Adelaide show last Wednesday night.

All I can say, is that I have not been able to get the night and the music out of my head for the last week!! Muse just completely blew me away - as far as rock shows go (and I've been to MANY!!!) This was right up there, probably in my top 3 or 4 concerts of all time!:love:

The power of the music, Matt's gorgeous vocals, his dramatic piano playing (i wish i could play HALF as good as him!!), The energy of the other guys, the INCREDIBLE light show - it all just combined perfectly for one HELL of a show!!:rockon::rockon:

Saracene said:
When you're watching the gig from afar, you feel like a spectator, up close you feel more like a participant. As much as I loved the Melbourne show, a seat at the back of the arena simply doesn't compare with standing mere metres away from the stage.
[/B]

...My only regret is that I was up in the stands. I was hoping to have been pregnant by now, so didn't want to risk getting GA tickets, and then not being able to get seats if I needed them. All I wanted to do all night tho was just get down there in that mosh pit - it just was going off!!! I probably would have looked like a complete dick, being twice the age of most of the kids in there, but it just looked like the energy down there was incredible!!

The setlist was:

01 - Take a bow
02 - Map of the Problematique
03 - New Born
04 - Butterflies and Hurricanes
05 - Supermassive Black Hole
06 - Citizen Erased
07 - Ruled by Secrecy
08 - Feeling Good
09 - Sunburn
10 - Hysteria
11 - Fury
12 - Starlight
13 - The Groove (instrumental)
14 - Time Is Running Out
15 - Stockholm Syndrome + outro (Dead Star and maybe Hyper Music riffs)
-----------------
16 - Plug In Baby
17 - Knights of Cydonia

I would have loved to have seen Invincible, that's my only tiny little change i would have made to the setlist - other than that, it was pretty much perfect as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, for anyone who wants to have a look, here are my photos (well some of the 200+ I took):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/acrobat73/sets/72157603203785765/

And here are a couple of (dodgy) videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH5LAyzvFxA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvDkR2lLSqc

Glad you had a great time! Nice setlist-shame you didn't get to hear "Invincible", that song's quite good live. I got a whole new appreciation for it after hearing them perform it. Maybe next time. Still some great songs there nonetheless.

And hopefully next time you'll be able to be right up in the thick of things as well. But for being farther away from the stage as you were, you still managed to get some AWESOME pictures (I'm jealous, you managed to get some nice closeup shots of the guys. We didn't get that lucky). I love that set design-love the colors, love the images in the background, just gorgeous. And the crowd looks quite energetic, too. Very cool. Will check out those video clips as well. Again, glad you had fun-judging from those pictures, it's no wonder you can't get the whole thing out of your head :).

(All this concert talk is reminding me that it's been just over two months since I saw these guys :sigh:...).

Angela

Thanks Angela.
Yeah, I was pretty happy with how the photos turned out - very glad I upgraded my digital camera - my old one would never have got great pics like that.

Question - does anyone know if/when the Wembley DVD is being released in Australia?

mandy1973 said:
Question - does anyone know if/when the Wembley DVD is being released in Australia?

Muse live says January 2008. Although no mention of where its going to be released....but its safe to assume that we'd get it in Jan '08 me thinks

Nice Mandy :)

Were the videos shot with your camera phone, and if so, what do you use to get 6+ minutes of video. Lila's phone stops at like 20 seconds :(

The audio that comes off the cybershots are great!

I bootleged the entire audio of the Muse gigi In Melbourne, and it came out pretty good! :rockon:

mandy1973 said:

Oh, I'd love a copy of that, have you uploaded it anywhere?

Not yet, i'll put linkage up soon...I haven't even converted Mp3's from the video yet....hopefully I can find the time next week sometime, I'll let you know!

Looking forward to that whenever you get the chance, bono_man2002 :up:. I'm glad the bootleg turned out good.

mandy1973 said:
Thanks Angela.
Yeah, I was pretty happy with how the photos turned out - very glad I upgraded my digital camera - my old one would never have got great pics like that.

Yeah, digital cameras are good that way :D. You're welcome-and I love the video clips as well, I wouldn't call those dodgy at all! They were pretty decent quality. "Starlight" sounded lovely...I love the end of that song, when Matt's voice goes up on the first of the last few refrains of "Hold you in my arms". And "Knights Of Cydonia"-hehe, the crowd seemed to be having a blast there, I admire your restraint in not jumping around, especially during a song like that :p. Again, glad you had fun, certainly looks like it was an excellent show.

Angela

Great stuff you guys have! Just back from the airport where I met the guys with Slopsy! They are soooooo awesome and friendly! Slopsy has a fantastic story to tell about meeting them too....I'll drag her here! They signed the cd book for me (and my besotted 8yr old daughter!).....talk about a fun day!

gluey said:
Great stuff you guys have! Just back from the airport where I met the guys with Slopsy! They are soooooo awesome and friendly! Slopsy has a fantastic story to tell about meeting them too....I'll drag her here! They signed the cd book for me (and my besotted 8yr old daughter!).....talk about a fun day!

how the hell do you get so lucky? and Slopsy! :ohmy:

congrats.. :D

:lol: That's all it is....luck....omg they are THE nicest guys!! Matt broke Slopsys camera on Thursday when the flew in...he was holding it to take a pic of her and Dom when he dropped it.....they bought her a new one!!! We nearly missed them today...our domestic terminals are in 2 separate areas....we were convinced they would be using one particular airline - both airlines had flights leaving at the same time of 1pm....I decided at 12.30 to chance it and try the other terminal...I just got there to see them walking through the doors, suitcases in hand....I phoned slopsy and all I could say was "RUN!"....she made it there in record time leaving a wake of shocked people behind her :lol:...the guys recognised her straight away and I took pics of her with each of them!!! I don't think any of it has sunk in yet! And the freaky thing is that we meet them exactly a year after meeting U2!!! *twilight zone music*

gluey said:
:lol: That's all it is....luck....omg they are THE nicest guys!! Matt broke Slopsys camera on Thursday when the flew in...he was holding it to take a pic of her and Dom when he dropped it.....they bought her a new one!!! We nearly missed them today...our domestic terminals are in 2 separate areas....we were convinced they would be using one particular airline - both airlines had flights leaving at the same time of 1pm....I decided at 12.30 to chance it and try the other terminal...I just got there to see them walking through the doors, suitcases in hand....I phoned slopsy and all I could say was "RUN!"....she made it there in record time leaving a wake of shocked people behind her :lol:...the guys recognised her straight away and I took pics of her with each of them!!! I don't think any of it has sunk in yet! And the freaky thing is that we meet them exactly a year after meeting U2!!! *twilight zone music*

friggin amazing! :ohmy:

What kind of camera did slopsy have? How did they know you would be back again at the airport after matt dropping the camera? Did they tell you to come back?

now, the question is how cute is Matt????? and his blue eyes?
Is he looking just like this but shorter hair ..:drool:
blueeyedmatt-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom